4.16 won't load dss files

mssonicblue

• 2 weeks later...
The developers are aware of this DSS issue and are franticly attempting to rectify the problem. They wouldn't give me a date for when the new release would be out, but I can assure you that it will be ASAP. You can get Express Scribe v4.15 from www.fish4files.com/download.php?fil...4b6347ca6336641.

Neither 4.15 nor 4.17 works for me. Are there any older versions out there?

edit: just tried .08; no dice.

Guys, please be aware that the DSS issue has indeed been fixed! If you cannot play your DSS files it's because they're corrupt or something, which is what's happening in critters case. Try getting the DSS files again from your source, or alternatively request they use a more robust audio format.

The dss files from an Olympus digital recorder work fine on my desktop and fine on my daughter's laptop, however, I still come up with 0 content on my laptop. I have unstalled and reinstalled different versions, installed the extra component and still come up with 0 content. Please advise what else can be done.

Thanks

Barbara

Guys, please be aware that the DSS issue has indeed been fixed! If you cannot play your DSS files it's because they're corrupt or something, which is what's happening in critters case. Try getting the DSS files again from your source, or alternatively request they use a more robust audio format.

Well, I appreciate the thought, but I think you're wrong here. Getting new DSS files didn't help, and the new program can play the old ones.

Well, I appreciate the thought, but I think you're wrong here. Getting new DSS files didn't help, and the new program can play the old ones.

My recorder is an Olympus DS50.

Version 4.17 of Express Scribe will play my dss files.

HOWEVER, they can only be of a certain duration. If the sound file is short, say an hour, it loads just fine. If you load a file that is five hours long, it cuts off the last 20 or 30 minutes of the sound file.

I have replicated this time and time again for my scopist.

I have played the same files in Windows Media Player and the files play all the way through to the end.

I have loaded the files in Gear Player (another dss player) and the files play just fine.

The problem is with Express Scribe unfortunately.

This is incorrect. ES cannot play my DSS files, which were sent to NCH for testing. The file was not corrupted in any way, and NCH was able to load/play it correctly. Since I am not the only user experiencing this problem, there must be some kind of ongoing issue with ES and DSS files even though the last version was supposed to have fixed it. I am continuing to rely on my Olympus software to transcribe my DSS files since they are proprietary to it anyhow.

As far as requesting a different audio format, please be advised that as transcriptionists, we are at the mercy of whatever equipment is used for dictation. We have no control over the type of audio file received, which is why we would like to rely on ExpressScribe since it purports to support a wide range of formats. Unfortunately that is not the case and we must rely on other transcription software for DSS files. I would highly recommend NCH continue to address DSS file problems rather than simply dismiss them as they did in this forum post, since it is obvious that there is a ongoing problem judging by the persistent postings here concerning this.

Just double checking, are you all running the latest version of Express Scribe? (Download the installer on our site now and use this.) Have you tried installing an older version before this "DSS issue" started occurring? Results?

Be aware that Olympus have recently changed their DSS format, which is why problems started occurring in the first place. Try loading an old DSS file you have and see if you have any success with this.