4.16 won't load dss files

mssonicblue

I am having the same problem, even after I ran the dss plugin (or whatever it is).

The files appear to load in the ES window, but they all show there is 0 duration, then after a few seconds, ES states it is going to delete them from ES because they have a 0 duration.

I am having the same problem, so perhaps there is a problem with version 4.16??? I am a new Express Scribe user. I downloaded version 4.15 on my laptop a few days ago, and all my .dss files played fine. Today I downloaded the new 4.16 version on my desktop and tried to load the same .dss files and they all come up with 00:00 duration and I get an error message that says "File is not able to be played in Express Scribe" "The audio file XXXXXXX has a duration equal to 0 seconds, it will now be deleted from Express Scribe". When you click OK, all the files get deleted! I can't figure out how to stop it from doing that.

Again, this is only happening with version 4.16 on my desktop computer. Version 4.15 works fine on my laptop.

Any idea what is causing this??

I am having the same problem. Today is the first time I have tried ES. It is v 4.16.

It opened my WMA file just fine, but when I try to open DSS files, it gives me 0:00 duration and then deletes them from the list.

Was hoping to switch to ES from a different player, but now cannot until this issue is explained.

Can anyone tell me how to go back to version 4.15 until NCH corrects this?

Not 4.15 but 4.05, which I find very reliable...near the bottom of the Scribe website is a secondary site to download the application. When I downloaded, to my delight it was 4.05 that downloaded, and not 4.16

Thanks Kudura. I uninstalled 4.16 and downloaded 4.05 and my .dss files play just fine now. Hopefully NCH corrects this issue soon!

Here is the link for version 4.05 incase anyone else needs it.

http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/index.html

Scroll down toward the bottom of the page and click the link that says "Download Express Scribe for Windows (Primary Server - zip file).

Phew.....am I glad I found this topic.

We have been using Express scribe on two machiens at work for a few months now.

Last week we downloaded a new copy of ES and bought a nice new VEC footpedal and installed them on a a third machien that we have placed in a branch office.

Problem. The blasted thing won't play .dss files that play perfectly on the other two machines.

I have been to the "components" site and downloaded/installed the dss32 file and the vecusb file as well. but the files will not play. Eventualy after about a minute or so a box appears that says the file is zero length and is going to be deleted.

As a check I've downloaded the new ES to one of our working machines and it still worlk! So fromt hat I infer that there is something in the third machine's setup which is preventing ES from runnign correctly.

Any ideas anyone?

Tony Smith

Phew.....am I glad I found this topic.

We have been using Express scribe on two machiens at work for a few months now.

Last week we downloaded a new copy of ES and bought a nice new VEC footpedal and installed them on a a third machien that we have placed in a branch office.

Problem. The blasted thing won't play .dss files that play perfectly on the other two machines.

I have been to the "components" site and downloaded/installed the dss32 file and the vecusb file as well. but the files will not play. Eventualy after about a minute or so a box appears that says the file is zero length and is going to be deleted.

As a check I've downloaded the new ES to one of our working machines and it still worlk! So fromt hat I infer that there is something in the third machine's setup which is preventing ES from runnign correctly.

Any ideas anyone?

Tony Smith

I think it might be a quirk that one machine is working. I still think the version 4.16 is messed up and will not play dss files. NCH needs to fix as soon as possible and in the meantime, bring back version 4.15, which worked well for me.

This is also happening to my PC. DSS won't load but other file types will. <_<

count me in too!!! 90% of my work is dss files and they won't play. reverted back to the 4.05 v (thanks to the link), but the sound quality with it is HORRIBLE compared to 4.15 version. anybody have the link to the 4.15 version until the 4.16 gets fixed?? i can't understand this doc on the 4.05 version. HELP!!!!

I am new to this problem but it is a major stumbling block for me. I loaded 4.16 on my new Vista desktop and have the same 0.00/unload problem as everyone else.

I am new to this board but a long time ES user, when does NCH respond to these serious issues. When I went through the trouble shooting guide they suggested that I use Switch to convert the files to wav or mp3, well Switch version 1.29 on Vista does not work either.

I really need a solution fast.

Let's get rolling on this NCH boys!

The new version of Express Scribe is in testing, if all goes well it will be out very soon.

I have tested it with DSS files and they seem to load correctly, after testing is complete it will be uploaded so keep an eye on the forum and on the site.

I updated to 4.16 today and it will no longer load a dss file. :angry:

I've learned, with many indispensable program such as this, since they all had to change to accommodate Vista, etc., to SAVE and keep a program if I know it will continue to work, with perhaps fewer bells and whistles. That way, when I go to update (and I save that too, with a different name), if that has insurmountable problems, I can reinstall the earlier version I know worked. Scribe is such a small program, it's well worth it.

• 1 month later...

I just had to reinstall ES today and now my DSS won't load, either - same deal - zero duration. I tried going back to all the older versions mentioned here, but none of them are working now, even with files I transcribed and know are fine. Is there any other transcription program y'all know of that I can use since I apparently can't use ES anymore?

I tried going back to all the older versions mentioned here, but none of them are working now, even with files I transcribed and know are fine. Is there any other transcription program y'all know of that I can use since I apparently can't use ES anymore?

Same problem here, neither 4.05 or any other following version are working any more..... Suggestions? I like ES a lot, so I don't want to change.

J.

I just had to reinstall ES today and now my DSS won't load, either - same deal - zero duration. I tried going back to all the older versions mentioned here, but none of them are working now, even with files I transcribed and know are fine. Is there any other transcription program y'all know of that I can use since I apparently can't use ES anymore?

Same here -- I'm new to this board because of this problem. This is really a big issue for those of us whose work depends on these files. Thank goodness I can still access the .dss files on my laptop, but it is really a pain to download the files to one computer and then type them on another. As anyone heard when this might be fixed?

• 3 weeks later...

After reading all the postings on this subject, I'm amazed how many people are experiencing this problem. I am fairly new to Express Scribe. Have only been using it for a little over a month. I've been using it fine at home, I think version 4.05, and using .dss files just fine. I went on vacation and tried installing it on my parents computer. I started with version 4.01 and went up from there. None of the versions would play my .dss files. It shows the file in Express Scribe as far as the name of the file, that it's a dictation file for Express Scribe, shows the date dictated and the time, but no duration time and won't work even if I use the controls through Express Scribe. It's very frustrating and I'm not sure if I'm dealing with a problem through Express Scribe or something going on with the computer I'm using. I sounds like a lot of people are having this problem, but it doesn't sound like there's a quick fix at the moment. Are there any new ideas? Thanks.

Same here -- I'm new to this board because of this problem. This is really a big issue for those of us whose work depends on these files. Thank goodness I can still access the .dss files on my laptop, but it is really a pain to download the files to one computer and then type them on another. As anyone heard when this might be fixed?

I had to reinstall due to a Vista crash. The 4.16 version showed "ZERO DURATION" and wouldn't play my dss files. I tried the suggested 4.15 version, but same thing. Then I tried the 4.05 suggestion (from http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/index.html choose "primary"). PHEW! It didn't play at first, but then I remembered to also download the component "dss32.exe" from http://www.nch.com.au/components/index.html. It is better than ever!

THANKS to all of you who threw suggestions out for us, WITH posted links!

• 2 weeks later...

hmmm I was very happy when I found this topic, but after trying the link I still have the same problems: I get the 4.17 download from the link. Can somebody please help me get the 4.05 version? I've got a lot of people who use .dss files so a player that works with that would be great!

Thanks!

Paul

I am having the same exact problem, I thought I was doing something wrong as I have never used this software before. But the administrator message on this board, he/she wrote that on November 6th and said it would be fixed ASAP. It is now over two months later, what the heck?!? I can't get any of the versions I download to work and I need to type so I can make some money. Please help faster!!!