Length of Video before becoming unstable to carry on

GDAS

I have about 1 1/4hrs video I have edited and when I close it and then next day open it it up the video is partial jumbled up. The video are in different places along the story line to give you and idea what is going on.

Is there a limit how much video to be on a story line and also amount of alteration done to video before it corrupts?

It takes a long time to sort out the story line and you guessed it getting sick and tired of Video editors behavior. lol

Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  Then you're protected, and can step back to earlier edits just by clicking the appropriate VPJ file.  Click the chevron to the right of the Save Project button to see the AS choice.

There's no stated length limit.  What version of Videopad is being used?  Try the latest.  This release is 64-bit and better handles large projects.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

Hi Borate

I have had this version for 3 or more years and cannot lose the data I have got so won't download unless it gets worse. Is that a wise move?  

My version is Video Pad Professional v8.56

Looking at how many versions I have missed out on, I see a lot.

Would this affect the performance of the program not having all these upgrades?

I do also see the cost for upgrades is in American dollars which amount to a heck of a lot of Aussie dollars for wanting a stable video program.

However I will wait to see if you really recommend to do the upgrades.

While the 8.x series is dated, its performance should not deteriorate.  And newer releases may not be fully backwards compatible.  Try a reinstall, after rebooting your PC.

Newer versions can always be test driven, to assess new features and quirks.  Just retain your registration info and 8.x installer.  If you don't have it handy look under "C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\VideoPad".   It can also be downloaded on line.

Share your project and point on specific trouble spots.  Someone will check it out.  The process is easy, quick and can be done privately.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Ok just to add to this problem it has happened on more than a few occasions re the instability.

Today still I tried to reassemble the timeline but just got too much. Here a few things I noticed today that just made it impossible for me to go on.

1; when moving text, video or Audio the time line produced a gap which was not the item I was suppose to be moving as I clicked on the text on the timeline but everything else moved which it is not suppose to do. 

2: There was more than only one of the same text on the time line 

3: Jumbling up of the video and text positions.

This video is a private video in regards family matters so you don't get to see what the video is about?

Text that is normally placed on a higher (overlay) track and moving it will not affect other tracks.  If it is on the same track as video clips then it's just another clip and, as with any video/audio clip, shifting it could affect other clips or tracks dependent upon the circumstance.

Holding down <alt> may prevent this.  If other tracks are being affected unintentionally, lock them by right-clicking in the area to the left of the track.

If an adjustment isn't what you want, immediately click <ctrl-Z> to backtrack, step-by-step.

Consider exporting a section of the project that is good, then begin anew working on the next.  The exports become clips which can be merged for final export.  Of course, routinely Save AS each section.

Without seeing the project privately (no one else will view it) it's tough to pin down specifics.

Hi

The advice still stands..So that you always have a copy of your project that you can go back to in the event that edits don't work or you muck things up, save your project regularly. Use the option Save Project File As  ...

zz.jpg

Give it a unique name or number and you can reload that specific save and re-open your work at that point.  Save Project File As does not overwrite a previous save. You can also undo something that messes things up by clicking the blue back arrow on the top tool bar.

As Borate mentions, keep texts on an upper track as far as possible and they can be moved without disturbing lower tracks. Remember you can groups clips to keep them together and also lock tracks to stop them moving.

Nat

• borate changed the title to Length of Video before becoming unstable to carry on

GDS

What I would do and I know this is long winded, but could you save several projects of different sections of the film and then combine them after they are all rendered?

So maybe have 5 x 15 minutes in each separate project, AS WELL as the original?

Hi Nat Solo, Yes I think it has now stopped as I went to save video and giving it a unique No and the story line is staying stable .

Thanks Guys for your help I am still learning how to use this program and little things like that make a huge difference to stability.

I am about make another topic about that when using Recording of something that is annoying that happens...

-0-

Yes nutiniel have thought of doing that but I was just saving it but not doing how i should have done it by giving it a extra name each time I edit the film. Actually it makes a lot of sense what Borate and NationalSolo said.

The plan is always to do a video and keeping it simply together makes for saving time.

Cheers

Upgrade your computer!

VP is extremely resource hungry when the project gets longer or when the editing gets more complex.

Sadly the 64 bit version won't make a huge difference. v8.56 is not that old.

At some point the amount of cache file generating / deleting will bog down any system.

The whole cache file system is in a desperate need for a complete overhaul i.m.h.o. (Waiting minutes to delete some cache files is just ridiculous)

When starting a new project, click OPTIONS | DISK tab and Clear Unused Cache Files.  You can use this at any time during editing.

If returning to the most recent project do not clear the cache.

Be sure that the caching disk (usually C:\) has ample free space, or direct the cache folder to a drive that does, at the bottom of the same screen.cache.jpg

The cache contains small files that speed up editing.  When loading content, allow the green cache line to complete. 

image.png

Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.

That AS choice is available via the MENU | FILE drop-down image.png

or, when the HOME tab is active, by clicking the chevron to the right of the Save Project button.  image.png

If Videopad becomes sluggish, try the 64-bit version, which is capable of handling more complex and lengthy projects.

VP is deleting cache files all  the time. Only since recent updated they added a notification about this process, with the option to cancel it (best update)

You are probably better of deleting the cache files manually using windows file explorer. Go to bed and let v.p. generate new cache files.

At some point the amount of files in a folder will negatively effect any windows program. They should put all that cache stuff in a decent database instead of relying on the file system!

5 hours ago, Uberprutser said:

You are probably better of deleting the cache files manually using windows file explorer. Go to bed and let v.p. generate new cache files.

Yeah, I noticed there was 20GB+ extra in my C drive this morning before I did my usual clean up. 

Hi borate, is there an option for the cache to clear automatically on shutdown? 

There might not be an option you can configure. But 64bit versions have been notifying me about a cache clean-up when ever I close a project. This also happens at other times when v.p. is running. You can either wait or press the cancel button. I think this would qualify as an automatic clean-up, you can not opt out from. :)