Problem converting 16 bit TIF files

Russ Croucher

I am using "Pixillion" version 8.09 to convert a 16-bit TIF file of 48 bits per pixel to reverse the image.  The scanner requires the emulsion side of the image to be reversed to produce Optima and results.  In using this program as the last step 2 reverse all pictures in a folder it downsizings the that TIF files to 8 bits.  This is fine with JPEG but not 16 bit TIF files.  Is there a solution?

I have all 100 MB 16-bit TIF file that I want to reverse mirror and produce a 16-bit output TIF file and it seems like it only downsize it to 8 bits and converted to a 23 MB 8-bit TIF file.  The filter and the structure of the folder works great but it seemed like it only outputs an 8 bit TIF file not as 16-bit TIF file.  Is this true?

Hello, I tested the program and the only time I got the 8bit images was when selecting the 256 color option under options.  If you don't use this option you will get 16 ir 24bit images, depending on the original file bit depth. 

I'm frustrated because the 100 MB file I mentioned above has 48 bits of color 16 each for RGB.  Once I mirror the TIF file, it is 1/5 the size and the color depth is only 24 bits which would be 8 bits for each RGB.  I did see the 256 option and did not check it because I read about it and that would just defeat everything.

"Chris75" so you have tried a 16-bit TIF file which would produce about 100 MB file and do anything to it rotate it or reverse it and it would output a file of approximate the same size?  When I do that exact same feature it takes my 100 megabytes file and crunches it down to a 20 MB file of only total 24 bits 8 bits per color but TIF format.  The 256 bit option is not checked.

• 8 months later...

I want to update my Pixillon version 8.19 to the latest version but it's longer than 6 months so I would have to get a license and I'll be more than happy to buy several license if the following problem has been fixed.  I having trouble converting 16 bit TIF files (48 RGB bits) to a horizontal flip.  The result works but only at the 8-bit level producing a 24-bit RGB result.  If it now handle 16 bits I would be more than happy to buy several licenses for my business.  Right now I have to do the conversion with Photoshop.  Here is an example folder of my problem.  I have a source TIF file of 92 MB that I run through the program to do a horizontal flip and the result is a 20 MB file only of 8 bits in depth (24 bits total).  If somebody could tell me this problem has been fixed on the new version I will do an upgrade.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuSetTxgq7JxqOEME-5nW7K2G8jEsg?e=HddMUB

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I currently have an older version of this program around v8.09.  They've been advertising the newer version and I tried 10.15 today to see if it supports 16 bit TIF files.  This would be 48 bit color which the program sees clearly and displays at the 48 bit color depth (16 bits per color).  However, when I do a simple horizontal flip it  outputs the TIF file as 24 bits or 8 bits per color.  Are there any formats that support 16 bits of color or 48 bits?  Right now I'm using an open-source program called "mogrify" which will do a TIF file in 48 bits but does not support the directory structure of your program.  So I can use your program for JPEG which is limited to 24 bits but not TIF which is 48 bits.  So does the new version support this format or can I turn it on.  Nowhere in the documentation do I see it supporting 48 bits. Yet send supports raw format which is like 14 bits per color.  When will it be available?