VideoPad v9.04

c_major

VideoPad v9.04 is released with a new video processing pipeline that would utilize GPU acceleration much better than it was.

We are monitoring this release closely. If you found this version crash or any other problem please report the issue here.

Thanks,

VideoPad Team

To anyone that encountered crash issue,

if you are willing to help us to track down and fix the bug, please install and try using this debug build to reproduce the crash:

If the crash happened in the debug build, internal information will be written into a trace log:

C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\trace_VideoPad.txt

Could you please kindly PM me and post the text in the trace log to me?

BTW: I've reverted this release since the crash issue so there will be limited number of users would encounter this issue.

9.04 isn't ready for prime time, and has several issues including the one you cite.  Use this release.

There's no mandate to upgrade, and new versions can always be test driven, unlicensed, to check out new features or quirks.

For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

I have found v9.04 to be borderline unusable, there are just so many bugs.

Pictures and that are added to the sequence are shown in the sequence preview that doesn't correlate with the numerical value put into effects. Same goes for the the scale of pictures and videos. The sequence preview constantly freezes and doesn't reflect where the cursor is on the timeline and sometimes doesn't show anything at all. The bugs persist even when rendering. Videos will render with pictures and clips not shown in the place they were put in the sequence. 

Many of these problems were present in v8.99 and I assumed they would be fixed when updating.

9.04 is a beta that was inadvertently on the server for a short time.  It, and closely dated releases, have GPU usage improvements not yet fully optimized.

It was replaced by 8.97.  Newer versions can always be test driven, to check out features - and quirks.  Suggest waiting until they have proven to be stable.  That's not to say that they are totally flawless, but past releases 8.45 and 8.91 have been good performers.  They are available here.

As the beta warning states:  Prerelease versions have not completed testing and may have bugs, crash or otherwise malfunction. Use them at your own risk. They are provided strictly as-is.  Report issues here.

On 12/30/2020 at 6:00 PM, Shircon42 said:

I have found v9.04 to be borderline unusable, there are just so many bugs.

Pictures and that are added to the sequence are shown in the sequence preview that doesn't correlate with the numerical value put into effects. Same goes for the the scale of pictures and videos. The sequence preview constantly freezes and doesn't reflect where the cursor is on the timeline and sometimes doesn't show anything at all. The bugs persist even when rendering. Videos will render with pictures and clips not shown in the place they were put in the sequence. 

Many of these problems were present in v8.99 and I assumed they would be fixed when updating.

We were unable reproduce some of the issues mentioned above.

If it's possible, could you please share the projects files that can reproduce these issues, especially the ones present in v8.99?

Thanks,

VideoPad Team

• 2 weeks later...

I created a backup of the a project where these problems occur and have provided a link below. The bugs don't just appear in this project though. 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1L6knWFMUZ0_dh-AzAk01wXHSAd1BGrM4?usp=sharing

After emailing with support, I was told the problems are from using  split screen and was given the following instructions 

"1. Upload the files you want to insert into your video (2,3,4...)
2. Add each file to a separate video track in the timeline (video track 1, video track 2, etc.)
3. Select the video/picture from the video track, right-click and select the Effects
4. Click on the Plus button on the upper right and select the Split Screen effect
5. Select the desired greed from the drop-down menu and select the field (A, B, C, D, etc.)
6. Repeat the process for each file from the rest of the video track"

After following the instructions, the bugs definitely appear less frequently but I find that the program feels sluggish when using the split screen effect even though my system resources are not being taxed.

Detected no hangups while massaging your project.

One clip's POSITION effect was missing.  Any double POSITION effects were eliminated and backgrounds that were two clips were consolidated by deleting #2 and extending #1.  Track three background was deleted after repositioning several clips, as it was no longer needed.  It's good practice to use as few tracks/effects as practicable.

While these changes may not reflect precisely what you intend, they should serve to help you analyse what was done.  Tweak as desired.😀

The project also works well using the horizontal-2 SPLIT-SCREEN (fill to fit) A for tracks 1 and 2 and B for track 3.  Easy to build.  After fully caching, no lag.

For now, consider sticking with release 8.97 or 8.99.