New Cache folder setup but still empty

miogpsrocks

Hello,

I setup a new SSD hard drive in my computer dedicated to cache files in videopad in an effort to stableize the system plus I am always running out of space on my C-drive(Also an SSD) 

The new drive that I setup is still empty while the C-drive is 100% utilized. 

It seem that my videopad may not be respecting the settings I setup for all the cache files. 

I reset the program and my computer. The new settings show in the display however there is not a single file on that new hard drive. 

File >Tools> Options>DISK> ( the next 7-options including cache folder are all setup for the dedicated new SDD. 

Any suggestions on what might be going on here ? 

Thanks.

Hi

Can you create a folder on the SSD and save (separately) a file or image to it?  If you can I would have thought VP would save to that folder on the SSD as well provided Options/Disk shows the correct pathway.

here..Using a USB drive (which is perhaps not quite the same) I can create a folder on it ..(VP CACHE (TEMP) , re-direct the cache under Options/Disk to what is now that folder on my E drive. (the USB drive). After closing VP and physically emptying the the C drive cache, leaving it empty. I can re-open VP,create a short test project and check that the cache is now created in the folder on the USB E drive.  It is...

You need to close and reload VP to effect the change. Also make sure that the pathway shown in Options/Disk is correct along with the correct Drive letter...... ( In my case E:\ and not C:\  )

aa.jpg

Nat

I have done everything you asked but still no luck. The software is refusing to cache any files other than the C-drive despite the settings in " DISK CACHE" 

It's like the software has a mind of its own and the settings are just a mild suggestion which is decides to ignore. 

I even reinstalled the software but still no luck. 

https://i.imgur.com/3olkv7r.png

The folder in the settings is empty and I see the temp files are still being written to the C-drive. 

Has this ever been considered a bug in the software or a known issue? 

I open the folder I wanted in, copied and pasted the address from the bar into the Videopad settings.

Are you saying I have to manually explore using the browse in order for the settings to take effect even if they are being displayed in the software as you can see from the picture.  If so, this will literally be the only software I have ever used in my life that you have to do this for.

I would however be very happy if that ends up working since I have spend all night trying to do this.

By the way, many of the files are located in AppData>local>Temp>videopadsoundcache 

I thought I replied to this topic or did I get censored? Strange, weird things going on here. Lets try again.

I'm going to be doing something similar to the topic started in the hope to boost vp performance. You could try to mount the new volume to the original vp cache folder. I believe windows call this a junction.

• borate changed the title to New Cache folder setup but still empty

I did not get a chance to try out your new method.

I think I finally got it working however I had to change the default Temp folder for my entire Windows operating system. Just not 1 temp folder either but like several windows temp folders. https://www.howtogeek.com/285710/how-to-move-windows-temporary-folders-to-another-drive/

So this is not the idea solution but this is how desperate I was after spending an entire night (from sunset to sunrise) to try to get this to work.  

The settings for Videopad never worked even after reinstalling the software.

I will have to give that "Junction" thing a try next time around. 

This post was changed to " Solved"

I would like to point out that I solved it by changing advance system settings in Windows because the Videopad software refused to honor the settings inputted in the correct place. 

This software takes commands and settings are suggestions which it ignores and does it own thing. 

This is not just for this one issue but with many other things as well.  I would move files around and hold down Shift and it would still crop the other files on the timeline. It would work sometimes and other times not work. The worst of all words is to have something that is flaky like this. Giving the illusion its working but only have it work sometimes and other others. 

The video on the sequence are misrepresented what may actually be there as well has hidden phantom/orphans files that are invisible underneath other files.  

This software need to put in certain conflict resolution behinds the scenes to prevent this kind of thing from happening. 

They will have 2 pieces of video/audio on the same sequence line. 

These are serious problem that need to be fixed with this software. 

Launched the current release here, Cleared Unused Cache Files, then for cache location browsed to a TEMP folder on a different SSD drive.
After closing VP, relaunching and loading a project, all the cache files were on the SSD.  None were at the former default location.
So cannot replicate your findings here.

Don't recall mention in the forum of "hidden/phantom/orphan files underneath other files."  From the description, echoed in your other recent posts, it's difficult to envision exactly what is taking place.  But if If this were common, there should be other reports.

When <shift> is held down while rearranging clips, it prevents snapping to the precise joint between clips, making it easy to unintentionally fragment the clip at the drop point.  This may be what you are experiencing.

Don't use <shift>.  When shuffling clips on the timeline, or dropping/inserting a clip from the bin, the right-facing chevron will snap to the precise joint between the other clips.  Or use these  1.jpg  to locate the joint, then right-click on a bin clip to PLACE CLIP ON SEQUENCE AT CURSOR.

An alternative is to select all clips to the right of the intended drop point and drag them right - to create a gap.  Then move the desired clip to the gap and CLOSE GAP, via the right-click drop-down menu.  No need to group.