v7.05 Release Note

JimmyRustle

Some minor fixes:

• Fixed cursor flickering between two icons when dragging from project window to storyboard window
  • New replace and insert icons cursors used when dragging from project window to timeline window
  • Fixed 'Cut' option working even on a locked track.
  • Fixed certain bubble-tips can display on top of the welcome dialog
  • Fixed FX and Fade buttons working incorrectly in some cases when track is collapsed
  • Fixed Rotate and Flip right-click options not working on image sequence clips

New feature:

• 'Show Alpha Mask' mode on Green Screen effect. Displays the alpha channel in black-and-white, helps you fine-tune the green screen parameters.

Had v.7.00 until this AM. Installed update v.7.05. That's when the problems with transitions started. I read some threads here, and came across others reporting the same problem. I installed v.7.10 just now, and the problem has not gone away, and has also added more issues.

Does not matter which transition is chosen, but it picks up a short segment or still frame from Clip 2, inserts into the transition segment, and then disappears as a hard cut back to the normal segment of Clip 2.  Now, for some transitions, the rogue clip/still insert does not happen, but clip 2 of the transition segment freezes completely instead, but plays normally when the transition is turned off.

This is a program-breaking bug, as it makes one of the key features of video editing unusable.

I have the Pro version.

My Comp. Specs:

MB: ASUS TUF Z270 Mk1
CPU: i7-7700 @ 4.2GHz
GPU:EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61
PSU: EVGA G2 1000W
RAM: 16 GB
Monitor: ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278QR (2560x1440)
KB: Corsair Strafe
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite

Addition to my last:

The transition bugs are random. Some segments transition fine. Some insert a still frame not from Clip 2 (or clip following) but Clip 1 (or clip preceding).

Final clip of the entire movie/segment, when transitioning to a still .JPG/image (captured from VideoPad as a still frame), cuts back a few seconds into a still frame, transitions, then cuts to the image.

Skipping this version. It always seems as though one thing gets fixed and then another one breaks.

I've been having similar problems with 7.05. Fade-in works just fine, but any transitions have problems. It looks like there are two issues:

First clip freezing - When the transition starts, the first clip jumps to what seems to be the last frame in the clip, which then remains still for the rest of the transition.

Second clip out of sync/jumps - The video in the transition for the second clip actually seems to be from some random time further along in the second clip. Looking at an example now, it seems the video is jumping ahead 10-15 seconds for the transition, and then jumps back to the correct position after the transition.

In addition, the Fade transition actually completely fades halfway though. That is, if I set a 10 second Fade, the clip is completely faded to black after 5 seconds. Cross Fade seems to work as intended (other than the freeze frame issue noted above).

This makes VideoPad completely unusable.

Hi

The replacement version is VP 7.10.  This corrects the text scrolling error and whilst the transition between clips appears to work without the jump in clip2, transitions with a single clip...like  Fade complete 1/2 way through the transition. 

This is more evident if you do Fade through White as this goes white by the half way point and then fades into black for the second half.

With a single clip it seems that the WHOLE transition is being used instead of just the first half of it. i.e. a 10 second transition (which would normally be split 50/50 with the next clip..starting 5 seconds before the end of clip 1 and ending 5 seconds into clip 2) is being added 10 seconds before the end of the single clip. It ought to be added 5 seconds before the end of the clip and only the first half used. I am pretty certain that in earlier VP versions the transition at the end of a single clip was actually 1/2 the set duration.

Apart from the fades, other transitions appear to behave as expected either in single clips or joined clips.

Nat

Hi Nat,

I think this is intended behaviour? Makes sense to me at least, and I believe this is the way it's been working so far.

When you only have a Left clip (Clip A) in a transition and no Right clip (Clip B), we take a transparent frame and treat it as the Right clip. So in the case that you add a Fade through White to a singular clip, it will flash white in the middle of the transition, and the rest of the transition is just fading in to the Right clip. Which in this case is a transparent black frame so that you'll see Clip A -> Flash white -> Dip to black. This is logical to me and is consistent with the way that the other transitions work, but I can see how a user might want the transition to end at white. In that case we should actually add a new transition, Fade to White as opposed to Fade through White. But I don't think this transition would be useful at all the in the regular two-clip case.

Regarding the Fade transition however, I do think it initially seems a bit illogical. But here's the tooltip description of the transition: "Fade to Black, then Fade into the following clip". So really, its more like a Fade through Black then a Fade to Black. (techinically, Fade through Transparent would be a better name). So here's what happens in the singular clip case: Clip A -> Totally black at halfway point -> Fade to Clip B. As mentioned before Clip B is really a transparent frame so it pretty much just stays black from a viewer's standpoint. So again I do think this makes sense, although the tooltip was changed some time ago to 'Gradually make faint and disappear' which is far less descriptive to the user as to what is actually happening, so I'll probably change it back. 

Since it's only two transitions which may be confusing to the user when applied to a singular clip, it is possible we could handle these as a special case and progress the fade twice as slowly so make it end at what was previously the middle of the transition. But at the moment I don't see it as a huge issue. Thanks for investigating, however.

11 hours ago, lukpac said:

I've been having similar problems with 7.05. Fade-in works just fine, but any transitions have problems. It looks like there are two issues:

First clip freezing - When the transition starts, the first clip jumps to what seems to be the last frame in the clip, which then remains still for the rest of the transition.

Second clip out of sync/jumps - The video in the transition for the second clip actually seems to be from some random time further along in the second clip. Looking at an example now, it seems the video is jumping ahead 10-15 seconds for the transition, and then jumps back to the correct position after the transition.

In addition, the Fade transition actually completely fades halfway though. That is, if I set a 10 second Fade, the clip is completely faded to black after 5 seconds. Cross Fade seems to work as intended (other than the freeze frame issue noted above).

This makes VideoPad completely unusable.

FYI, 7.10 seems to have corrected the "First clip freezing" issue. I'm using Crossfade at the end of a clip to fade to black, and it's working as expected.

Sounds good.  Most transition issues appear to be history in 7.10.

In tests here, behavior varies, depending upon what transition is programmed on the last clip in a sequence.  This makes some sense, as transitions are normally between clips.

Yet the fade issue that you reported has been confirmed as a bug and should be fixed shortly.

@Jimmy

Thanks for your explanation  which does make sense. On single clips Fade is logical. Fade through white was the odd one to me as I would have expected it to end in white not continue to black.....but as you say it's designed to be used with two clips. A  Fade to white transition might be useful to some users but I'm trying to visualize how it that behave if used with two clips. Presumably clip 2 would fade in from white as the current Fade through white does.

Currently to end at white one would have to add a white blank frame and crossfade into it.

Nat

On 4/8/2019 at 4:19 AM, supersecretsquirrel said:

Had v.7.00 until this AM. Installed update v.7.05. That's when the problems with transitions started. I read some threads here, and came across others reporting the same problem. I installed v.7.10 just now, and the problem has not gone away, and has also added more issues.

Does not matter which transition is chosen, but it picks up a short segment or still frame from Clip 2, inserts into the transition segment, and then disappears as a hard cut back to the normal segment of Clip 2.  Now, for some transitions, the rogue clip/still insert does not happen, but clip 2 of the transition segment freezes completely instead, but plays normally when the transition is turned off.

This is a program-breaking bug, as it makes one of the key features of video editing unusable.

I have the Pro version.

My Comp. Specs:

MB: ASUS TUF Z270 Mk1
CPU: i7-7700 @ 4.2GHz
GPU:EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61
PSU: EVGA G2 1000W
RAM: 16 GB
Monitor: ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278QR (2560x1440)
KB: Corsair Strafe
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite

I have a same problem with you. Today I bought v 7.05 and the transition works strangely. I was using free vesion for only home use and I didn't have any problem. It worked perfectly. I'm disappointed that the fact that the paid one works badly. Should I go back to free version? No way... I hope I can update better version soon.

On 4/11/2019 at 10:36 AM, Nationalsolo said:

transitions with a single clip...like  Fade complete 1/2 way through the transition.

This has actually been happening ever since I first started using VideoPad in 2014. I kept forgetting about reporting it.

Jihye wrote:  Today I bought v 7.05 and the transition works strangely. I was using free version for only home use and I didn't have any problem. It worked perfectly. I'm disappointed that the fact that the paid one works badly.

Other than enabled features, there's no difference between the free (trial) and paid versions, AFAIK.

Download, install and, if need be, register this version and transitions should be okay.  They are here.

1 hour ago, Ivan187 said:

This has actually been happening ever since I first started using VideoPad in 2014. I kept forgetting about reporting it. 

It has been reported, as noted earlier in this thread with a suggested alternative...

In lieu of using the fade transition use the TRANSPARENCY effect.  Click the chevron and select the FADE OUT preset.  Drag the slider to your desired fade start point.

A five-second fade example on a ten-second clip (at the end of the sequence)...

VP_fade.jpg