Version 7.00 queries

clemenzina

I am completely new to this type of editor.

The very first VP tutorial I've looked at has me flummoxed - I can't find UNDO in my version 7.00 and I would really need it.

https://i.imgur.com/AABMceP.jpg

Another problem is the "We are caching your file to speed things up"... which takes for ever, as my recordings are often very long, my screen-captures are always done in 1-hour clips but downloads can be many hours long.

I shall probably have lots more stupid queries, as this (to me) very complex method of editing is like learning a new language, and not a European one, either! :o

Undo: It's in the menu (icon with the three horizontal bars): "Edit-> Undo...". I always use the keys CTRL + Z instead, that's a lot faster.

Caching: Yep, it takes very long and it never stops, as long you are working on your video. Usually that doesn't matter, but if VideoPad is getting too slow, many people (me included) transform their clips to a lower resolution and work with them. If you have finished editing and want to render your video, save your project, close VideoPad, replace the smaller clips with the original ones (e.g. by renaming the folder they are saved to), then start VideoPad and load your project. Now you can export your video.

5 hours ago, clemenzina said:

I am completely new to this type of editor - I've been using Freemake Video Converter for 8 years (but it has been degraded by the developers and no longer functions as it did, and is very unstable in its present form) and Windows Movie Maker for its stability and to rescue clips that Freemake can't join up.

The very first VP tutorial I've looked at has me flummoxed - I can't find UNDO in my version 7.00 and I would really need it.

If VP confuses you, don't even think of trying Davinnci Resolve. It's got a 2600 page manual... that uses very technical language.

Hi

For some reason there are a several  variants on the green File tab, one of which is the nicknamed "Hamburger" tab with three bars on it and yet another is the "Hamburger tab with the label "Menu" to the right and a down arrow. I don't know which is the "official" tab but by reloading the vpsetup.exe file often changes one to the other. (Note that the font also changes...but it's the SAME  vpsetup.exe file that is being used so it's a bit confusing...

aa.jpg

ccc.jpg

bb.jpg

Any way,  with regards to the ..... big button like wot woz in the tutorial ..:).. the demo may have been done using an earlier version of VP   In the current version, whichever Menu button version comes up , to the right of the cassette icon on the top toolbar are right and left pointing arrows, these are the Undo and Redo tabs. Unless you have a clip loaded to the clip bin, neither will be active. Undo (left) and Redo(right) turn blue when active.

Nat

On 2/6/2019 at 7:45 PM, Nationalsolo said:

Hi

For some reason there are a several  variants on the green File tab, one of which is the nicknamed "Hamburger" tab with three bars on it and yet another is the "Hamburger tab with the label "Menu" to the right and a down arrow. I don't know which is the "official" tab but by reloading the vpsetup.exe file often changes one to the other. (Note that the font also changes...but it's the SAME  vpsetup.exe file that is being used so it's a bit confusing...

aa.jpg

ccc.jpg

bb.jpg

Any way,  with regards to the ..... big button like wot woz in the tutorial ..:).. the demo may have been done using an earlier version of VP   In the current version, whichever Menu button version comes up , to the right of the cassette icon on the top toolbar are right and left pointing arrows, these are the Undo and Redo tabs. Unless you have a clip loaded to the clip bin, neither will be active. Undo (left) and Redo(right) turn blue when active.

Nat

Hi Nat, I think I know why. Let's have a look at the registry here: "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\NCH Software\VideoPad\Software", key "SVar". There are two parameters, that can control the menu button design: "VIDEOPADTtbham" and "LLIBTtbhamtxt"

If both parameters are missing, the menu just shows "File". If you set "VIDEOPADTtbhamon", only the hamburger menu is visible. If you also add "LLIBTtbhamtxton", the hamburger menu will be extended by the label "Menu" 🙂

Hi DangerF

Thanks for the info. I am aware about Svar in the registry (some users couldn't get the Flip effect but it was simply set at off in sVar , actually this registry entry is a lot shorter than it used to be. However, I still can't see why the File tab should change if I simply reinstall VP from the same vpsetup.exe.file   In fact the button toggles through the various incarnations if vpset up is run repeatedly. Stll I prefer both flags off as I like the simple File button. :)

Nat