Extremely Slow Preview

Fizzy

On my PC which has fairly close specs to my laptop I just purchased (HP Envy x360 I7) it's extremely frustrating to try to edit anything in videopad with how bad the preview is. I've done barely anything, to a 20 second clip, yet every time I try to watch it in the editor it says "Building Preview Please Wait". Does anyone struggle with this? I literally can't even tell how the video looks because every time I get to a part that's slightly edited it freezes or the music gets way off sync, or sometimes it even plays random footage that has been deleted already. Never had this trouble with the earlier version on my desktop. Any ideas? Even lowering the resolution to complete garbage results in it freezing.

Another user had what may have been a similar problem that was eventually remedied.

If possible, please click FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT and upload the result to DropBox, Google Drive, MS OneDrive or the like.  Make it public and post the link here.  Someone will test it.

31 minutes ago, borate said:

It may not be your laptop, but the project itself.  This will allow others to take a look.

Okay, I believe I have it in a dropbox, do you know of anyone, or maybe yourself that could take a look?

Just now, Nationalsolo said:

Hi

Try reducing the preview resolution under Tools/Options/Display  if it is set high it can slow display times down and produce that error message. Try  512 x 288. (16:9)  and see if that cures it.

Nat

Yeah, I actually did try that, it definitely helped but it's still pretty unusable. It shows it's loaded/rendered but every time, no matter how many times it "loads" it it always freezes up.

• 2 years later...

Something changed about two years ago with videopad.  I never had any issues - now (like everyone else) it is so slow it is becoming unusable.  It's not my computer which is plenty fast and has plenty of RAM.  It's not the preview resolution (which is 512 x 288).  It's the program.  I have Adobe Premiere on this same computer and it's just fine, so it is not the computer.  I prefer using videopad instead of Premiere for small, non-professional projects.  But it is too damn slow.  I constantly get the "building preview" or "audio is not in sync" just about every time I make a cut.  And these are not large files I'm working with - 2gn to 3gn tops.

Does anyone have any REAL suggestions?  Or is it just that videopad changed their workflow a few years back and this is the result?  It's frustrating as hell because I like the simplicity of videopad for low end projects - but dammt the program needs to work.

Hi

What version are you using? (Latest is 7.3x If you have always used the same version then something at your end might be the reason.  From around 6.xxx the option to set the preview display to a specific size was removed. (I note you have yours set at 512 x 288 which suggests it is an older version.) So what has changed?. Altering the preview to a smaller display under the Options/Display tab often speeded up things but yours is set to the minimum..Are you using bigger resolution video files.... Have you emptied the cache of all unwanted/unused files? (You are an experienced user so I am sure you will have done this.) As a last resort you could try proxy files...editing with smaller resolution clips; saving you project then reloading it with the your normal clips.

Nat

VP is fast here.   If Nat's suggestions don't help, try out an updated version.  Retain your old installer, which is usually saved to "C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\VideoPad"

There have been many improvements and backward compatibility is normally fine, but programming changes may cause some inconsistencies in effect/aspect ratio rendering if a project was created with an earlier series.

Another approach might be to completely uninstall, using this tool.  Take care to uninstall ONLY Videopad items.  Then reinstall, for a fresh start.

Share a project, and others can see how it performs on their PCs.  Here's how...  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

If it contains sensitive material you can link it in a personal message (PM) to me, via the envelope above.  Be sure to FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS, not simply SAVE PROJECT.