Express Scribe Mac Archives

Guest nchsh

If you have any Mac specific problems please post them in the Mac forum

- Simon

I can't use the word processor with express scribe. the symbol on top where I'm supposed to click it's not there, neither are the hot keys. more than that, when I try to add some, express scribe freezes and closes down.

what can i do? I used to use express scribe in windows and worked great, are there some specific issues that don't work as well in mac? (i'm using tiger OS X v.10.4 in a macbook)

please, help!!! :)

thank youu

• 1 month later...

This is an excellent and perennially useful piece of software, so I think it's worth chasing up the odd bug.

There seems to be a problem with ES 4.05 on the Mac (10.4.11, in my case) when loading larger MP3s. I'm repeatedly finding that in the process of converting them to WAV ES truncates them, losing several minutes off the end of each file. Is this a known bug? The best workaround seems to be to convert the file to WAV using Quicktime Pro. Do not use Switch for this -- significantly it seems to have the same truncation bug, so it looks as if ES may be using the same MP3 conversion routine as Switch.

On the question of loading from a directory rather than a file, yes, I was fooled by this for a while. The docs didn't make this clear to me, but it's fine once you get the hang of it. Incidentally, after several years using ES I've only just discovered that you actually can load a single file -- you just need to drag and drop its icon onto the ES window and it will load irrespective of which directory it comes from.

Personally I don't see why Express Scribe uses /Users/Shared/Scribe at all for temporary and what are essentially user specific files.

I'm with Tony on this. Yes, it's a very odd choice of location.

• 3 weeks later...

I am new to Mac OS X 10.4.11 and I have been unable to get express scribe to run. I have no access to manual so I have been unable to access or use this software.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been trying to follow previous post but nothing seems to get me any further

Heather

- Simon

I have tried to do this, but I haven't succeeded. I need help with uninstalling Express Scribe because it no longer works on my Imac, and I want to reinstall a fresh copy.

Thank you.

I have tried to do this, but I haven't succeeded. I need help with uninstalling Express Scribe because it no longer works on my Imac, and I want to reinstall a fresh copy.

Thank you.

I am sorry the above post was so brief. I do not know how to open a new topic on the Mac forum. the only instructions i can find in FAQ is how to uninstall on Windows.

Aliceaba

Has anyone been able to use speech-to-text with the mac version of express scribe? I'm trying to use ES with MacSpeech Dictate but there doesn't seem to be an option in the Mac version to do speech-to-text. But nothing anywhere says that speech-to-text is only available in the windows version. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

- Simon

I recently got a foot pedal and have downloaded Express Scribe 4.05, for use on a Mac Intel with OSX 10.5. I'm trying to open recorded interviews that I did using Wire Tap Studio with a microphone and some with a Zoom H4. When I try to open the files (all MP3 or aiff) the files appear gray in the browser, not openable. I can open these files using other software, but the pedal doesn't work with these, so I'm left with keyboard play, pause, etc. functions.

What is wrong?

Stuart

• 1 month later...

- Simon

Hi,

I've searched through this Mac Forum and the FAQs and everywhere else, but can't figure this out!

I would pay for support if I knew in advance that there is Mac support, and that the following questions could be answered.

If I can get help with having to purchase a support plan, I would appreciate it cause I'm unemployed at the moment!

I'm in law school and want to use this to help me with transcribing class recordings. I've installed ES, also loaded mp3 files successfully and they can play fine.

I've got a MacBook Pro running Leopard Mac OS X version 10.5.4 with 2.33 intel core 2 duo, and i've got 3 GB memory..

However, I'm having 3 main problems:

1) I don't yet have a foot pedal, but would like to use what you refer to as "hot keys" on my keyboard to stop, start, rewind, fast forward, etc. while I'm typing in a Word Document. I can't seem to figure how to make "hot keys" work on my MacBook Pro (whether or not I have Word open, have the document open, etc.)

I've opened up ES Preferences, under Control, and tried to work there with the bottom section where it says "System Wide Hot Key Assignment", but I can't seem to get anything to work. I don't know what else to do!

2) I can't seem to open up the Type Pad function either, so I don't know if that's available to me on a Mac.

3) I may buy a foot pedal, but don't want to invest in that if it won't work with my Mac, and also I need to know how to set it up with your software for the Mac. Will I just go to Preferences again, check the box for Foot Pedal, and then it will just work automatically with my Mac??

That's all I can think of for now. Oh, can I call your Tech Support department from the U.S. and ask for advice if I pay for it? if so, how much is it, what number do I call, what time zone are you in, what are the hours there I can call, etc.??

Thanks very much, and take care,

Lauri

• 1 month later...

Hi, I've been having trouble with getting hot keys configured on my MacBook Pro as well. I've said this in another thread. 4.05 seemed to work fine, but not 4.25.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any response from NCH on these forums to questions like these.

HOT KEYS NOT WORKING

Well, I don't know what happened to the 3 paragraphs I posted along with this line. I'll try again.

I'm having two main problems, that apparently other users are also experiencing.

1) I cannot get the rewind hot key (F7) to work at all, nor can am I able to get an assigned key to run Stepback5sec. Rewind doesn't even work in the Control menu up at the top. I can however, get the audio to rewind using the button on the ExpressScribe window. (I have already unclicked "Use Footpedal controls.")

2) I cannot get ANY hot keys to work in word processing, even though they're set for universal, etc.. My husband, an IT guy, worked on this for an hour, made sure everything was set up correctly, but can't figure out what's wrong.

As you may know, some sort of rewind is very important when transcribing, so I absolutely must resolve these issues!

Thanks!

Hot Keys Now Working...

I find it a little bizarre that a user rather than an admin is the one posting this but I'm glad to report in any case that the Hot Keys have been fixed in the current release. I just downloaded it to see if it had been updated. The version appears as 5.26 and the keys are mapped correctly.

• 4 weeks later...
I recently got a foot pedal and have downloaded Express Scribe 4.05, for use on a Mac Intel with OSX 10.5. I'm trying to open recorded interviews that I did using Wire Tap Studio with a microphone and some with a Zoom H4. When I try to open the files (all MP3 or aiff) the files appear gray in the browser, not openable. I can open these files using other software, but the pedal doesn't work with these, so I'm left with keyboard play, pause, etc. functions.

What is wrong?

Stuart

I have the same problem. I have a Mac running Tiger... is it because the files are .wma?? PLEASE HELP!!!

• 1 month later...

I just installed the new 4.26 version of Express scribe on my mac and my foot pedal will not work. I know my computer recognizes my foot pedal; however, there are no options on Express Scribe to set up my foot pedal. The only thing the foot pedal does is after I have pressed play with my keyboard or mouse on ES, I can press the foot pedal and it will rewind the dictations. It is definitely not a problem with my foot pedal, as I can use it on other computers, but this seems to be a problem with Express Scribe not communicating properly with the foot pedal.

Does anyone else have this problem or know of a solution?

Thanks,

IrritatedMT

I just installed the new 4.26 version of Express scribe on my mac and my foot pedal will not work. I know my computer recognizes my foot pedal; however, there are no options on Express Scribe to set up my foot pedal. The only thing the foot pedal does is after I have pressed play with my keyboard or mouse on ES, I can press the foot pedal and it will rewind the dictations. It is definitely not a problem with my foot pedal, as I can use it on other computers, but this seems to be a problem with Express Scribe not communicating properly with the foot pedal.

Thanks,

IrritatedMT

The issue has been sent as a high priority bug to the NCH developer on this and we are waiting a release for a new version which should have this fixed. In the meantime, you need to try and locate a previous version such as 4.24 as I know that version still had the option to configure the foot pedal.

cheers

• 4 weeks later...
The issue has been sent as a high priority bug to the NCH developer on this and we are waiting a release for a new version which should have this fixed. In the meantime, you need to try and locate a previous version such as 4.24 as I know that version still had the option to configure the foot pedal.

cheers

I just downloaded Express Scribe. It seems very useful. Quick question: I am trying to bind the F8 to play/stop in the hotkeys control. However, the programme won't recognise when I press any of the function keys. Any ideas? I am using an iMac and the function keys are binded to various controls in other applications e.g. F8 plays/stops a track in iTunes.

• 3 months later...

Thank you.

I just also changed the program to my ibook. I can't remember how I set up hotkeys with the PC but I can't find anything that assists me in doing it with this one.

Any advice?

• 1 month later...

Mac Powerbook G4 10.4.11, Express Scribe v4.3 PowerPC

I have a USB gamepad that I created a footpedal out of. It works perfectly in InqScribe, all the buttons are assignable, etc., and I've been transcribing with that software for 4 months now.

But when I try to get it to work with ExpressScribe under Preferences: Control: Foot Pedal Control Setup Wizard, I get this:

The selected port or device could not be opened.

It's my understanding that a USB device such as this is just supposed to work without any driver/file/nonsense.

What gives?

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks,

IrritatedMT

Just updated to latest version of Express Scribe for Mac, using a VEC Infinity USB-2 pedal that was working fine until today. Yesterday (previous version of Express Scribe) my MacBook Pro using OS X 1.6 (Snow Leopard) was recognizing the pedal just fine, although occasionally it would "lose" it and I'd have to reconnect it. Today, no matter what I do -- unplug and replug, repair permissions, restart -- Express Scribe does not recognize that the pedal is there at all. There's no driver to be downloaded and installed that I can find (or recall ever having to find before). The USB ports are working okay -- anyone have any other ideas. The support (or lack thereof, since they don't seem to think it's worth the effort to make the Help files accessible from a Mac) is a real negative for this equipment and software.

Today, no matter what I do -- unplug and replug, repair permissions, restart -- Express Scribe does not recognize that the pedal is there at all.

Did you try running Scribe's controller setup wizard?

they don't seem to think it's worth the effort to make the Help files accessible from a Mac

Help is bundled in the application file as HTML files which should launch your default web browser when viewed.

How did you try to launch the help? By using the application menu? The tool-bar button on the main window? A help button on a dialog? A keyboard short-cut?

• 3 weeks later...