Can clips of different aspect ratios be used in the same project?

LaRa

I would like to know what settings need to be selected to have an output with the aspect ratios of the individual video clips preserved.  For example, if I place a video clip of 4:3 format and another of 16:9 format in the timeline, I want the original aspect ratios of the individual video clips maintained in my output file.

• 1 month later...

This may be a silly question but how do you maintain the aspect ratio when importing a clip? I'm trying to do a 1:1 (square) video, but when I import a 16:9 clip it gets stretched or compressed on one side. Have I missed some setting duing import?

Thanks, but how do I set the aspect ratio of the video itself? Or do 1 only determine that when I produce the output file?

Or is there a way that I can have a 1:1 working frame on the preview panel so that I don't have to guess my way around for the eventual edges?

The A/R of bin clips can be changed prior to placing them on the timeline.  Use a right-click...   image.png

A/R of timeline clips can be changed via the effects menu...  image.png   Each option has many choices.

There are numerous resolution choices when exporting, that will affect the entire project...

image.png

Hi Borate, I replied your other comment before seeing this one. I just tried using "Crop to Aspect Ratio" and it solved the problem of the black bars above and below the image, so many thanks for this.

However, I have a question - is it possible to crop to an area which is not in the centre?