Double clicking on clip for clip preview

gdog

I thought that double clicking on a clip shows the clip preview. Now I double click on the clip and it stays in sequence preview.  Am I remembering this wrong?  I prefer double clicking on clip shows clip preview.

v10.32

Hi

Clips in bin.   Single click on a clip to show it in Clip Preview. Double click it and it will Play in Clip Preview.

Clips on Time line.    Single click and they will appear in both previews. Double click to Play it in the Sequence Preview. Sequence preview depends also on the cursor position.

It is useful to set up Dual Displays in Options/Display.

Nat

borate, Nationalsolo, I downloaded an older version of Videopad, v8.99 and when I double click on the clip on the timeline it switches from the sequence preview to the clip preview, just like I remembered.  I don't know why you didn't acknowledge this.  I downloaded v9.04 and this is when I'm experiencing this change on this version. I double click on the clip, it stays in the sequence preview.  It's such a drastic change and makes editing with Videopad a bigger hassle now.  Change it back.

Now it is evident what you are seeing, which was never noticed earlier.

The 8.99 behavior strikes me as incorrect.  Perhaps that's why it was changed.  A double-click on the thumbs or timeline should play the sequence.

Even after Clip Preview is chosen in 8.99, playing the timeline will switch back to Sequence Preview.

It switches for me, yes clicking on the video track.  I think it's always been that way from my experience for the last 3 years, until updating recently.  It's a horrible hassle to drag my cursor up to the clip tab every time I want to fine edit the clip.  Has it been actually programmed to not switch when double clicking the clip? 

A double-click on the timeline or thumbs plays the sequence and doesn't switch to preview mode.  Can't speak for the programmers, but that seems correct.  (When initially tested it didn't switch here, so the behavior could be intermittent.)

Right-click on the thumb of the clip you want to edit and SHOW ORIGINAL CLIP.  That switches to Clip Preview mode.  Slightly different way to accomplish the same.

If it isn't a feature that is programmed in, please make it one again or confirm with the programmers.  Somebody else has to be experiencing this.  Double clicking on a video track clip switches to a clip preview from the sequence preview.  I am experiencing some weird quirks with this, now v8.99 didn't switch, but v8.87 does switch.

Right clicking is not as convenient, a double window takes up space, dragging my mouse to view a clip preview is a frequent hassle.

The current behavoir is no doubt correct, and later releases likely reflect a fix.  8.99 doesn't seem to consistently switch.

What do you mena by "double window?"

When right-clicking and SHOW ORIGINAL CLIP is used here it simply switches the preview window to the start of the clip.  No new windows.

Dual display. Right clicking or any other method is still a bigger hassle than double clicking.  If newer versions aren't switching to clip preview on double click I'd rather keep using older versions.

I tried v10.35 earlier and double click wasn't working, now, I just updated back to v10.35 again and double clicking is working.  Double clicking on the clip in the video track goes to clip preview.  God I hate this software.

Okay, it's evident what's happening.  Each time VP is installed (no need to re-download), there are subtle feature/operational differences - for marketing A/B testing.

It can take repeated reinstalls to produce the desired result and, in the future, the behavior that most users seem to prefer may become permanent.

After comparing the modes, my preference now jibes with yours:  double-clicking the timeline number strip it plays, double-clicking a thumb switches.

That sounds like a joke. Seriously?  Each install is different even if the same version?  This operational difference was not very subtle. I'm gonna report this as a bug man I deserve a complimentary license. This is nuts.

Hi

As a recap..

Clips on the track

• Single click displays the clip in the Clip Preview  window
  • Double click moves red cursor line to that position and plays the sequence from that point in Sequence Preview

The time Bar above the track

• Single click moves red cursor to that time point and displays the frame in the Sequence Preview window
  • Double click moves the red cursor line to that time point and plays the sequence from that point in Sequence Preview

Clips in the clip bin

• Single click displays the clip in the Clip preview window.
  • Double click plays the clip in the Clip Preview window

These actions seem OK to me.<_< I think it's matter of what one gets used to. 

Nat

In either version/operational difference I have experienced, a single click on the video track clip does not switch a sequence preview tab to the clip preview tab. In the operational difference that I prefer, double clicking does not move the red cursor to the position and sequence preview... rather I prefer the operational difference of double clicking the video track clip to show the clip preview for that clip on the video track.  Reason I prefer it is it's more convenient to double click than drag and click.  And purposes being for finer edits, splits without having to split the whole timeline, so clip bins previews aren't as relevant.

The other functions check out ok as described.

These slight variants aren't apparent until a specific feature, like the one being discussed, is observed.  Here, 10.35 does just what you want.

A single-click on a thumb selects the clip.  A double selects and toggles to clip preview without moving the cursor.