GPU support for Videopad

Adinor

On 12/22/2019 at 3:17 PM, c_major said:

Hi,

Currently VideoPad uses GPU to compute effects and transitions.

We are working on also using GPU for encoding and decoding as well as format conversion. Entire video processing will then runs on the GPU if suitable.

Reviced hardware pipeline expect to be released early next year.

Any progress?

Much has changed since the 2019 thread you referenced.  Test the 64-bit version.

For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

• 10 months later...

Increased usage of GPU for both 32- and 64-bit releases appeared in the mid-10.x series by my recollection (don't quote me) and was further improved in later releases.

Bottom line seems to be that hardware and projects dictate how GPU is utilized.  Some exports here have finished quickly, even with little GPU activity.  Submit a project that you have timed and someone will check it.

The process is easy, quick and can be done privately.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

The tech is mistaken, as the 32-bit 11.16 release here is registering considerable GPU activity on an low-end I3 PC export - slightly less than half of CPU load.  The O/S is Windows 11 (64-bit).

Perhaps your hardware or 32-bit operating systems are not supported?

Hmm.... in that case, 32 bit version should support 32 bit operating systems. Why otherwise then?

Maybe my radeon 7850 HD is the culprit then. Since shotcut was unable to auto-detect it but able to work with it in manual settings too. I also bought VSDC in hope for making use of the GPU but it was unable to work with my card either. After spending 2 days with their technical support to check my directx settings, they have agreed to refund my VSDC purchase because they found nothing wrong but obviously it didn't work. 

Unfortunately the latest nvidia driver produces black screen with cursor for me when I switch to nvidia cards. Maybe I can give it a try again using an older nvidia driver. 

-----

Tried the oldest nvidia driver but still black screen with cursor, even after uninstalling all display drivers before installing. I guess with this machine I'm stuck with ATI cards. Maybe looking for a newer one so that it can get supported by videopad. 

-----

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0lq-hTc-E8
This is the situation when I set GPU. 

-----

Changed to a R7 370 Radeon card and still the same. 

Edited by Lancelot Chan
updated with another GPU tried.

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2022 at 6:52 PM, Lancelot Chan said:

The tech support told me 32 bit version doesn't use GPU and I wrote a suggest for enabling GPU in 32 bit version and allow h264_amf encoding. Once implemented I'll donate 20 USD for the cause. :D

Delivered my promise.

NCH Software

TAX RECEIPT
To:
 Chan Ying Chih Lancelot
 Chan Ying Chih Lancelot

NCH Software
 6120 Greenwood Plaza Blvd.
 Greenwood Village, CO 80111
 USA

For payment of:
  I promised to donate 20 USD for Videopad if it supports GPU in 32 bit win 7. It does now, and here you are.

Amount Paid:
 $AUD27.25 (approximately $USD20.00 at today's exchange rate)

Paid VISA

Thank you very much to actually listen to a single paid user's plead. That's incredible. 

I tried the 11.32 beta and it's great. During editing it uses gpu a lot more. Also the editing has become more user friendly that when I move the clips around the timeline will scroll. 

However, during export, it doesn't use amf (AMD GPU h264_amf) yet. I'm not disappointed though. I didn't expect it would support old computer to begin with. :D

Edited by Lancelot Chan