Unable to move clip in the sequence

RichardBenson

I purchased VideoPad a week ago, and am really struggling with some of what seem the most basic tasks. As VideoPad support hasn't replied to my requests for help I'm trying my luck here.

My most pressing problem is that when I try to drag clips on the sequence, they often - not always - snap back to where they were. This is irrespective of whether I hold down the Shift key.

To give a specific example, in the video I'm trying to learn with, I have multiple clips, all in Track 1, at various points on the sequence. I'm working in Timeline mode (in Storyboard, the clip being moved disappears altogether). I want to move a clip three seconds earlier. There are no other clips in its way, so it looks like a simple slide along. However, when I release the mouse, the clip always just springs back to its original position.

I must be doing something wrong, but can't find anyone with the same problem online or in this forum.

I have to say I'm very disappointed with the software and service so far, but want to persevere.

Familiarity with the program's workings takes time.  But there is a confusing factor.  There are several incarnations of Videopad with the same version #.  Each has slightly differing behavior and features.  It's random which is installed.  It can take a number of reinstalls (no need to re-download) to get the preferred behavior.

In your version SNAP apparently is the default when dragging clips.  Hold down <alt> when dragging and see if that doesn't solve it.

In other installs, dragging will leave a gap which can be closed with a right-click | CLOSE GAP.  If you'd rather have that behavior, just reinstall until it appears.

If further problems arise, this is the place to come for help.

Thank you for your reply.

My impression so far is that the major flaw in the software isn't the time it takes to understand it, nor the random versions. It's that the same action works differently on different clips in the timeline. It means you can't really "learn", because every action is essentially a leap in the dark - maybe it'll work, maybe it won't.

In this case, yes, using alt worked when moving one clip , but not another. 

I do like the software, but this feels like madness.

PS The instructions say that holding down shift when you drag should eliminate SNAP. Is that wrong?

We'd need more specifics on just what you are attempting and seeing.  A drag to the left vs one to the right can behave differently, and <alt> may or may not be needed, as noted earlier.

If all clips are to be moved to the right they need first to be selected (or grouped).  If a clip is dropped onto another it will split the dropped-upon clip.  If it's dropped at a junction it will move later clips to the right.  Use the <shift> and right or left arrows to jump from clip to clip.  The <shift> anti-SNAP function you mentioned doesn't apply to this.  Where, exactly, did you see that reference?

It's going to take experimentation to learn how this works, but the same action should have the same result.

Share your project, and state exactly what you are attempting, and someone will be glad to chime in here.  Sharing is easy, quick and can be private.

Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.*  Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. Change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view"  Click COPY LINK | DONE.
  •     Share ---    Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Thank you.

Re the snap function, I just meant this:

"When either end of the clip being dragged is near either end of another clip, or the start or end of the sequence, it will "snap" to that position. Hold down the Shift key while dragging to temporarily disable this behavior."

In my case I need to disable the SNAP and holding down the Shift key has no effect.

I do take your point about experimentation. What's frustrating is that what I'm trying to do seems so basic. I will share the project, but just to explain: 

1 My whole video is 3mins 20 seconds long.

2 I have a 37s clip sitting with its start point at 2.28.

3 At 2.25 there is the end of blank clip, then three "empty" seconds

4 I want to drag the 37s clip 3 seconds right, ie towards the end of the video. When i try it just snaps back.

I have sent the folder to you directly. Thank you.

"Hold down <shift> to avoid snap" does appear at times when dragging that clip to the right.  But it's not functional in this scenario.

The easiest way to accomplish your goal is to drag the :37 clip up to track 2, then drag it to the right.

Another approach:  unlock audio.  Then drag will succeed, but audio will be shifted right, leaving a gap.

That gap can be closed by right-clicking in the gap area and CLOSE GAP.

For reasons not readily apparent the clip seems related to, but not linked to, the audio track.

Yes, some inconsistencies.  But that's not exclusive to VP.  Right now Firefox has an annoying intermittency.

If there's an issue that eludes you, describe it fully here and someone will come up with a workaround.  Verified bugs are soon addressed.

OK thank you. I'll try those options.

In case it's of interest: this final clip, which I need to match  very specifically to the audio, has been problematic for the 3/4 weeks I've been tinkering with this, and sometimes seems has moved seemingly of its own accord - in reality, I imagine, in connection with other moves and trims on other clips. I've tried deleting and re-adding, even remaking the original, so I assume it's an issue in VideoPad rather than in the clip, if you see what I mean. 

I'd like to add that it's very refreshing to have an engineer simply say that there are inconsistencies in the software, and they need workarounds, cheers!

Sorry for the mistake.

In case it's of interest to anyone, I think there's something weird about the clip. I tried to resolve the issue by deleting it, then retrimming the original footage to the exact length I wanted, then placing at the exact point needed on the sequence. The clip that actually appears is the original clip, with the footage that was cut out somehow reinstated. I realise this sounds like I've made a mistake but Im pretty sure Im right because I actually tried this a couple of weeks before, and the same thing happened, but that time I just assumed I was in error.

Something is going on there - likely buried deeply in the coding.  There's almost always a viable workaround when dealing with these hard to pin down issues.  What Nat suggests in the next post is correct, but for unknown reasons doesn't work with this clip (and some others tested here).

That said, add the original clip to the bin, trim it with the SET IN and SET OUT buttons, then drop it at the cursor location, using the drop-down menu that appears when clicking the chevron to the right of the ADD button.

Only the edited portion of the clip appears on the timeline.  It did here, and the clip could then be dragged in the normal manner, for more precise positioning.  Depending upon which VP incarnation was installed, <alt> may or may not be needed to prevent snapping.

Hi

As you say there is nothing in front of the clip you want to move I assume there is a gap. Grab the clip you want to move and with Alt pressed drag it to the left (into the gap) the distance required. It shouldn't snap back when released and will move left leaving a gap behind it. You could also move ALL the RH clips left if desired by selecting them all or by grouping them

If you know exactly the amount to move, you can step the cursor line to the start of the clip (or block) you want to move, note the time value in the box under the Sequence Preview window; subtract your desired movement time and the cursor line will move to that point. Do the drag as explained above with Alt  pressed and the clip will snap to the cursor line and you will have moved it the required time interval.

Nat