FX buttons no longer work

Uberprutser

AFAIK, there's never been a case where an audio effect button fails to respond.  The first suggestion is to Clear Unused Cache Files.  An alternative to changing gain on the audio track is to double-click it, then drag the line in preview, to create keyframes.

Beyond that, troubleshooters need to see the project.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

To share...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.*  Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. Change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view"  Click COPY LINK | DONE.
  •     Share ---    Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

I like to be first :)

Few more things I noticed: The audio on the effected clip starts late, maybe 0.5 seconds. The cut between the effected clip and the previous one, has only one vertical line. (like you get when cutting only the audio) But a/v are not unlinked. The button for the transitions is not at the usual place, it is about 3 seconds to the right on the effected clip. The brackets for adjusting the clip length are not there. But if I pick up the clip to the left of the effected one and move (drag) it to the left a bit the problem fixes it self. The 2 vertical lines are back and so are the adjustment brackets. Problem solved. I tried uploading to Google drive but that failed. Probably because of the shit internet connection.

Note: If I drag the effected clip to tack 2. I can see that the previous clip extended into the effected clip area. Making that clip shorter and then moving the effected clip back to track 1 also fixes the issue.

Button, line, bracket placements are relevant to timeline expansion.  image.png  Do a quick reinstall if other measures fail.

Not to claim that there are no glitches in the program, but the bulk of your woes seem due to unfamiliarity.  Hopefully, that will abate in time.

• borate changed the title to FX buttons no longer work

Videopad has certainly been a bit of a love-hate relation.

Love the features, hate the sluggish performance and annoying cache system. But it is certainty a lot better than my old editor, wondershare.

I tried a lot of editors this year; Hitfilm, Corel videostudio, Filmora, Blender, Lightworks, Davince Resolve etc etc.

Most of them I did not like. Except for Davince Resolve, but that’s a huge piece of software with its own issues.

I’m hoping the 64 bit version of videopad will blow me away :) Hopefully it will keep the same interface.

Hi

You do seem to be having problems. :(

"...unfortunately that's not the case for the next clip......"

Certainly there seems to be something odd about this. The X for the transition is not on the join; something which I haven't seen before, but the join itself only has the right white drag boxes for clip ends. (The screen image from YT is a bit blurred but it's obvious there is only one..on the right hand clip)  ... again, something I have never seen before...

aa.jpg

There should be one on the left hand clip and one on the right hand clip.....like your other clip joins..e.g..

bb.jpg

And the Transition X....That is weird. Have the clips been trimmed at all and if so how was it done?

I agree with you that it seems from your video that the video FX and Audio FX buttons are not working correctly or perhaps at all, but assuming there IS something wrong with that clip or the way it was added that affects those buttons , I think Unlink would work in any scenario since I don't think there is a connection between that feature and the Volume and FX buttons which are the one's that are faulty. It would seem to point to THAT clip and not specifically VP. (If the clip is faulty then VP can't read it correctly..the vpj data for that clip may also be corrupt (although read correctly) so the error will always appear since VP is using this to load the project.

I can't understand why your system takes so long to close. Here, on a slower Vista PC a project with 250 HD MP4 clips  , fully cached closed in around 3 seconds.  Normally if closed too soon then threads have to be stopped...VP may be generating/copying data but normally displays a progress window while it does this. Didn't see that in you vid.

After the reload in your video, the clip with the faulty buttons still only showed a single white block at the join. Try jumping the cursor line along using  II>  or II<  so it sits on the join with the problem..does it actually get there? If it does delete the clip to the right and then reload it from the bin to the cursor position and see if things change.

Another couple of questions...

Has the right hand clip beem trimmed in the bin using the red/blue brackets in clip preview?

Has the right hand clip been trimmed from the timeline with the red/blue brackets?

Is it always the same join?

I tend to trim either by dragging the white bars in/out or by splitting at the cursor and ripple deleting the unwanted section. Again,  never seen this particular problem before.

Nat

Caching and, purportedly, GPU usage, have been improved considerably through the years.  Much is related to hardware.  When this low-end gaming GPU/CPU replaced a respectable yet dated box responsiveness and speed improved significantly.

As you've seen, low-end NLEs leave a lot lacking and those targeted to commercial production extract a tough learning curve and usually a hefty subscription price.  VP is marketed somewhere in the middle.  It is continuously updated, which accounts for some of the glitches that crop up.  Most are obscure.  Those that can be replicated are quickly dealt with.