Precise Positional Control??

Alan R

Just placed a piece of text, sort of positioned manually.

When you hover over the central dot a little tool tip opens   base point X: 3.1% and Y: 30.6%

Other than dragging that centre spot around which is a bit approximate - is there any way I can type in a more precise position?

The same would apply to Rotation and Scale of the item.

Thanks in anticipation .....

Well how about that - I ever knew text was regarded as an object that had effects - just what I wanted.

Thank you for your prompt answer.

A quick question - is there a way to make a whole group of images have the same transition of the same size?  I know you can select a set of images and set them all to the same duration, but not sure how to do this for transitions.

Thanks In anticipation.

Hi

• With all the clips/images on the timeline, select those that will use your transition. (Click the first, hold down SHIFT and then click the last one.
  • To select ALL clips click the track thumbnail and press Ctrl+A
  • To all transitions Click an X between a pair of these clips. This will open the transition list window. (see below)
  • At the bottom centre you will see a choice box. The default is Apply to Current Clip.
  • Click the down arrow and select Apply to Selected Clips or Apply to All Clips
  •  
  • aa.jpg
  •  
  • Choose the transition and alter the duration if required. All the selected clips will  (should:)) now have the chosen transition between them.

Nat

1 hour ago, Nationalsolo said:
  • Choose the transition and alter the duration if required. All the selected clips will  (should:)) now have the chosen transition between them.

Nat

Well almost - when I click select the chosen scope of the change ie Selected or All, the effects window applies whatever is selected above, ie fade or whatever, and closes.

If I select the type of transition, the effects window closes.

BUT if I hover over the scope down arrow and roll my mouse wheel I get to choose the option I want (current/selected/all) - then click select the effect I want, then the window closes and the transitions are set as desired.   I can set the duration also by rolling mouse wheel or I can set the cursor there and type the value.

Rule seems to be - selected the group or individual transitions - set how many to change (current/selected/all) - adjust the duration - click the chosen effect.

Thanks Nat - appreciate your help.

Hi Alan

It shouldn't make any difference if you use the down arrow or scroll the range choices once you have selected the particular transition it should get applied to all the joins. Here I am also prompted to either overlap or use a still as the Option for this is set.

The order is important though.....

1. Clips to the track
  2. Select a range of clips on the track.......they should highlight in grey.
  3. Whilst selected click the X........ usually the first one -  keep Ctrl pressed
  4. Select the range option at bottom of the window
  5. Select transition.
  6. Select Overlap/Still  if choice window comes up

This works here.

Nat

Hi Nat

Yes I basically agree but I know now where the perceived problem is.

When I was talking of selecting the current/selected/all and saying the whole window closed when I clicked my choice, it does unless you quickly move the pointer back into the main window, or use my hover over technique.  This is clearly related to the time before another window automatically assumes focus, which in my case looks around 0.5 second, meaning that provided I move out of the way of the drop down list (which automatically closes when you have clicked the choice) within 0.5s the main window then assumes focus and I can proceed with selecting other parameters.  Any slower and the disappearance of the drop down list means I am out of the main window when focus switches.

But all in all I think I now got the gist of the issue and can achieve what I wanted.

Thanks Nat - your help is appreciated.

Your description doesn't appear to mirror what is seen here, as demonstrated in the video above.

After clicking the "this/all/selected" etc. the drop-down box closes but focus doesn't change, allowing for leisurely duration and effect settings.

In any case, whatever works for you.

I have focus follows mouse pointer set and I think the default is focus not to follow mouse pointer.

Its setting is buried deep in the Control Panel and is one of many "ease of access tweaks".

Thus when the drop down is closed just after I click it, my pointer finds itself over the main VP editing window and the Effects window disappears.

When the Effects window is open - I only have to wander outside for it  to close 0.5s later.

This may seem irritating at times - but I find focus following the pointer so natural, I've even forgotten the reason why I originally set it.

Apologies if this made what I was saying strange to understand.

Thanks gents for all your help.

Alan.