VP screws up afer applying an FX to the whole sequence

Uberprutser

I want to do add a saturation and colour temp fx to the whole time line

So I selected all the clips and added a -5 saturation and -5 temperature effect.

I clicked the green check mark to apply it to all the clips and VP starts doing what it does best, generating cache files :)

But it also screwed up one little clip, the audio is still fine but the video is from earlier in that shot.

I went back to an earlier save and was able to repeat the same problem a few times.

I'm using v8.91 but guess I will be trying another version.

Glitches like this make me really dislike the videopad. I wish they would start doing better quality control!

I just switched to v8.97 and the problem is still there :( And of course vp is loading up the cpu again, with its never ending cache generating...

Update: the effected clip was a sped up portion of the video. So changed it back to normal speed and reapplied the saturation and colour temp fx. This way I was able to work around the glitch. And I must say this wasn't the first time I ran into a/v issues with sped up video. Something is definitely wrong there!

Another update: Apparently the same issue was also happening elsewhere in the sequence. It's a shame, but I really can not trust vp to do things right. And this is turning out to be anther vp time wasting issue. I should probably stick to editing in Davinci resolve.

Caching speeds up rendering.  According to Techwalla "Video rendering can be one of the most hardware-demanding processes for a computer, especially when it's done in real time."

For UHD, when hardware is marginal or server is slow or space-limited, Proxy editing enhances editing response by substituting lower-res files.  This applies to other NLEs as well.

In a project with hundreds of edits -5 temp and saturation effects were added to all clips, then several speed changes were applied to clips that had been stabilized.  They played normally during PV and export.  When this doesn't go smoothly, pre-prep can help.  Independently export a speed-changed clip, perhaps from a temporary new sequence, then insert it into the project.

When the 64-bit Videopad version arrives (no target date) performance will ramp up - especially on large UHD content.

So I though I would try and help out the developers and see if I can recreate this problem using v8.97

I took a single clip and cut it up into pieces, and threw out the unwanted parts.

Then I sped up a small part of that clip to 800% and all was fine.

And next I selected the whole timeline and applied a -5 saturation and -5 colour temperature fx.

And sure enough the video of the sped up part of the clip got changed. It is no longer sped up, but the audio still is. (a/v was still linked)

I could recreate the same problem by applying an exposure fx to the whole time line.

Please fix this :)

Any chance I can beta test this 64 bit product you keep refering to?

Followed your procedure, using this version...

1.  Added a :30 wmv clip

2.  Chopped out four sections

3.  Split out a short portion of the middle and applied 800 speed

4.  Added EXPOSURE -.05 to the entire clip

Repeated the experiment with an mp4

A/V speed during the split-out section remained at 800 in both tests, so unable to replicate your findings

That said, for best results suggest that you pre-export clips with aggressive speed changes, then import then into the sequence.

Strange, it is rather easy for me to recreate this bug in v8.97 (latest?) it also happened in v8.81

My video is recorded in h264 at 50 fps and has a mp4 container. And I just tested with a 25fps mp4 video with the same result.

If I only select the sped up portion of the video and apply an fx there is no change.

If I select all the clips in the timeline (ctrl+a) and apply the same fx by pressing the green "tick" button in the fx menu, video changes for the sped up clip.

Hi

After you have added a specific effect to one of the grouped clips, and setting it so all the selected clips get that effect,check what effects have been actually added (or are present) in the ones that seem messed up.

We have reported a problem here where the default values are NOT deleted from the associated clips so these end up with duplicated effects one being the default and the other being the required one.

Nat

Unable to dupe what you demo, but would suggest applying the effect to all clips initially, instead of first applying it to the sped-up area.

As suggested earlier, with that speed consider pre-producing the clip and exporting it - to be added into the final project.

If I use the FX button on the sped up clip to apply the saturation effect to the whole time line it works without problems.

But if I use one of the ones of the FX buttons, on the other clips that were selected by pressing ctrl-a, I can see the "thumbnail" for the sped up clip change, the moment I apply the effect to the whole timeline.

One more thing. The moment I hit the apply button not only is the video back to 100% speed it also jumps to the start of the original clip. Before any cuts were made. So unlinking audio and video and then speeding it up again is not a usable work around. You really need to apply these effect before speeding them up.