Delays and other Problems

takis

Just upgraded to latest version 8.56, hoping it will solve some of the problems I faced in the previous version.

The biggest problem (for me) in the previous versions are delays...  Although not apparent to those who use single files, if you use many small chunks of audio in the timeline, significant delays appear to timeline playback and program exit. I press PLAY/STOP button, and it takes a few seconds to execute...  Closing the program also takes more time than usual, especially if the timeline is playing. It might take from 5-30 seconds (!) and sometimes pops up the error message asking to report a bug. 

I took a look of the cache folder and surprisingly the folder is empty! I re-declared it in the "options/disk" menu, but still the folder is empty! Very strange...

To be honest, this problem existed to all versions above v.6. I reported it before and uploaded sample projects and it was fixed partially, but not totally. Now in the late versions it is again very annoying...

In the latest 8.56,  there is also new problem: Importing a WAV audio file to a project does not complete... There is an hourglass stack on the file, and "processing %"  does not appear at all. I have to delete and re-add the file in order to be processed by the program.

Moreover, although the new contrast-look on the audio waveform is very clear and therefore plausible, this is true ONLY if a waveform is not selected. Selected waveforms are very unfriendly and hard to see.

Regards,

Leo

takis wrote: In the latest 8.56,  there is also new problem: Importing a WAV audio file to a project does not complete...

Upload that file and share it.  Likewise, share a project that exhibits delays.

Echoing Nat's suggestion:  don't run version 8.56.  Stick with 8.45 for a few more days until the next release.

Thank you my friends,

I will roll back to 8.45, thought 8.56 was a legit version and not a beta.

I was so eager to get rid of the delays of 8.45 and moved on...

Delays become an issue ONLY when there many small chunks of audio. Don't know if the same applies to video chunks. I play many organs on each other, this is why I need to have many small audio chunks. When they get more than 20, there are noticeable delays.

Do you have an idea why the declared cache folder is empty? Does it save somewhere else?

Thanks!

Version 8.56 was released, but a recently unearthed audio issue suggests that it's best to avoid it.

The normal cache folder path is C:\Users\<PC name>\AppData\Local\Temp\     

In current versions the audio cache is a subfolder... C:\Users\<PC name>\AppData\Local\Temp\VideoPadCache\VideoPadSoundCache

Of course, you can point the cache to any suitable location.

Hi

"....Of course, you can point the cache to any suitable location. ..."

I keep mine on the desktop where it's quick to find and open simply by minimizing the VP window. You can also delete all the contents here if required to fully clear it.

Nat

This is really strange...

I have a specific folder declared in options, but the folder remains empty...  (pls look at the pics).

https://ibb.co/K5sqDVQ
https://ibb.co/SP2DpqV

It is NOT an issue of 8.56, since I noticed this while running 8.45. It might also be older and did not see it.

I wonder if it has to do with the delays I encounter.🤔

Any ideas?

Using the file manager (Windows Explorer) a new folder was created on drive D:\Video_Cache_Memory.

Opened VP, clicked OPTIONS | DISK and in the cache field browsed to that folder.  Said yes to all prompts.

After loading and editing a project, the D:\Video_Cache_Memory folder listed entries in both the main folder and its audio cache subfolder.

So, unable to replicate what you are seeing.

There must have been a problem with direct installation over previous versions. I totally removed VP and re-installed a clean copy of the latest v8.56.

I licenced it with my key and now all cache files go to selected cache folder.

Finally, I did not roll back to v8.45 since 8.56 does NOT suffer from delays! It is faster than ever!

Of course there is the audio "not loading" problem, but I found a way around it...

It might sound silly, but -at least to me- the problem appears when I double click a project to open Videopad+load.

If I first open VP empty from its shortcut and afterwards load the project, everything works fine... It might take a few seconds more to load, in respect to previous versions, but it loads everything 100%. I reproduced it several times.