Buffering issues (changing speed doesn't render in v7.11)

italiangen

Hi.  I'm running an expired license of 7.11 and I'm trying to change a clip speed but it does not render.  It is a large file.  When I play the file in clip or sequence preview says "Building Preview. Please wait"  It has been over an hour and I see no progress of rendering.  Thanks for your help.  Peter D  italiangen.

I am having the same issue.  Specifically with 4K videos.
I am trying to change the Preview format settings, under the tab options, like it says in the following link: https://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/kb/1852.html
However, there is NO preview format settings tab. Either It simply doesnt exist or I cant find it. 
I am very close to uninstalling, and ask for a refund, because editing 4k videos is virtually impossible with this program. 
I have the latest hardware on my Computer CPU and GPU. so that is not the problem. 

That FAQ's reference to changing preview format settings appears to be out of date, and has been reported.  The setting was removed some time ago, and caching was improved.  What version of Videopad is being used?  Here is the latest..  https://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/vppsetup.exe   For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.

Let the green cache line (above the timeline) complete before previewing.  If the buffering issue still exists use proxies for the 4K files.  This is a common practice with many NLE systems, to make large files more manageable for editing.

Quality does not suffer, original files are used for the export.  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/26563-proxy-editing/

Please share your project, or a portion thereof that displays the issue, so the developers can analyze what may be causing sluggishness.  Folks will work with you and if a problem is found you may get a free license.

Sharing is not difficult.  Here's how...  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

If it contains sensitive material you can link it in a personal message (PM) to me, via the envelope above.  Be sure to FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS, not simply SAVE PROJECT, and don't forget to share it.

Hi

"....... I am trying to change the Preview format settings, under the tab options, like it says in the following link: https://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/kb/1852.html
However, there is NO preview format settings tab. Either It simply doesnt exist or I cant find it.  ...."

These notes appear to refer to an older version of VP. In  older versions  it was  possible to reduce the preview resolutions to make rendering and caching  faster  so reducing the occurrence of the "Building Preview" message. AFAIK In later versions due to changes in the way VP ran, developers opted to make the preview resolution a compromise "middle" value. This seemed to work OK but with the advent of bigger format video and without enhancement of PC to faster speeds the problem is coming back. One way around this is to use Proxy files.

The principal is this..

• Make lower resolution copies of the video clips to be used
  • Use exactly the Same name for these clips
  • Put the original "big" clips in a separate folder out of the way
  • Edit the project using the low res clips
  • Save a project vpj file
  • Swap the low res clips for the "big" clips so the "big" clips are where the low res clips were. (Or you could swap the names of the folders around...They must be in the same place however.)
  • Re-open the project from the vpj file The project will be re-loaded with all the edits but will now use the "big" clips from what VP sees as the original folder.
  • Export the edited video made with the "big" clips.

As the editing is done with smaller files the incidence of "Building Preview" should be much less

Nat

Italiangen wrote:  I'm running an expired license of 7.11 and I'm trying to change a clip speed but it does not render.  It is a large file.  When I play the file in clip or sequence preview says "Building Preview. Please wait"  It has been over an hour and I see no progress of rendering.

What are your PC's specs:  CPU, GPU, RAM, free space on C:\?

File plays fine here in the latest preview release at 85 or 87% speed.

Some preview stuttering, but that should not affect export.

No "buffering" message, even in the non-cached area.  Will take a long while to cache, owing to the 11GB file size.

Your mention of "expired license" is confusing.  If you purchased and registered VP, it should never expire.  Have you tried re-registering?

lenovo yoga i5 8250 CPU 1.6 Hz  1.8Gz   GPU 3.9  Ram 8GB  C:/ free space  76GB    Looks like I'm pushing my resources to its limit.  

I have the option to use a much smaller 2.2 GB MP4 file from my Sony camera vs. a  mt2s 11GB file.  I'm assuming that the larger file has a better quality  but given my subject matter and  enviornmental factors I'm not being realistic. Should I just start the editing using the mp4?

I appreciate any and all comments on this and I thank you for your help as usual. 

PeterD