How to delete a non-existent sequence

Mike Nomic

The left-hand part of the Videopad screen that contains tabs for 'Video Files', 'Audio Files', etc is also showing a tab at the extreme left titled 'Sequences (1)'.

I don't know how there came to be any sequence there, and before importing a file, I checked the sequence properties. 

It has a Type 'Sequence', a Name 'Sequence 1' and a Duration of 0:00:00:000.

It says I cannot delete it - 'Could not delete "Sequence 1" because it is the last sequence in the project.

How do I get rid of this?

Mike.

Hi

I think the way VP is programmed it need a "space" into which it can load a sequence you may create create. This a "Blank" sequence. It usually contains a clapperboard icon and by default it is labelled "Sequence 1"  but it's really a blank.

aa.jpg

However, as soon as you add a clip or image to the empty timeline this blank is temporarily filled with the timeline contents and the clapperboard is replaced with thumbnail........ It's labelled Sequence 1 which seems confusing

bb.jpg

However this is NOT a sequence....In some ways it's a dummy until you decide to make it a proper one. By default it is labelled "Sequence 1" although to my mind NCH should have labelled it "Sequence 0"  or have a little clapperboard in a corner  Being a necessary dummy, you can't delete it. Its contents update continually as you add clips to the timeline

However, as soon as you actually create a sequence,  the dummy Sequence 1 becomes a proper Sequence 1 The timeline is emptied and a new dummy sequence  Sequence 2 is created which has the clapperboard icon again......again I think this should be numbered as Sequence 0...

.dd.jpg

.....and so on.

Remember if you subsequently add another clip to the now empty timeline the clapperboard icon changes to a thumbnail of the new timeline.........personally I think it ought to remain as a clapperboard (labelled sequence 0) or a thumbnail with a little clapperboard on it.

Like clips in another bin, proper sequences 2; 3; 4; 5 etc. can be deleted but not Sequence 1which always has to renain as a dummy.

Hope that clarifies what seems to be odd...

Nat

• 1 year later...

EDIT: Problem solved, and - ahimé! - it was so easy. Posting this for other users, just in case: 

This is how I proceeded to remove the blank sequence: 

1. Uploaded a new file from the Upload File icon in the menu.

2. Drop the new file (video) in the Sequence(s) Field. Here the blank sequence will appear as the 1st one. 

3. Used the red vertical liner: moved it to the end of the blank sequence, then dragged it backward in order to select (the selected area appears in a blue transparent color).

4. At this point, a menu with tools appears next to the selected area: used the bin to completely remove the sequence.

That was all.

Hi, Nat!

Thanks for the clarification above, it helped until a certain point whilst having the problem mentioned in this topic (sorry if I missed something, my experience here is of a basic level yet). 

Nevertheless, I am still stuck at understanding how to remove this blank "0" section? It doesn't appear in the "section raw" and brings back always a portion of a video (into the new one) that is even deleted on my pc and doesn't appear in Projects folder ( I am sure I've never saved it, but just double-checked for an automatically saved one, in case it might have happened). Now, if I try to remove that part (in sequences), it reappears all the same a bit later overlayed on the second sequence of the video I am working on.

The mentioned blank and blind section doesn't appear in other files I upload, only in the first one I've tried when encountered the issue.

Note: I proceeded as regularly, as on any other video editing process, and it never happened before. 

Hope very much it makes some sense what I've written above 😕 and thank you in advance for any help pn this.

Hi Aiella

Not too clear on your description but I hope the following is a better explanation......

Things have changed slightly since the original post.

In the original post (from last year) the user found that he had a file in the Sequence bin called Sequence 1 although he hadn't added any clips to VP. This had a clapperboard thumbnail....

aa.jpg

I explained that this was quite normal and was a dummy  file...in effect a space to hold the contents of the timeline. At the start the timeline is empty so Sequence 1 is also empty hence the clapperboard. Sequence 1 cannot be deleted.

As soon as you add a clip to the timeline Sequence 1  is updated and the clapperboard changes to a frame from this clip. Sequence 1  now becomes a copy of the timeline. You can rename it if you want.

How do (or can) we use this? As I said Sequence 1 is updated as you add more clips to the timeline or if you edit the timeline. At some point you may decide that the timeline is complete up to this point and you would like to put it to one side. This is done by clicking the + at the left end of the timeline that follows the words Sequence 1 x.

This fixes Sequence 1  (a copy of the whole timeline) in the Sequence bin and creates a new empty place for more work, calling it Sequence 2. This action empties the timeline so Sequence 2 is also empty and has a clapperboard thumbnail.

bb.jpg

In effect you are back to square 1 but have saved your work (the timeline) as Sequence 1.

As soon as you add new clips to the timeline Sequence 2 is updated and shows a thumbnail of the new clip instead of the clapperboard. You can now carry on editing the timeline ; adding clips or images or text...you can even add Sequence 1 back in a new position if you wish,) and Sequence 2  in the Sequence clip bin will update with your changes.

As you complete a section of timeline you can repeat the save process by clicking the + at the left of the timeline  following the words Sequence 2 x    Note that the horizontal list is also updated....

ccc.jpg

As before the timeline is emptied and Sequence 3  is created in the bin and consequently shows a clapperboard. You can now add new clips to the timeline and continue with a new section. (Note that you can, if you wish add your previous work (Sequence 1 or Sequence 2) to the current timeline as in effect they are complete clips.

In short, use the Sequence bin as a temporary store for completed sections of the timeline but remember clicking the +  converts the timeline to a single sequence clip.  If you want to save all the component clips etc then you should save your work using Save Project  or Save Project As The latter is preferred as you can use specific incremental names without overwriting the old save.

All the clips in the Sequence bin can be deleted apart from Sequence 1. which will remain as a thumbnail until the timeline contents are deleted when it will be replaced by a clapperboard thumbnail.

I haven't seen Sequence 0 unless something was renamed.

I hope this explains a basic way of working with the sequence bin files. The are also other option available for sequences.

If still not clear come back in with more detail

Nat

On 9/20/2020 at 8:03 AM, Nationalsolo said:

Hi Aiella

Not too clear on your description but I hope the following is a better explanation......

Things have changed slightly since the original post.

In the original post (from last year) the user found that he had a file in the Sequence bin called Sequence 1 although he hadn't added any clips to VP. This had a clapperboard thumbnail....

[...]

I hope this explains a basic way of working with the sequence bin files. The are also other option available for sequences.

If still not clear come back in with more detail

Nat

Hi, Nat!

Apologizing for a delayed reply. 

Thank you very much for taking time and patience to explain all this in detail. My poor explanation of a newbie worked for me, but certainly wouldn't have been enough for other users to understand properly how to proceed. Great job in providing assistance, from your part!

Have an awesome day and thanks again :)

Aella Runa