Large Recordings Processing.

italiangen

What follows is a compilation of questions from another topic.  I've used them to start a new topic.  I add a new question at the end.

I've got another project to complete.  I'd like to divide a presentation spanning 2.5 hours into 3 parts.    Any general pointers are appreciated. 

Peter D  

=================

Borate Replied:  

One approach would be to break a project into manageable parts, perhaps five half-hours.  Edit the first, then export it.  Do the same for the second, and so forth.

When all five parts have been exported each will be a single clip.

Load them in order into a new VP project and export this final version.

Check out this thread

=========================

NationalSolo Replied  

Hi Italiengen

This thread has gone off topic and you really ought to start another..😉:)      Anyway.......

An alternative possibility in reply to your question is....

• Open VP and load your 2.5 hour project. (Patience :))
  • Do not place it on the timeline.
  • Left click the clip in the bin to select it.
  • In Clip Preview use the cursor line to set the START and END markers to isolate the first section (1/2 hr?) of your video
  •  Click the Add button below the window to place your selection on the timeline. ******
  • Export the timeline in your required format.
  • When exported completes clear the timeline (Delete)
  • Left click the clip in the bin to select it again.......It will retain the previous START/END points.
  • Reset the START END markers to isolate the next 1/2 hr section of your video
  • Repeat the steps above from ***
  • Repeat until all the project has been exported in 1/2hr segments.

Note that a 2.5 hour project MAY take some time to handle...

Nat

Borate and NationalSolo,  Thanks for the advice on the 2.5 hr. Project.  Is it best to clean up (audio, effects, etc) the 2.5 hrs as 1 file, then divide it up in Parts 1-5?  Let's say I work on Part 1 and have effects that I want to apply to the other 4 parts, is this accomplished by saving the effects as a template and simply selecting it for each of the other Parts?  How is it applied?  Is it when I "Save Project As" for that Part x 

Thanks,  Peter D

Global adjustments might be best applied to the entire file.  However, depending upon the file types/resolution and PC capabilities this could be cumbersome.  See how it loads.

For template info see the HELP file by clicking the ? in the upper right-hand corner.  http://help.nchsoftware.com/help/en/videopad/win/effects_templates.html

This has no relationship to saving a project, which should be done frequently.  Use SAVE AS and give it an incremental # so as not to overwrite the earlier saves.

To more easily locate items, after bringing up the HELP menu, press <ctrl-F> for a search box, then type in the term in question.

Thanks guys,  I mistakenly loaded the file on the timeline to work on the audio and some transitions.  I've identified my first split point but I'm not sure how to save it and export it as instructed by Nationalsolo above.  How should I proceed?  I do want to create three other split point and add a slide image or two at the transition and end point.  Big thanks for you help.

PeterD

One way...

Select (highlight) all clips in the section and press <ctrl-C> to copy.

Click the + sign to the right of the SEQUENCE tab that's above the timeline, to create a blank sequence 2.

Press <ctrl-V> to paste what you copied into that sequence. then export it.  SEQUENCE 1 will be unaffected.

The exports become new clips that can later be imported and assembled for the final project.

Or, simply create new sequences for each part and later combine them into the final new sequence, as Nat suggests.

Hi

The way of working I mentioned was for breaking up a single big clip into exportable sections as I thought that was what you had. If that had been the case it's not necessary to put that clip on the timeline just the selected sections from the Clip preview window..

However you seem to have a normal multi clip video on the timeline.

If this is just a single video track (Video Track 1) composed of multiple clips with  linked audio (Audio Track 1)...you could proceed like this...It's a bit phaffy but it will work... (Save your project first and at regular stages when trying this in case you go wrong) ***

• Move the red cursor line to  your split point and split the tracks.
  • Holding the Shift key down  left click the clip to the right of the split and then the last clip on the timeline. (i.e. select all the  clips to the right of the split)
  • With the Shift key still down right click these and select Delete from the menu. This will leave just your selection on the timeline.
  • Export the timeline.
  • Click the Redo Arrow on the top toolbar. This will replace the deleted clips and cursor line will be at the Split point.
  • With Shift key down left click the clip to the left of the split and the first clip on the timeline. (i.e. select all the clips to the left of the split)
  • With the Shift key still down right click and select Delete. This now leaves your video without the previous section.
  • Right click the gap at the start of the timeline and select Close Gap in Track. You now have the remainder of your video on the timeline
  • Repeat this process from the top as many times as required   to export a second......third.....fourth etc. section of your video.

*** If this method is not to your liking or your project has multiple tracks and overlays tracks then simply create a sequence.... and without loading it to the empty timeline select it in the sequence bin and treating it as a clip proceed as in my original post above.

Nat