Audio Overlay

italiangen

That's what this forum is for.

There are numerous tutorials on the WEB.  Search for "Videopad tutorials."  Be aware though that some are dated, using older VP versions.

If there are two audio tracks, both will be heard, unless one is muted.  Muting can be applied to the entire track - with the mute icon at its left - or to a specific clip via the right-click method described earlier.  Thus, if one clip or track is muted the clips on the other won't be affected.

In your case, you are muting the bad pronunciation segment on track one and adding the good one on track two, in precisely the same place -the fix below the original - on the timeline.  An export will include both audio tracks.  Track one will play right up to the muted clip.  Track two will be heard there.  Track one resumes after the fix ends on track two.

Thanks for the encouragement.  Your further explanation helps.  So if I get track one's start point then mute it and then line up the correction on track to at it's start point, how do I limit the end points?  Do Have to be in "Clip Mode?"  Now,  when I find the 2nd correction to be made on track 1 (and follow you explanation to the above question) and then mute track one so that I can find the second correction on track two, I'm confused on what is happening when I try to position track 2 at the right position.   If I were to Identify the start and end points timing numbers can I use that info to set the [  ] brackets.  Are some adjustment made in the preview panel and some are set on the audio track at the bottom.   Are you confused yet??? 

An easy way to handle this is to play track one and split the audio track at the point where the incorrect audio begins.  Continue to play and split it again when the incorrect audio ends.

Now right-click this new clip and MUTE AUDIO.

Place your new audio on track two immediately below the muted clip on track one.  A little jockeying and it should fit, since it's the same word pronounced differently.  This will effectively replace the incorrect audio.

Thanks for the encouragement.  Your further explanation helps.  So if I get track one's start point then mute it and then line up the correction on track to at it's start point, how do I limit the end points?  Do Have to be in "Clip Mode?"  Now,  when I find the 2nd correction to be made on track 1 (and follow you explanation to the above question) and then mute track one so that I can find the second correction on track two, I'm confused on what is happening when I try to position track 2 at the right position.   If I were to Identify the start and end points timing numbers can I use that info to set the [  ] brackets.  Are some adjustment made in the preview panel and some are set on the audio track at the bottom.   Are you confused yet??? 

Borate,   I've almost got it.....  I can't figure out how to re-position the end point of split on the first track.  I've got everything lined up and muted when they should be but the end point of the mute on the first track needs to be extended.....  For that matter, how do you make those minor tweaks anywhere you might need them?  I understand that zooming the timeline gives you more precision but how to execute the intended operation is lacking on my end, but with your help I know a lot more to then last week!

How do you change the background colors.  It is hard to make out the splits black line on a dark gray background.  How can I slow down the play back speed just for the section I'm working on?  Feel free to add any other pointers.

As always, thanks. Peter D

The steps...

1.  Place the main video - a single clip - on track one
2. Right-click the audio track and UNLINK FROM VIDEO
3. Play to the start of the mispronunciation
4. Make a split of all tracks
5. Continue play to the end of the mispronunciation
6. Again split all tracks
7. Right-click the AUDIO clip that was just split out and click MUTE AUDIO
8. Place the scrubber (red line) at the head of this mispronounced clip
9.  In the bin (top-left), under the AUDIO tab, right-click on the new audio clip
10.  Click OVERLAY AT SEQUENCE AT CURSOR

Some jockeying of the new track 2 clip may be required.  Drag left or right until it best fits the 'hole' where the audio was muted in track one.

If the end point of the muted area of track one needs to be extended create another split where it should end and mute the audio of that split out clip, just as above.

There's no means to change background color.  To slow a clip, right-click on it and CHANGE CLIP SPEED.  Later you can change it back to 100%.  Save your project first, and regularly, with FILE|SAVE PROJECT AS, and give it an incremented #.

Borate,  I'm happy to report that because of your overall help and more specifically, the last set of instructions, I was able to complete the project.  It took a few attempts but I  finally got it right,  at least for our purposes.  Can't thank you enough.

Guess what?  I've got another project to complete.  I'd like to divide a presentation spanning 2.5 hours into 3 parts.    Any general pointers are appreciated. 

Peter D  

One approach would be to break a project into manageable parts, perhaps five half-hours.  Edit the first, then export it.  Do the same for the second, and so forth.

When all five parts have been exported each will be a single clip.

Load them in order into a new VP project and export this final version.

Check out this thread.

Hi Italiengen

This thread has gone off topic and you really ought to start another..😉:)      Anyway.......

An alternative possibility in reply to your question is....

• Open VP and load your 2.5 hour project. (Patience :))
  • Do not place it on the timeline.
  • Left click the clip in the bin to select it.
  • In Clip Preview use the cursor line to set the START and END markers to isolate the first section (1/2 hr?) of your video
  •  Click the Add button below the window to place your selection on the timeline. ******
  • Export the timeline in your required format.
  • When exported completes clear the timeline (Delete)
  • Left click the clip in the bin to select it again.......It will retain the previous START/END points.
  • Reset the START END markers to isolate the next 1/2 hr section of your video
  • Repeat the steps above from ***
  • Repeat until all the project has been exported in 1/2hr segments.

Note that a 2.5 hour project MAY take some time to handle...

Nat