Video Effects not working well on 6.10?

janwalker

I just installed version 6.10 (on a Windows 8.1-machine). My old version of VideoPad Professional worked pretty fine, but version 6.10 seems to generate a problem with its 'video-effects' -function (scale, crop, resize etc.).
The command 'apply to alle selected clips' does not do its job properly...When trying to make it work on two separate (but successive and closely related) clips, it only changes one of them. Despite answering the question ('apply to all') correctly. What am I doing wrong?

Indeed, this does appear to be a bug that does not apply the effect to all selected clips.  Yet It does work with some effects (mirror) and not others (scale/flip).

For a workaround...

On a single clip, specify the effect.  SAVE AS CHAIN TEMPLATE and give it a name.

Now select the desired clips, click the VIDEO EFFECTS icon on the toolbar, scroll down to the saved template, answer ALL to the prompt.  May succeed.

Hi

Yes, It's bug. Having selected a range of clips and using the toolbar option Video effects (or Effects) followed by accepting the prompt to apply the effect to all the chosen clips, VP only applied the effect e.g. Crop to the first clip. Hopefully NCH will correct this.

The workaround for me (VP6.1) didn't work as quoted above and only added the template effect to the selected clip.

However..Selecting all the clips,  grouping them and then clicking on one of them and keeping SHIFT down I can open the Effects Toolbar and use the Video effects button down arrow THERE  to pick the template. The multiple clip prompt appears and now the effect is applied to all the selected clips.

The difference is, it seems, is that you have to select your effects list from the Effects toolbar and not Effects from the top toolbar.    All roads should lead to Rome  ?

Nat

The "Apply to All" button does add the effect to all selected clips with the default parameters. However the default parameters of some effects like crop, rotate just do nothing - the effect is added though.

The problem is that we can't really apply user edited effect(s) by "Apply to All" button.

Based on Nationalsolo's workaround, I managed to do the job quite simply by a) grouping the selected clips, b) select them - with only one left-click  and c) performing the video effects (crop, scale etc.) from the top menu. Without any extra actions (or questions like 'apply to all selected clips' ) it worked well on all grouped clips...

Seems to be an inconsistency here.

Loaded five clips onto the timeline.  Selected all and grouped them.  While holding down <shift>, clicked EFFECTS on the tabbed toolbar.  Then clicked VIDEO EFFECTS on the icon toolbar, followed by the SCALE effect.  Answered YES to the "all" query.  Then adjusted the scale.  The effect was applied to only a single clip.

However, when a previously adjusted and saved chain effect template was chosen - SCALE - the result was applied to all clips.  No grouping or <shift>  required.

Hi B

Didn't try it without grouping the clips beforehand as that seemed an obvious step. All I can say is that whether or not the effect got applied to ALL the clips seemed to depend on which menu prompt I selected. I found it didn't work if I just selected Video Effects from the top toolbar but it DID work if I first opened the Effects toolbar then the Video Effects tab on THAT toolbar. Keeping the clips grouped with he SHIFT down solicited the multiple clip prompt and the effect was added to ALL the clips.

As you say, It is inconsistant as to my mind the multiple clip prompt (which appears presumably because you have several clips selected or grouped) should work from any of the effect buttons not just the one on the specific toolbar. (i.e. All roads should lead to Rome.....at the moment some seem to be cul-de-sacs ?)

Nat