Snapshot Output

jskjolda

Hi

In version 2.41 the output image from the snapshot function is a jpeg.

In version 3.04 it is a png

I don't think there is an option change this. Is it a problem?

Being a compressed format, JPG loses some quality depending on the degree of compression whilst PNG (Portable Network Graphic) uses a different algorith for compression that doesn't lose data consequently the image quality may be better when re-incorporated into the video. It can also store areas that are transparent in a similar way to GIF files. The PNG format is probably to be preferred in the context of VP.

Nat

Nat, I completely understand your response. In my company we have a process where we are taking a snapshot of a video frame and separately inserting the picture into a customer report. We have been inserting JPEG files. The PNG format creates a much larger file size which in turn creates a much larger report that becomes too big to distribute electronically. I wish there was a choice of snapshot outputs.

Hi

Yes,, ..Sorry...I forgot to mention the file size...

Using an mpeg2 video in 1280 x 720 format...

If you use VP 2.41 an extracted snapshot is a jpg occupying 424 Kilobytes

With VP version 3.04, a snapshot in png format from the same video frame occupies 1.21 Megabytes so there is

a considerable difference.

So why not use VP version 2.41 to extract your snapshots? :)

BTW Irfanview is a great piece of freeware and you could, if required, batch convert your snapshots.

Nat

Hi

OK.....bummer.....Do you have any image editing software you can use?. If so, right click the snapshot thumbnail in the media list and select "Edit outside of Videopad"

You can set up the program which you CAN use for this under Options/Other. then resave as a JPG. Takes a few seconds.

With VP 3.04x that's about all you can do.

Nat