VideoPad 3.04 released

ConnorBrendish

Hi all,

VideoPad version 3.04 has been released.

Some changes include:

• You can now apply transitions to multiple clips at the same time. To do this, select two or more track clips and choose a transition from the "Transitions" toolbar button.
  • Dramatically decreased memory usage, especially when using large sequences with a lot of videos.
  • Transitions no longer freeze on the frame between the two clips, provided that the left clip has 'out' point set and the right clip has 'in' point set.
  • Clip thumbnail preview images are now generated at the same time as the video cache, speeding up the process.
  • Video cache process now makes better use of multicore processors.
  • Text clips and subtitles are no longer limited to 260 characters. There is no limit now.
  • Clip bin thumbnail preview images now have an aspect ratio of 16:9 instead of 1:1, giving you more screen space to work with.
  • You can now see what you will undo/redo (see the edit menu and status bar).
  • When you undo or redo an action, VideoPad will no longer regenerate all of the thumbnail preview images in the current sequence.
  • Can now load .flc, .wtv, .ogg(video), .mtv, .ts4, .div, .mjpeg, .nsv files.
  • Mask-based transitions are now ~15% faster. (wipe, reveal, split, fan, radial, circle, diamond, heat, rectangle, star, checkerboard, dissolve, squares)
  • Added 'Suite' tab to the toolbar which gives you quick access to some other related applications from NCH Software.

As always, VideoPad can be downloaded from http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/index.html

MUCH BETTER!! Good transitions with no freezes in the cross fade, better titling, and a bit faster rendering. If I had to make a wish list for the future, I'd ask for a little bit better color control in the chromakey, and maybe a little harder kick in the rendering butt, but overall I have to say...good job!!

Hi

Still hasn't got the easy zoom/crop that 2.41 had. :( I've just spent 15 mins getting a sort of zoom that took just seconds in the previous version, (and it still wasn't ideal!) Can't that effect just be retained, (or the coding just popped back in as simply another effect?) It's used such a lot in slide shows. (Burns effect.) You shouldn't have to phaff around with crop+scale%. What is demonstrated on the instruction video for this effect is NOT a Zoom!

Selecting multiple clips seems to show clips selecting (going blue) and unselecting going light blue) eg. Left click Clip 1 with shift down,(blue) then click the others (typical Windows multiselect action ) but clicking the next clip unselects clip 1 (goes light blue) but selects clip 2.(goes blue) Clicking clip 3 (shift still down) deselects clip 2 (goes pale blue and selects clip 3 (goes blue)...... Clicking clip1 followed by clip3 (shift down) just leaves clip 3 selected........This gives the impression you have ended up with still only one clip selected. In fact if you then clip the Transition tab and select the transition you are told you have multiselected. That's a bit confusing.

It works normally in the media list to put multiple clips on the sequence line.

And how do you remove the multiselection? Clicking a single entry on the media list deselects the others but on the sequence line clicking a single clip afterwards still leaves the others (apparently) selected even when only one is blue.

This is potentially disasterous as although you may think there is now only a single clip selected,(as only one is blue,) choosing to delete this deletes all the others as well!!

Selecting the Crop "effect via the Effects tab gives choice Forcing aspect ratio of "NONE" whereas selecting it and adding it from the "Video Effects." window gives choices of None...4:3 and 16:9 Occasionally these AR choices sometimes gets jumbled up with 4:3 option being printed out of place.

Nat

Nationalsolo, you should be able to do a 2.41-like zoom with version 3.00+'s "crop" effect using animation. Expand the animation section of the effects dialog, set keyframes at the start and end of the clip and give each keyframe a different crop rectangle.

Selecting multiple clips seems to show clips selecting (going blue) and unselecting going light blue) eg. Left click Clip 1 with shift down (blue), then click the others (typical Windows multiselect action). But clicking the next clip unselects clip 1 (goes light blue) but selects clip 2.(goes blue). Clicking clip 3 (shift still down) deselects clip 2 (goes pale blue and selects clip 3 (goes blue)...... Clicking clip1 followed by clip3 (shift down) just leaves clip 3 selected........This gives the impression you have ended up with still only one clip selected. In fact if you then clip the Transition tab and select the transition you are told you have multiselected. That's a bit confusing.

It works normally in the media list to put multiple clips on the sequence line.

Seems to work this way...

The selected clip that has focus is dark blue while other selected clips are pale blue. To DEselect a single clip hold down <shift> and click on it. It turns silver.

And how do you remove the multiselection? Clicking a single entry on the media list deselects the others. But on the sequence line clicking a single clip afterwards still leaves the others (apparently) selected even when only one is blue.

Click in an open area - not on the timeline - to deselect all clips.

Hi Cnr

Nationalsolo, you should be able to do a 2.41-like zoom with version 3.00+'s "crop" effect using animation. Expand the animation section of the effects dialog, set keyframes at the start and end of the clip and give each keyframe a different crop rectangle.

OK. Thanks. That does work like you suggest, but it's a long way from being smooth. The edges judder a lot as the image zooms

Just saved the test I did. THAT seemed better when run. I now presume the juddering is linked to the fact it was being watched in the preview window.....

Borate..Thanks. Didn't think of clicking OFF the sequence line! I got into the habit of selecting and deselecting files a bit differently :)

Nat

• 1 month later...

its crashing more than the 3.02 version. Is there anything i can do about this? i'm barely making one change every time it crashes. Sometimes it will crash by just opening the program. If i'm lucky i can get two changes in before it crashes. Love the update with the transitions though!

Hi Cnr!

i just got an issue with Text-clips.

Text clips and subtitles are no longer limited to 260 characters. There is no limit now.

Does this apply to the free version aswell?

My text seems to get cut/crippled after 5 lines, as described in:

http://nch.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/20008-limited-text-issue-in-text-clips/page__hl__text

Best regadrs, Martin Siemensz

Hi Connor,

whell then i guess i found a bug... :unsure: After tinkering around, i found that the

text count IS unlimited IF i enter the desired text in the "Add new text clip"

window, and do not change the text in the "edit text clip string" box.

If i alter/insert/edit the text in this box, it gets crippled unfortunately...

Can you confirm this bug, or is it possible that my installation is corrupt?

I use v3.04 free on a pc running Win7.

Best Regards, Martin