Steady Zoom??

Nationalsolo

Hi

Anybody have any ideas of how to get a smooth zoom effect with V3.02. It was fine with 2.41.

I can only see the crop effect with which to do this.

i.e. set levels with first frame (full screen)

Move cursor in the effects window to end of clip

reduce rectangle to finished size.

Set end levels.

The result DOES zoom, but looks like I have St Vitus' Dance!! (and that's with a static image!!) as the borders judder in and out.

It seems even worse with a moving image.

What was wrong with leaving the zoom effect as it was implemented in V2.41 :angry: ????? This gave smooth effects whatever the length of the clip.

Nat

Anybody have any ideas of how to get a smooth zoom effect with V3.02. It was fine with 2.41.

Use the MOTION|SCALE effect in the same way that you would opacity. Draw the blue line from bottom-left to top-right and you'll see an image that starts small and smoothly zooms in to maximum.

However, it has a speed fault! As it gets about four fifths to full size, it slows down considerably. I've tried tweaking the blue line but the result was very suttle.

Hi Borate

"Use the MOTION|SCALE effect in the same way that you would opacity. Draw the blue line from bottom-left to top-right and you'll see an image that starts small and smoothly zooms in to maximum."

This control is, indeed, a "zoom" as your quite excellent demo shows, But "Scale" simply changes the IMAGE from big to small or small to big within the full frame leaving a black border when the image reaches a certain size. It's NOT a normal zoom in the cine telephoto sense. where the image is kept full frame the whole time with its contents getting larger or smaller.

In the previous version we had both crop and zoom that used red rectangles for showing the contents of the full image frame, and in the case of the zoom two frames for the control of adjustable rectangles for start and finish positions. Easy and quick to use.

The only control now to obtain this effect is the "crop" feature. where the contents of the full frame, represented by the red rectangle ( now only using one image and one rectangle) is manipulated with the key frame markers on the blue "effect line" to obtain the start and finish positions and size of the frame. But the borders do seem to jump about. However I am beginning to think this may be due to the fact I am viewing it in the preview window because a rendered avi does look smoother.

But what is happening to the options for forcing 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios?

It seems that if I select "Crop" from the "More effects" option in the drop down menu associated with the "Effects" button on the top toolbar these options don't appear. :huh: But if I select "Crop" from the drop down menu associated with the video effects window which appears when I click the yellow star and then add it, they DO appear! :blink: Is there a reason for this or is it a bug?

Nat

But what is happening to the options for forcing 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios?

It seems that if I select "Crop" from the "More effects" option in the drop down menu associated with the "Effects" button on the top toolbar these options don't appear. :huh: But if I select "Crop" from the drop down menu associated with the video effects window which appears when I click the yellow star and then add it, they DO appear! :blink: Is there a reason for this or is it a bug?

Same here; likely an oversight. The aspect boxes appear if invoked either by the star or by the EFFECTS|CROP|ADD button.

See if THIS is more what you have in mind - created with a combination of crop and scale.

• 10 months later...

The result DOES zoom, but looks like I have St Vitus' Dance!! (and that's with a static image!!) as the borders judder in and out.

It seems even worse with a moving image.

Nat

So Nat, did you figure out how to smooth things out when using the crop effect? I'm using v3.29 and still see this border jittering in and out. It seems just as bad in the render video as with the preview. How do we get a smooth "Ken Burns" effect with version 3.xx without the nice "Zoom" effect of v2.41?

Hi

Just to add to Borate's post.....

Note: Version 3.29 .........Using SCALE gives a smooth zoom from full frame up to a level of 3X the image size. But the starting or finishing value must be 1.00

If you set it lower than this at the start or end then the image is reduced in size. If you want it to remain full frame and zoom then you have to start or finish at 1.0.

It would be useful if the highest setting could be made....say 10.00 as the degree of zoom with 3.00 is not a lot. You can zoom in or out with high (and often unusable) enlargements using the CROP effect but the results are not very smooth.

However I am still not sure with this version how to mix CROP and SCALE together to get a closer zoom.

Nat

Thanks guys! I didn't think to check the Dropdown list in the Scale Effect to change it from Default.

So, zoom in and zoom out are getting me closer to what I'm looking for, but just zooming in and out would make for a nasea-inducing production. With the version 2.xx software, you could specify your starting and ending shots to create diagonal movement while zooming in and out. I can kind of get this by also adding a Position effect with Scaling in version 3.xx, but man it's so much more work. Why...why...why would they change something that was so elegant and simple to use?

It looks like their PhotoStage software still has this zoom feature, so I'm going to try to do my still image editing there, export the file, then bring it into my video. What a pain this is turning out to be!

-Eric