VideoPad 3 available in Beta!!!!

Guest romer-n-c-h

Guest romer-n-c-h

Attention all VideoPad users. We are happy to announce that VideoPad 3 beta is now available at this link: http://www.nchsoftwa...eta/vpsetup.exe

Please download and try out the software. We are looking for all comments on this, good and bad. It is with feedback from customers like you that we can improve the full release of this software.

To thank you for downloading and using the beta version, we will be giving away licenses to the top 10 comments or suggestions that we receive.

Please go to our VideoPad forum to leave your comments.Please leave those comments below (in reply to this)

Again, thank you from NCH Software

Note:

• This beta-prerelease version has not completed testing and may have bugs,may crash or otherwise malfunction. Use it at your own risk.
  • If you want to try the new version but want to be able to restore the old version, please back up your Program Files VidoPad sub folder containing the software. You will need to do this if you want to restore the old version again.
  • Project files saved in v3 cannot be loaded in v2.

I like the look so far, still figuring out where to find things I'm accustomed to using.

So far: Can't import files from project created in previous version. However it seems to open older version project files. It would be nice for the "import files from another project" to work the same way.

After opening a project file, it seems to take quite awhile for it to begin playing. Then it crashes -- bug report on its way.

Also: The video project I imported seems to have two instances of each file on the Video Files tab -- intro, outro, and main video.

And it crashed again while I was clicking around in the overlays tab (bug report sent)

Hardware: Intel, Pentium dual core, 4 gigs RAM.

Can't import files from project created in previous version.

This is now fixed for the next build. Import will work with v2 project files, just as Open already was.

After opening a project file, it seems to take quite awhile for it to begin playing. Then it crashes

We're looking into this.

The video project I imported seems to have two instances of each file on the Video Files tab

This was due to v2 treating Files and Media as different clips. In the next build, v3 will no longer load duplicates, providing they have all the same properties. (e.g., You'll still see two clips if they had different In/Out points.)

And it crashed again while I was clicking around in the overlays tab (bug report sent)

I'm a bit unclear what you mean here. In the bug report, it sounds like you were clicking on different thumbnails in a clip bin?

Thanks for the feedback!

The Overlay + was missing

v2 had a single video track and a single overlay track. v3 has an arbitrary number of video tracks. Just drag any clip to video track 2 (or higher) and it will be overlayed on top of video track 1.

the screens shrunk

Clicking the small up arrow to the left of the help button will hide the application menu to give you back a bit more space.

And as mbcgwen mentioned, the edges of the panels can now be dragged to resize them.

I liked the extra effects -I have the old version of Windows Movie Maker and paid for extra effects but in WMM you can apply these to single frames and for the life of me I could not get Videopad to select a single frame - it would apply the effect to the entire clip. I have started to use videopad more compared with WMM as all my video clips are MP4 which you have to convert for wmm - however, the converter I used (av) started to miss out some frames from the clip. Videopad accepts MP4 - I do not know if an MP4 video would have worked on the Apples in my college last year - they did accept wmv(because tech support there had installed a special programme).

I'm a bit unclear what you mean here. In the bug report, it sounds like you were clicking on different thumbnails in a clip bin?

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes, clicking around in the clip bin.

Question -- where should we be checking for updates? Are you doing nightly builds, or should we wait for a notification?

At first trial, v3 seems to be a much more powerful product.

One important suggestion: if you add subtitles to a video, you want to have

some consistency of style. Therefore, it would be useful if either

- the default "text attributes" could be changed, or

- changes to the text attributes would be automatically repeated the next time

you apply them (as was the case in v2).

It is rather annoying to have to repeat adapting these attributes for each

individual subtitle or text clip.

At first trial, v3 seems to be a much more powerful product.

One important suggestion: if you add subtitles to a video, you want to have

some consistency of style. Therefore, it would be useful if either

- the default "text attributes" could be changed, or

- changes to the text attributes would be automatically repeated the next time

you apply them (as was the case in v2).

It is rather annoying to have to repeat adapting these attributes for each

individual subtitle or text clip.

Thanks for the feedback. This has been fixed and will be included in the next build.

in WMM you can apply these to single frames and for the life of me I could not get Videopad to select a single frame - it would apply the effect to the entire clip.

In VideoPad v3, you can animate video effects using keyframes. For example, you could add keyframes to the Negative effect to start the clip off normally, make it negative part-way through, and back to normal again shortly after. You can also use keyframes to move clips around the screen, gradually adjust brightness, create custom fades, apply varying amounts of noise, and many other uses.

Hi, I just tried v3.0 (Win XP). Here my complaints:

- No preview video (black screen)

- Some of the sequence clips remain black

You're not running in a virtual machine, are you?

What version of DirectX do you have installed? (Click Start, click Run, type dxdiag in the Open box, and then click OK.)

- Creating an output video didn't work (nothing happens)

How far did you get? Did you see the Video Output Setup dialog?

ok so today I set out to make a little video but was very disappointed - I think I will go back to the old version which I backed up. I couldn't get it to split the video at one point go on a little further split it again and delete the bit in between - it appeared to have done it but when I went to play the video back from the beginning the bit of the clip I wanted deleted was still there.

You're not running in a virtual machine, are you?

What version of DirectX do you have installed? (Click Start, click Run, type dxdiag in the Open box, and then click OK.)

How far did you get? Did you see the Video Output Setup dialog?

Hi!

No virtual machine.

The currently installed DirectX version is 9.0c.

Yes, I could go through the Output Setup Dialog.

softcake

They're not exactly nightly builds, but a new one did go up just a few minutes ago. Same URL.

Let us know if it helps with the crashing problems.

Checked the FTP server a couple times, but didn't see the install file. Will check again. [edit: successful download from the link in your original message, thanks]

Also, your forum link frequently redirects to a bandwidth exceeded message. Pretty sure you're aware of that ;-)

Upgraded to version available from link on November 2. So far no crashes, and I'm in the middle of creating and generating a video right now.

I was clipping and arranging some tracks and got a crash:

1. added intro to project

2. added main video sequence to project

3. added audio clip to project

4. added outro to project

5. saved project file

6. clipped main video at 20:00

7. clipped main video at 30:00

8. deleted clipped section from middle

9. I see that it didn't automatically move remaining clip after deleting some. I dragged the remainder of the main sequence to the end of the first segment.

10. dragged outro to end of sequence after it too was left at the far end of the timeline.

11. Oops, crashed.

12. sent bug report :-)

Crash: Setting start and end points for an MP3 sound clip, added clip to beginning of timeline, pressed Ctrl-scrollwheel to zoom in on timeline, moved horiz. scrollbar to beginning, pressed Ctrl-scrollwheel to zoom again, kaBOOM!

Verdict: still a bit ticklish. Looking forward to further abuse :-)

So, when I split a video and remove a bit from the middle, the rest of the timeline no longer snaps to the cursor position as it did in v2. I'd like this back, or at least a way to make this configurable please. It's a bit tedious to relocate a short outro back to the end of the sequence. On the other hand, I like that I can shift-click to select more than one clip.

(explaining my workflow here -- I produce screencasts of product demos, as well as edited webinars. I typically drop the whole sequence into the timeline, and do my clipping there, rather than previewing clips and setting in and out points there, seems more efficient that way as I can nuke the "coughs" and extraneous chatter from a webinar as I'm listening to it, rather than preparing each clip in advance)

Also: old gripe from v2 -- I use a Logitech trackball that allows me to set the acceleration of the pointer. Almost all other apps understand this; Videopad doesn't. Result -- the cursor slows wayyy down when Videopad gets focus. Any possibility of fixing this?

Along with all the crash reports etc., I figured I'd report a successful outcome -- I generated a video from my test project, and it plays just fine.

I like that it now prompts me to overwrite a previous iteration instead of endlessly creating new ones. Might consider making that configurable though. I also like that it's smart enough now to use the project name and path as the default for the output.

I couldn't get it to split the video at one point go on a little further split it again and delete the bit in between - it appeared to have done it but when I went to play the video back from the beginning the bit of the clip I wanted deleted was still there.

When you split and delete clips from the sequence, the original clip in the clip bin is not modified. And even the clip on the sequence does not actually have anything deleted from it - it will just have it's In / Out points adjusted to exclude the "deleted" segment. And the clip preview will still allow you to play the whole clip, not just the region between the In / Out points. If you're playing the clip preview, I'd check if the In / Out points match the position where you split. Or if you're playing the sequence preview, I'd check if there were any other clips on video tracks below the one you split.

No virtual machine.

The currently installed DirectX version is 9.0c.

Have you ever used v2 on that machine? If so, did the clip / sequence preview show correctly?

Yes, I could go through the Output Setup Dialog.

Could you let me know the output settings you used? (Disc or file, format, resolution, etc.)

Also, what are the machine specs like, and how long did you wait?

I was clipping and arranging some tracks and got a crash

Crash: Setting start and end points for an MP3 sound clip, added clip to beginning of timeline, pressed Ctrl-scrollwheel to zoom in on timeline, moved horiz. scrollbar to beginning, pressed Ctrl-scrollwheel to zoom again, kaBOOM!

We're trying to reproduce these two.

So, when I split a video and remove a bit from the middle, the rest of the timeline no longer snaps to the cursor position as it did in v2.

This might be configurable in the future, but for now you can right click on the gap and select Close Gap.

I use a Logitech trackball that allows me to set the acceleration of the pointer. Almost all other apps understand this; Videopad doesn't. Result -- the cursor slows wayyy down when Videopad gets focus.

Is that different from Windows' Control Panel setting for mouse cursor speed?

Along with all the crash reports etc., I figured I'd report a successful outcome -- I generated a video from my test project, and it plays just fine.

Finally, some good news!