Video Pad BUG pls help

generalakaba

(SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH)

Guys, im very experienced with video editing  but I have a problem; like most of you experienced editors i dont edit in 1080p but i convert the original video I want to edit into a much smaller file so that i can edit without making the program lag (after i'm finished with the editing i click on "change file..." and then i put the original 1080p video and Videopad automatically keeps all the cuts and the effects).

Problem is that today I used a "change clip speed..." effect on two consecutive clips and then at the end when i was finish with the editing i clicked on "change file" but this time it bugged out everything...I noticed that this appens only when you use "change clip speed" ...pls do you know how to fix? its just me or its a program problem? thank you all.

Placed two low-res clips on the timeline.  Split-out a few sections.  Increased speed of both to 150%.  Changed their files to a higher res version ... and back, several times.             No issues.

What version of VP is being used?  Were there effects on the clips?  Specifically,, what do you mean by "bugged out everything?"

Try the Clear Unused Cache Files choice, under OPTIONS|DISK tab and see if that makes a difference.

Interestingly, after larger files were substituted their PROPERTIES sheet did not reflect the change.  However, DETECT at export confirmed they were higher-res.

Hi

I find this works and have used it from time to time.....

• Use a video converter program to produce low res clips out of the hi res clips (Keeping same name, format and file type)
  • Place the hi-res clips in a folder labelled HR
  • Place the lo-res clips in a folder labelled LR
  • Create a folder called PROJECT
  • Move the clips from LR to the PROJECT folder
  • Load the clips from the PROJECT folder to VP and edit the video. 
  • Save a .vpj file of the project. (This would normally be saved to the PROJECT folder)
  • Move the  lo-res clips in the PROJECT back to LR
  • Move the hi-res clips from HR to the PROJECT folder.
  • Load the project from the vpj file. This will now load the hi res clips and recreate the project.

The clips load and the edits are made as expected but this time with the hi res clips. The video can now be exported in the normal way.

Tested this scenario with VP 6.10 using speed changes of 50% and 150% plus zoom in/out and colour temp changes up/down first with lo res clips which exported and played back correctly Recreated the project with the hi res clips and this also exported and played back correctly.

Nat

On 7/26/2018 at 7:06 PM, borate said:

Placed two low-res clips on the timeline.  Split-out a few sections.  Increased speed of both to 150%.  Changed their files to a higher res version ... and back, several times.             No issues.

What version of VP is being used?  Were there effects on the clips?  Specifically,, what do you mean by "bugged out everything?"

Try the Clear Unused Cache Files choice, under OPTIONS|DISK tab and see if that makes a difference.

Interestingly, after larger files were substituted their PROPERTIES sheet did not reflect the change.  However, DETECT at export confirmed they were higher-res.

because thats not what im asking...im also changing the file type by clicking on "change file" in the video files section

On 7/27/2018 at 2:34 AM, Nationalsolo said:

Hi

I find this works and have used it from time to time.....

• Use a video converter program to produce low res clips out of the hi res clips (Keeping same name, format and file type)
  • Place the hi-res clips in a folder labelled HR
  • Place the lo-res clips in a folder labelled LR
  • Create a folder called PROJECT
  • Move the clips from LR to the PROJECT folder
  • Load the clips from the PROJECT folder to VP and edit the video. 
  • Save a .vpj file of the project. (This would normally be saved to the PROJECT folder)
  • Move the  lo-res clips in the PROJECT back to LR
  • Move the hi-res clips from HR to the PROJECT folder.
  • Load the project from the vpj file. This will now load the hi res clips and recreate the project.

The clips load and the edits are made as expected but this time with the hi res clips. The video can now be exported in the normal way.

Tested this scenario with VP 6.10 using speed changes of 50% and 150% plus zoom in/out and colour temp changes up/down first with lo res clips which exported and played back correctly Recreated the project with the hi res clips and this also exported and played back correctly.

Nat

this works greatly but...can you confirm to me that the Inside videopad option (and not this "exploit") "change file" is bugged with faster and slower clips?

generalakaba said:

... because tha'ts not what I'm asking...I'm also changing the file type by clicking on "change file" in the video files section

That's precisely how the files were 'changed, as outlined above, by right-clicking a file in the bin and choosing CHANGE FILE and selecting the clip that has a different resolution.

Hi

" ...can you confirm to me that the Inside videopad option (and not this "exploit") "change file" is bugged with faster and slower clips? "

Change file will swap the selected clip in the clip bin for another of the same type..i.e. a video clip for a video clip. The effects applied to the original timeline clip are retained and take effect on the new clip.

Change in clip speed..There is a bug somewhere here when change clip is used......

If a clip is placed on the timeline and its speed increased to say, 400 it behaves correctly and is shown as 1/4 of its original length on the timeline. Both thumbnails (timeline and clip bin) correctly show the original clip duration when hovered over.

Using change clip to swap the clip in the bin now with a new one the change in speed is NOT transferred to the replaced clip. Even though the replaced clip shows the new speed it retains its correct (original) timeline length - It's not reduced to 1/4   Further, the durations now shown if the clips are hovered over are markedly different.

Nat

PS. The method I suggested above to change lo-res clips to hi-res clips for the whole of a project is the ONLY one that will work as a bulk change file option is not available and in fact might be difficult to implement.

Speed change anomaly confirmed here.

A low-res version of a 30" clip was placed on the time line and sped up X4.  Then the high-res version was substituted via CHANGE CLIP.

The result played at the high speed, but the clip on the time line (and the export) displayed the full thirty seconds - freeze framed at the end of the X4 video - while the length listed in PROPERTIES was two minutes.

Hi Borate

You're right!  That's even worse!

I didn't actually play the clip or test an export as the timeline length hadn't changed to 1/4 and so I assumed the speed (400)  hadn't been transferred.

Did you notice the "Hover" durations shown for the replaced timeline clip and the same clip in the bin? The timeline clip showed 1min something when the actual clip in the bin was around 15 seconds.!

Nat

Yes, in this example the 15" clip duration in the bin did not change and the timeline replacement clip length remained at 15" while PROPERTIES lists one minute.                                   The frozen end section would have to be trimmed.

VP_speed_change_clip.jpg

Same in 6.20.  Placed low-res Windows Wildlife.wmv on timeline.  Increased speed to 400.000.  Right-click in timeline to change clip to the high-res version.  Freeze at the end of the sped-up clip.  And, after a 'change', the bin clip and timeline properties sheets still list the file as low res, though export|detect shows that it indeed is the high-res version.