How to re-install previous version of Videopad

Bluewkd72

I upgraded to 3.02 last night (after crashing issues) but my current project took over an hour to load (appears to have taken 7gb of hard drive space) and is unworkable as it keeps freezing. My project is nearly finished so I just want to go back to the previous version but I'm not sure how. Do I just re-install from free download and then add my registration number? Also I saved my project in the new software, will it still load up in my previous one now? and finally does anyone know why it took so much of my hard drive space and where it would have been stored (I'm thinking temp cache but I'm a novice so not sure where to find & delete) - the video was approx 11 mins long but made up from clips from 15 mkv files (approx 40mins per file).

I'm desperate to get my nearly completed project back after days of work. If anyone can help me you would make this young lady very happy.

Many thanks in advance,

Angie

My project is nearly finished so I just want to go back to the previous version but I'm not sure how. Do I just re-install from free download and then add my registration number?

In Windows Control Panel, click Programs and Features, then double-click on the Videopad installation and see if it offers to rollback to the prior version. It did here.

Also I saved my project in the new software, will it still load up in my previous one now?

It should. Just be sure that the files and clips that were used to create the project haven't been moved or purged.

I've got the system re-installed but now it says my project is not recognized in the old version. HELP feel like crying. Can't use the new version and now previous version won't open file. I have spent days on this video and scared I have lost it all. Before prompt to download new version is given a warning should come up telling you that you will not be able to back date...

Oh and have managed to clear my cache through software and it deleted 20GB!

Hi Angie

The version 3 cache files are all .CACHE type whereas in previous versions of VP the designations were varied, presumably to reflect what the files contained. This is probably why the projects (which use the cache files to generate) are not now interchangable between versions (apparently) as the files are seen as being of a different type.

I did see somewhere on the forum however that V3.02 could redesignate the old project files, presumably by changing all the types to .CACHE and so load the project. However, even if this is correct I am pretty certain it doesn't work the other way round for obvious reasons.

I have switched back and forth several times between version 2.41 and version 3.02 (which I am trying out but still not sure about despite some useful enhancments,) and have had no problems.

If you still have the vpsetup.exe file from both versions saved somewhere, it's just a matter of clearing out all the NCH files and folders from your PC (drop them into the dustbin) and then re-running the particular vpsetup.exe for the version you want.

Nat

I've got the system re-installed but now it says my project is not recognized in the old version. HELP feel like crying.

Please forgive the misinformation. I had it in mind that you were reverting to an earlier 3.x incarnation, not 2.x. Yet until Nat mentioned it I didn't realize that their cache files were incompatible, or would have warned you.

I see in your other thread that you were able to restore, but that some problems persist. ^-( Hope you soon get it sorted out.

Was in touch with tech support at NCH regarding the wide spread issues we are all having with speed issues,

I received a reply from NCH regarding bascially re-stating that their software engineers are working on the problem and they will make a new release of Video Pad when complete. So check every week for a new release,

In the mean time I found saving and then reloading the project can allow you to preview the edits you make, but that is also time consuming, I'd just export the project as a MP4 file and download another video editor like VSDC (it is not as good), it is free and at least that way you can complete your project if it is time sensitive, otherwise I'd just wait on NCH

I am in the same boat as a prior poster. I upgrade from a 2.x version to a 3.x version because I was crashing everytime I went to save a movie. But now all my work/sequence is lost. I need help restoring the old version.

I'm really at wits end. I've put over 30 hours into this project and and beyond frustrated. Will pay anyone who is willing $40 per hour to take my old sequence somehow and save it as a working movie in any usuable format. I was 90% pleased with it and it just needed some touchup and now its all gone. I'm desparate. This is the montage for my son's bar mitzvah. (will pay for the touchup as well).

Please help,

Hi Zwills

Glad you have got your project back.

In another post I have outlined the steps I take and the settings I use to save my finished projects to my PC in a playable form. (.avi). (See "Problem with creating a video")

Once this has been done I use a third party DVD creator program to create a menued DVD (DVDStyler mostly) using that .avi.

I assume you have your Project .vpj file OK and all your clips/images still on your PC so you can re-create your project without a problem in the event of a crash. Until you sort it out don't empty your cache file.

Give the steps I mention in that post a try and let us know how you got on.

Nat

One thing i have found (and this may not have anything to do with your problem, but I thought I'd mention it anyway) is that if you remove a scene (while building your timeline) and then replace it with another scene, or, if you are just adding the next scene at the end of the timeline, but you miss getting it butted up to the previous scene (by as little as a single frame gap), the project will very often freeze at that point during playback. If you wear glasses...wear them! :-)

Another thing Idon't like in VideoPad is that if you want to do a video insert in the middle of a build timeline, VideoPad will not move the foillowing scenes forward or back as a group (not my copy anyway) which causes you to virtually have to rebuild all the following scenes. The only way around this is to insert a scene which is exactly the same length frame to frame as the amount you cut out. Or, better yet, do your inserts as an overlay. If someone knows better, please post it.

Man, I hope NCH is at least reading these posts. Really waiting to see what the next version is like.

Another thing Idon't like in VideoPad is that if you want to do a video insert in the middle of a build timeline, VideoPad will not move the foillowing scenes forward or back as a group (not my copy anyway) which causes you to virtually have to rebuild all the following scenes. The only way around this is to insert a scene which is exactly the same length frame to frame as the amount you cut out.

Test this...

First, split at the insert point and drag the clips that are right of that point. Create a gap length that is easily longer than the length of the clip to be inserted.

Butt the new clip to the left side of the gap and then close the gap.

Or use the overlay track, as you suggested, then split and position the earlier track to begin after the newly inserted material.

HI all and Zwills

I don't think this crash at 2m39s is a problem related to gaps in the sequence as in V2.41, which I understand Zwills is using, the video track clips automatically joint on and there are no gaps (except the overlay and sound tracks.)

I assume that the crash occurs when Zwills is trying to create the .avi on his PC.but also asssume that the complete sequence previews OK within VP. It might be a PC problem?? :wacko:

One possible solution (workaround) might be to cut the sequence just short of the point where it crashes and remove All of the clips to the right of this point. Then save this first section as .avi.(using the settings I mentioned)

Reload the project (I understand the .vpj file and clips are still there) and then cut again at the same point, or just before it to provide an overlap, but now remove the clips to the left. Save a second .avi. In short, break up the sequence into smaller sections and save each as a separtae .avi file.

Assuming that the .avis create and save OK then close VP, reopen it and then reload them to the media list and sequence line.

(May take a short time) and trim off any overlaps between them.

Now save the complete sequence again as a new .avi. If it fails this time it has nothing to do with fades/transitions/editing/overlays of the original clips as VP treats these loaded files as a complete, single units.

Worth a try.

Nat