I registered, stopped using videopad for two years. Why am I back on the free version?

dee100

Free version has expired, what do I do now?

I have registration number don't think I've got anything else.

I think Borate told me to use an updated version, he sent me a link,  and that's how I ended up on the free version.

• borate changed the title to I registered, stopped using videopad for two years. Why am I back on the free version?

Hmmm, well I'm not an employee of NCH Software, but I think this is quite a usual way of the software industry to earn money. And if they publish quality products, they sure deserve it.

However, you can still use the (full) version you purchased - or the limited, but free current version.

No fraud.  You should never have to repurchase.  Go here if there's a problem.  VP is offered via outright purchase or subscription.  Many other NLEs are subscription only.

Purchased releases don't expire.  Updates - often subtle UI and feature changes and minor fixes - are free during for the six-month period.  Try them out.  But there's no mandate to update if your version is doing the job.  The latest release can always be test driven for a full-featured trial period, before some features are disabled.

In no way should your purchased version "go to pot."  But the program, and your PC, do change over the years - sometimes for good - sometimes not.😉

After 6-9 months, It kept crashing, and it would take me hours to do simple tasks I just stopped editing I gave up on editing for two years.

When I edited some videos about six weeks ago, first time in two years, using the latest version link that you sent me, even  that one kept crashing too within 2  mins twice, .... on the third attempt I was able to do an edit.

Shouldn't happen, of course.  Doesn't here.  Crashing can have several causes.  Look at this.

You haven't shared the PC's specs - CPU/GPU/RAM - but they can certainly impact performance.  Video editing is resource intensive.

Test the current VP 64-bit version.

Prior to starting a new project, go to OPTIONS | DISK tab and Clear Unused Cache Files.

Share a project that tends to crash.  The process is easy, quick and can be done privately.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.