Text animations are not smooth

HEC

https://www.ergo-travel.com/APICS/GreatArtCities-promo(w text).mp4

I have inserted some text into this video and used the scroll function within the text editor. However, the exported video shows the text scrolling to be very jittery and not at all consistent with the max frame rate of 60fps which I have set. I also found that it was really tedious to reposition the text (and in some case impossible) have not tried using an effect like Pan & Zoom. If this is possible would the panning be smoother. Or is there some other way of achieving this, eg. importing a png file of a text to be treated as an image instead?

What version is being used?  Precisely which text is in question?

Share that project, please.  Someone will check it out.  The process is easy, quick and can be done privately.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Hi

The text scrolling smoothness depends a lot on the font size and the duration of the clip as well as the length of the text. A longer duration text clip will scroll more smoothly in general.

From the point of view of positioning the text image use the Position effect and you can place the text anywhere you like within (or even outside) the frame. There are caveats though if you want to animate it. Scroll the text image using the Position effect with keyframes. Note that the text in this case must not be longer than the width of the screen  otherwise it will get truncated. If you are looking to increase the size of the text during a scroll then add a Scale effect with keyframes.

You may find that scrolling text using Position may be smoother than using the scrolling associated with the text editor. Think of making the duration of the text as long as is possible to get a smoother scroll.

Experiment a bit and see what works best in your particular case.

Nat

Thanks to both of you for answering this.

I'm using the 10.52 64bit version which I think Borate provided the link for on another thread. The text I am referring to are "history" which appears around the 27s mark but become very jittery from 30s onwards, and the word "townscape" which start fine around 31s but becomes jittery after 33s. The thing is, it's supposed to be variable frame rate between 30fps and 60fps so I don't understand why there is all this shakiness.

I will try out Nationalsolo's suggestion first to see if it works before sharing the project. Thanks again.

BTW, is there a 64bit version of the latest 10.54? The download page doesn't specify anything.

Thanks! I have downloaded and installed it, but I have also checked the main download page and I see that it isn't listed. Isn't there a a way to get the latest 64bit version without having to bother you guys every time? 

I have managed to adjust almost everything using "position", with one exception (see below): https://www.ergo-travel.com/APICS/GreatArtCities-promo.mp4

This has been a great learning experience, thanks to you both. I've also discovered that I can also do a lot using png files with transparency, which I used in a few locations. The one instance where this was used in place of a text clip is the word "hidden clues" which appears at 30s. It was just easier to achieve the effect using an image clip from Photoshop rather than try and manipulate a text clip.