Picture/Video Slideshow Project crashing upon opening

Janek27

I am working on a family slideshow compilation of pictures and videos with music attached. I'd guess about 1000 photos and 30 videos with the overall file size at about 1.15mb and a length of about 1:15:00

Today I started adding music to the file, having gotten the photos and videos in the order I wanted them. After adding only 2 songs I can no longer do anything in the program, every time I open the file and it loads I get a "abnormal execution problem error" after a couple minutes and it crashes. I've tried clearing the cache, reinstalling, reinstalling an older version, etc. and nothing so far has worked. 

One thing that "worked" was deleting all audio from the video and saving a separate version, however comparing the two the size difference goes from 1.15mb to 1.07mb and of course there is no purpose having the video without sound. 

Any idea what I might be able to do to resolve this? I've been working on this for well over a month and need to complete it within the next two weeks. Any help is appreciated!

What version is being run?  What are the PC's specs:  CPU/GPU/RAM?

Are the video driver and Direct-X up to date?   https://www.nch.com.au/kb/10265.html

Issues are quickly resolved if an effort is made to share the project, or at least as much of it as possible prior to the exception.  Someone will check it out for you.

Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

I'm currently running v10.47 on a computer with 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1185G7 @ 3.00GHz   1.80 GHz / Intel Iris Xe graphics / 16GB RAM

Thank you for the instructions, I'm working on uploading the folder but it is taking quite some time given the number of files included. As I was looking a bit further into the video I also found that photos have randomly shuffled around. I had sections for events such as christmas, halloween, birthdays grouped together but now the timeline is showing christmas photo, halloween photo, birthday photo, christmas, halloween, birthday, etc. even though i had each section grouped.

I'm not sure at this point if this project will be able to be salvaged vs. starting from scratch

Once a track is in place - say, your photos in this case - lock the track by right-click in the area to its left.  VP should not randomly shuffle content.

When you say the categories were 'grouped' - in exactly what manner?  Did you place each on a separate track?

Again, please list the PC specs:  CPU/GPU/RAM.  Did you confirm that the video driver and Direct-X are up to date, per the link above?

At each critical step Save Project File AS, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the chevron to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar.  Then you can always restore the project to the state it was in when the VPJ file was created.  Just double-click that file.

I was working on a single track throughout, adding the photos for each section and once i was happy with the order and length of the photos selected them all at once, right clicked, and hit "group selected clips" so they wouldn't get mixed up then would periodically ungroup/regroup if I was moving photos/videos from one section to another.

The save as is a useful tip moving forward, unfortunately will not be of much use for this situation

Can't say for certain without seeing the project, but using 'grouping' in that manner may have caused the issue.  You might instead consign each category to a single track.

And those PC stats and the video driver/Direct-X status?  If possible, please link the project upload folder here.

Sorry, just finished uploading to google drive, here is the folder https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10mIui6v-d3ynXaE0VUeHirMcusouP2a0?usp=sharing 

PC stats: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1185G7 @ 3.00GHz   1.80 GHz / Intel Iris Xe graphics / 16GB RAM hopefully this is what you are looking for,  I'm not very technical. I ran a check for graphic driver updates and it said I have the latest.

Thanks for the stats, which were overlooked when you listed them earlier.  Clips in the well organized bin folders should not move or change.

You say that you are running 10.47.  That likely was a 32-bit version that ran out of memory.

Install this 64-bit release, which is more capable for sizable projects.

No crashes here, but it appears that the effort isn't quite complete - with some video and audio holes.

For export, lower resolution to 1920x1080 at the highest, or perhaps 1024x576 Wide or 1280x720.  This will shorten export time.  No need for Ultra High Def 3840x2160.  What's shown in the box is but a suggestion, based on the resolution of some content.

image.png

Again, it's not clear how you 'grouped' but there should be no issue placing clips on the timeline though that can affect the placement of other clips in certain circumstances.

Carry on with the version linked above and be sure to SAVE AS routinely.

Let us know.

Hi

One way of working a project like this (indeed like a lot of long projects) is to...

• Load all the images clips etc to their respective bins.
  • Start editing section 1 of your project, adding the required clips/images to the time line and trimming etc until that section of the project is edited as you want it. 
  • Do a Save Project As  now (if you haven't done one previously) so you can return to this point later if you need to. Call it something like Slideshow Part 1 
  • Back on the timeline click the + sign that follows Sequence 1 X  to empty the timeline and create Sequence 1 in the sequence bin.
  • Repeat these steps with the next set of clips/images so creating Sequence 2  
  • Continue in this way until you have all the project finished in Sequences - Sequence 1; Sequence 2; Sequence 3 & etc.  and each having a Save Project As  .vpj file Slideshow Part 1 ;  Slideshow Part 2  & etc.
  • You can now load back the sequences to the empty timeline, so reforming the complete project.
  • Finish any editing...Titles; background music etc.
  • Export as required.

Nothing should get out or order and all editing stages for sections will have been saved with their respective .vpj file.

Nat

Thank you both so much for the help and suggestions, I was able to put about 2 hours of work in. After deleting the music I had added I was able to start breaking up into groups of 3ish sections, saving as, and repeat and things seems to be working much more smoothly. I decided to scrap the sections which were shuffled but had thankfully already binned the content of each section so hasn't been as much work to fix them as it could have. 

One thing I have noticed is the program seems to start to lag when I hit about the 8 minute mark with this new strategy and it's crashed on me a couple times. It's totally manageable but not sure if there might be any tips to help this besides clearing the cache?

Thanks for the follow up.  Be sure that you are using the 64-bit release.  There were no hang ups or lags, once all files had been cached.  This can take some time.

It's wise to clear the cache prior to starting a new project.  And it can be cleared on unused files at anytime during the edit.

Upload the final for analysis if you have the time.  Someone will text an export.

Hi

The lag you mention most probably due to the number of clips/slides being processed. Hence the advice to break the work into shorter sections and saving as Sequences (or even separate exports--although this would have been slower). As an experiment I loaded VP with 3000 1920 x 1080 jpgs and set it up as a 4 second crossfade slideshow with the addition of 12 mp4 videos of between 2 mins and 40 mins duration. This was on a old dual core Vista PC and running VP 8.43 (32 bit)

There were over 3GB in the cache from this and processing rapidly slowed down when any editing was done. The total timeline duration was around 3 hrs. Although the cache simply holds certain file copies which don't alter hugely as you edit  VP keeps a temp  autosaved  vpj file in the event of a crash and I suspect constant updating of this temp file as you edit slows things down a bit but PC processing ability is  a major factor. The autosaved file is usually deleted when VP is exited normally.

Nat

On 6/20/2021 at 9:38 PM, borate said:

Thanks for the follow up.  Be sure that you are using the 64-bit release.  There were no hang ups or lags, once all files had been cached.  This can take some time.

It's wise to clear the cache prior to starting a new project.  And it can be cleared on unused files at anytime during the edit.

Upload the final for analysis if you have the time.  Someone will text an export.

How do you know whether you're using a 32 bit or a 64 bit version of the software. When I select the About Videopad menu item iot tells me I'm using Videopad Professional 10.49 with no reference to 32 vs. 64.

I've  been having consistent crashing problems and was tempted to click your 64-bit link above but I don't want to make matters worse....