what exactly does auto-format do?

kjlpdx

Auto Format is one of the most useful features in Crescendo. It automatically repositions all notes in the score or in the selected measures so they are equally spaced. Although each note can be moved manually, Auto Format saves hours of work arranging notes. Tip: While manually dragging notes around, you can hold down the Shift key to avoid accidentally changing the pitch of the not

i am getting it to work now.  i was expecting it to adjust measure lengths, so it appeared nothing was happening.  with what little i've done with it so far it seems that using the bar tool you should first plunk down bars first and then go fill each measure if you want your music to look tidy and the grand staff measures to align.

i called up my file today.  crescendo crashed several times [WIN10, chrome] requiring task mgr to delete it.  now it seems to have loaded but i have no tool bars along the top.  usually you can grab an edge and pull them down, but no luck.  so aggravating.  i had finally figured out how things work and kinda' liked this pkg. no workaround when you have no tools.

In this case, try doing a clean install and delete all the cache of the program. Uninstall your software first, then go to the folder location below on your computer then delete the Crescendo folder folders:

C:\ProgramData\NCH Software
C:\Users\(Your computer profile)\AppData\Roaming\NCH Software\Crescendo

If you can't find the AppData folder, set Windows to show hidden files and folders with the steps from this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14201/windows-show-hidden-files.

After deleting the Crescendo folder, restart your computer then install it again from the next link: https://www.nch.com.au/components/crescendosetup.exe

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2021 at 2:52 AM, kjlpdx said:

i can't make it do anything.  i expected it to align notes and make it look like a published piece where the treble and bass clef notes are aligned.

If you put words to your melody, and have sufficient space within the bar, the 1/8 notes and associated  words, or syllables of words will crowd together, and thiose with whole notesm as an example, will spead out.  Sorry for miskeying a lot in this replay.  So a singer can "read" or see the beat of words, so to speak, by the density of the written word, even if they don't read a lick of musical notation.  I too am a novice.

• 3 weeks later...

Auto format is not so useful.  It can result in the need for laborious manual editing.  If a piece contains accidentals, using Auto Format cab allow accidentals to obscure the preceding note.  Similarly, accidentals can obscure Measure / Bar numbers if the option to show numbers for all Measures is selected.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2021 at 7:55 AM, Cello said:

Auto format is not so useful.  It can result in the need for laborious manual editing.  If a piece contains accidentals, using Auto Format cab allow accidentals to obscure the preceding note.  Similarly, accidentals can obscure Measure / Bar numbers if the option to show numbers for all Measures is selected.

TRUE!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/1/2021 at 10:02 PM, bd1308 said:

I have a more vexing problem--where *is* AutoFormat? I do not have this option either on the Score menu or the Format menu.

Up in the menu bar, see menu Score Edit . . . 

Cliclk on edit and then see just below and between menu and score, Auto Format,

Be aware, auto format can shift measures to lower systems.  Pretty Effed up.