File paths

valuenyc

Is there a way to have VideoPad default to using relative paths? If not, can I make a feature request somewhere?

I do know about portable projects and that is way better than nothing, but it's not quite as convenient or neat -- at least for me. For me, it would be preferable if I could count on VideoPad's using relative paths.

Many thanks,

Jeanne

• borate changed the title to File paths

Perhaps explain more precisely how you would utilize relative paths.

Videopad installs on C:\.  This isn't configurable.

Save paths for files and caching can be specified under OPTIONS | DISK tab.

To make a suggestion, click the chevron at the top-right of the VP window.

Thanks, Borate. I was talking about the path for files.

It is helpful to be able to change the default, but it doesn't help when you want to move a project. Anyway, I've spent too much time on this when just adapting to using the portable project would serve me better. The only downside is that VideoPad copies each shared media file to each child folder, such that if I needed to revise one of the shared files, I'd have to do it multiple times. That's not just inelegant. I'm in gray zone where I'm probably archiving and not about to change anything but I'm not 100% sure. That's fairly common for me.

It seems simple (famous last words?) since the "portable project" uses relative paths. I can rename or move the folder to anywhere, but I can't do it with the main project. At least that's how it looks to me right now.

I don't see the chevron, but I found the option for feedback under the FILE menu.

Once again, thanks,

Jeanne

ver. 8.45

If you use the option "backup project files to a folder" the resulting backup seem to be using relative paths. Meaning, you can copy the backup to anywhere. Open the included .vpj file and it all works. (using relative paths for project files by default would be a nice feature)