Aspect Ratio Discrepancy

Perry Matthews

I was working on several projects, and for each, I've added an image to use as my title cards. 

Theoretically speaking, the title cards should be identical as they are using the exact same ones. However, in one of the projects, there are black borders at the sides. When I checked the image's property for each file, the aspect ratio was the same at 1920 x 1080. There aren't any effects being used either, as they are merely dropped into the timeline.

What could be causing this discrepancy amongst the projects? Any help is appreciated. 

Hi

A 1920 x 1080 image should be a full screen image in the GUI. Check that the preview window is set for Match Content. If you have set it to Match Monitor you may get bars at top and bottom. (Yours at the side though) Check that the offending image doesn't actually have black bars as part of the image......it can still be 1920 x 1080......

Hover over the image in the bin......is it shown without any bars and does it say 1920 x 1080?

Nat

No difference, as the Letterbox simply adds the black borders anyways. I'm just confused as to why one of my projects has this problem and the other doesn't. I've also done some tests, and it turns out that the black borders appear AFTER I insert my MP4 file into the timeline. My guess is that the images automatically transform their aspect ratio to match that of the MP4 file. How do I avoid this?

Share the project that has the borders and someone will check it out.  It's easy, quick and can be private.  Just follow these steps carefully...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.