Cache file overload observations

Pqs

Hi!
I just downloaded VideoPad and i also found this cache building. I have used Adobe Premiere Pro before, and that program never builds cache like this.
I thought i should share what i have found after some reading and research on my own, that i haven't seen anyone else pointing out here.

The cache has a limit for each export, project, session, sequence...
Its fairly similar in size to the original file. So i.e.
I had this documentary with commercial and additional 30 min overtime.
Total original size:          3.77 GB.
The generated cache:   3:71 GB.
Exported final Size:        340 Mb
Export time:                    1h 22 min.

This is useful information if you dont have a HD with 4 TB free space.
I tend to ready my projects/sessions/sequences before bed, and export during the night. In other video editing programs cache has never been a problem. But VideoPad doubbles the space taken with its Cache. So i always calculate that exporting during the night will take at least the equal ammount of chache-space that the original files are, and an additional 1/7 of space for the exported files.

Why VideoPad does this i have no idea since its kind of redundant to chache original files when they havnt been edited.
I haven't added any effects, nor any new material. I have only deleted commercials in between a documentary.

Hi Pqs

The VP cache file  continues to enlarge  as you add projects, clips/, images, audio ,Transitions, effects , splits,  and text files etc.  It can comprise data from every project  you have ever created unless it is cleared from time to time or reaches the limit you set in the Options/Disk re: Free disk space. That is the only limit as far as I know.

After checking several recent projects  from the forum I cleared the cache of 2,051 files occupying 12.25 GB! So it can build up quite rapidly.

Initially the cache contains jpg copies of the clips used in the project,  e.g. Actual clip = 17.4 MB  and its Image in cache = 12.5 KB These values will vary according the clip but there are also smaller Index files  Each additional clip adds an image and an index file. Without any editing the cache is always less than the project size. Adding effects and Transitions increase the size of the cache. But remember that the cache may also contain data from previous finished projects.

Also, stepping back through the editing steps using undo does not  alter the cache.....it remains as it was. So it can get pretty big and not actually reflect the project at all. 

Nat

Videopad is probably the number one cache file generator out there :)

It filled up the free space on my SSD C drive a couple of times.

And I now have a separate 128 GB NVMe drive just for videopad.

It is not uncommon for the cached file size to become bigger than the raw video footage. Over 100GB

As far as I know, noting you can do about this :( I hope they will overhaul this cache system in the new 64 bit version.