Adding clips to timeline audio plays left channel only

JeffP

Hi

I create some videos with my iPhone using the built in mic. Others I use a mic plugged into the lightning port.

In VideoPad, when I listen to either clip the audio comes out of both channels. If I add the one using the built-in mic to the timeline it is fine and the audio comes out both channels.

But if I add a clip created using a mic plugged into the lightning port to the timeline I only get a left track.

The interesting thing is that outside of VideoPad the clip sounds fine, and listening to the clip in VideoPad it's fine, but as soon as I add the clip to the timeline it only plays in the left channel.

Can anybody help with this?

Hi

VP would seem to be reading the channels as recorded by you r input devices. When you export click the quality option (blue link) shown to the right of the format box. This will open an encoding session window where you can select the preferred audio channels. The default is Same as input

ww.jpg

Try 2 (stereo) but check them out to which one works for you. Not sure if you can make the preview into stereo if it only recorded on right or left channel at origin.

Nat

What VP version are you using?  Try the latestFor licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

The lightning port mic is apparently recording only the left channel.

If the issue isn't solved by updating VP, or Nat's suggestions, convert the MONO file to stereo (center-channel MONO) in Wavepad (free trial).

At the bottom of the Wavepad window click on the word "stereo."  Choose to convert to MONO and click on OK.  Save the file and import it into Videopad.

9 hours ago, Nationalsolo said:

Try 2 (stereo) but check them out to which one works for you. Not sure if you can make the preview into stereo if it only recorded on right or left channel at origin.

Nat

Hi Nat

To get around it I export as mono. That works. It's just that during editing it's awkward because on some clips I hear stereo, on others mono left only.

I have also noticed that if all my clips are mono then it plays back on both channels. But if I add just one clip that's stereo then all mono clips now only play in the left channel.

Another solution is to never use the built-in mic on the phone, and I think that's where I'll go.

8 hours ago, borate said:

If the issue isn't solved by updating VP, or Nat's suggestions, convert the MONO file to stereo

Hi Borate

I have been doing that, but I have to unlink the audio from the video. When I do that I can't relink it back and then editing causes issues. In my reply to Nat you'll see my work around.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting,  if you load a stereo clip,  you get stereo VU display, but if when you then add a mono track it reverts to mono, and the pan control only works left. Panning right is now output.   Am I doing something wrong or is it a software failing.   PS,  I've been using final cut on mac for over ten years.  Is there somewhere you can specify the sequence audio format.

thanks borat,  the oddity is that the track does have a moving pan pot button,  but that just fades it out.  It's in the design somewhere,.

I'm on with this problem too,  I note that if you add a mono track to a stereo timeline it makes the timeline mono,  then the mono track only comes out mono when panned left and panning right just fades it.  So that is either an operation quirk that I havn't found or something not right in the software, that's not been solved.  That's quite disconcerting, fortunately I have it on monthly licence so might look for an alternative PC based editor.  Also what is annoying is every time you try to do something it tries to sell you more software,  they need to put their energy into sorting out this problem before I commit further.

Your comments in the other dated thread have been consolidated here.  You are seeing correct behavior when mixing stereo and  single track MONO clips.  Convert the left-channel only clip to center-channel MONO in Wavepad, as suggested earlier.  Then adding it to the otherwise stereo track will retain all stereo content and pan will work too.

When recording, record both left and right channels - even if there's no stereo - and this won't happen.  A left-channel only recording won't pan right because there is no audio on the right channel.

If using the free/trial version of course you will be prompted to license.  The company can't stay in business if no one buys.  But Videopad will continue to function with limited features, and no watermark.  Overall seems a generous approach.