Crop video and export

TF2009

I am so glad I didn't pay for this after the trial before figuring out this huge flaw that renders the program almost unusable. 

It's surreal and unbelievable to not have the cropped area become what will be exported at the end.

Don't put bars around it, don't stretch it, don't force any specific aspect ratio onto it.

All the workarounds here are ridiculous and too impractical.

And Zoom is NOT the same, as it keep the original resolution.

If I have a 4K horizontal video and just want to crop out a 320p vertical area, I don't want that to stay 4K resolution, and I don't want to measure how large the crop has become and enter those values somewhere manually.

This is not a missing feature, this is minimal core behavior of how a video editor should work.
Might as well try to sell a bicycle that can't steer and then have long forum discussions about how people just have to lean to a side and use their feet on the ground to change direction.

It's unclear what you want the result to be...

A 4K portrait video was cropped to vertically isolate a tree and table at the left, using the 9x16 preset.  Then it was exported at 320x240.

The result was the cropped area as shown in this still.  What did you expect?

test_crop.jpg

Hi

It does seem you are not understanding how Crop and Zoom work. In short Zoom loses quality but Crop does not.

".....It's surreal and unbelievable to not have the cropped area become what will be exported at the end. ...."

• Original:
  •  
  • aa.jpg
  •  
  • Cropped:
  • bb.jpg
  •  
  • Export:
  • dd.jpg

What did you expect? The Frame has been cropped  (restrained to 16:9 in this instance). The area chopped off (cropped) is still there but is now black. You are seeing the whole frame...resolution has not changed and image quality remains the same. If you wanted the selected area full screen then use the Zoom effect and there will be no borders. Resolution (pixel x pixel) will remain the same but image quality will be worse.

"....And Zoom is NOT the same, as it keep the original resolution....."

Zoom crops but also enlarges  the selection to make it full screen.

• Full Frame:
  •  
  • ff.jpg
  •  
  • Full Frame Cropped:
  • aaa.jpg
  • The whole frame is retained so the selected cropped area does not lose quality
  •  
  • But when Zoomed:
  • bbb.jpg
  • The selected (cropped) area is enlarged by removing the black borders and filling in with duplicated image pixels. In effect visual quality is lost. The final result will have the same resolution as the original un-zoomed frame but may not be as clear.

This loss in quality may not be seen at normal zoom levels however. It's one reason why it is always better to use an optical zoom on the camera when shooting  instead of the editing digital  zoom.

Nat