Text placed on track 4 and out of sight

Uberprutser

I just discovered that al my simple text edits were placed on track 4. Track 4 was out of sight so I dragged them to the time line in track 2. Now I got everything twice. How do I prevent this from happening? can I force those text clip to be placed on a certain track? Also, there is something wrong with the text overlay. I now longer can see size changes on screen. Looks relatable to my zoom issue.

Text clips are placed on the first unused higher track and there's no way to force them to automatically be placed on a specific track.

To change tracks simply drag them or delete text on the timeline and drag the clip from the image bin to the desired track.

It's unclear what you mean by "size changes."  What VP version is being used?  Suggest running this one.

Hi

Text, by default is placed on Track 2 at the red cursor line position. VP considers that unless you want otherwise it is  to  overlay the main track.

If you don't move the cursor line and add a further text ...or the cursor line passes through your first text, VP will place it on Video Track 3  etc.

If there is enough space in front of your first text and the cursor line position is suitable,  a new text will also be placed on Video Track 2  otherwise it will be placed on Video Track 3

The rule of thumb is that texts clips are placed on the first available higher track at the cursor position.

The fact you had them all (apparently) on Video Track 4 was because they went their by default, the lower tracks being occupied at the cursor line position, or you played the sequence to check each one was OK, leaving the cursor line at the end and then adding the next text etc. Consequently they ended up all on the same higher Track.

Depending on the size you have for the Preview area, (controlled by dragging the horizontal white bar below it up/down) you may only be able to see two tracks when they are set at full height. To see more you can scroll the tracks up/down with the scroll bar at the right hand end or reduce the height of the tracks by clicking the Expand Track down-chevron at the extreme left of the track. The easiest way to see more tracks however is to simply drag the white bar under the preview area up as far as will go. This should enable you to see at least five tracks.

To move the texts down to a lower track (assuming there is enough space for them there) is to grab them and then drag/drop them onto the lower track in question.

This process will not create duplicates, or leave copies of the original behind.

This is Drag and Drop process NOT Copy/Paste which will duplicate.

Nat

I had a stack of 3 clips near the beginning of the project so that why all next clips were placed on track 4. Because track 4 was out of sight I kept dragging the same text clip on the time line and ended up with 2. With this test placement rule in mind it should be easy enough to work around it :)

• borate changed the title to Text placed on track 4 and out of sight