How to fade out without next clip fading in?

Stevens R Miller

Hi all! First post, so I hope I follow the local courtesy rules. I did a search on my question, but there are so many posts here with "fade" in them that I couldn't tell if what I'm after was in there or not.

Here it is: When I add the "fade out" video effect to the last clip in a sequence, it does what I want: it fades to black, applying its full duration to the clip, going to black at the clip's last frame. But, if I add the same video effect to any clip that is not the last clip in a sequence, it behaves as if I had added the "Fade through black" transition, using half of its duration to fade to black at the clip's last frame, but then using the remaining half of its duration to fade in from black at the start of the next clip.

I want to do the exact same thing "Fade out" does when used in the last clip in a sequence. I want it to fade to black, using its entire duration in the clip to which I apply it, and have no effect at all on the clip that follows.

As I worked on this, trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong, I noticed that the "Fade in" video effect behaves the same whether it is applied to the first, last, or any other clip in a sequence. It only affects the clip to which it is applied. I would have expected "Fade out" to behave the same way, but it doesn't.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to fade a clip gradually to black without having any effect on the next clip after it?

Thanks in advance for any help!

You are doing nothing wrong;  this has been on the wish list.  Two workarounds...

1.  Expand the timeline with the slider at the right-bottom and drag the left edge of the second clip very slightly to the right, to create a gap.  If it snaps back, hold down <alt> while dragging.  Bear in mind that this may alter linked audio, so UNlink first if necessary.  Now apply the fade.  The result should mirror the left image, below.

2.  Open the effects window on the clip to be faded by clicking its FX button.  Choose the TRANSPARENCY effect and program it as shown in the image:  100% at the beginning, a 100% keyframe where the fade is to begin, and a ZERO keyframe where it is to end (drag the blue line to the bottom).

image.pngimage.png

Hi

Here's an alternative which you might find simpler...

Place a blank black clip on the overlay track at the end of the the clip to fade out.Line it up so it finishes at the join.  Let's assume you want a two second fade. Make the duration of the blank clip 2 seconds.

Click the f on the blank clip and make the fade in duration 2 seconds.

....and that's it. Time line will look like this....

aa.jpg

The blank will fade in to black and will stop at the clip join on track 1  If you want to use it again then just copy/[aste the blank clip to another join.

Nat

5 minutes ago, Nationalsolo said:

Here's an alternative which you might find simpler.
If you want to use it again then just copy/paste the blank clip to another join.

Hey, that's pretty clever too! Has the advantage that the "effect" clip doesn't vanish if I change the positions of clips in the main sequence. I'll try it!

The official answer back from NCH support is that you put the clip following the one you want to fade out on a different video track.

[I would put a picture here, but I can't seem to find anything on the menubar that allows me to.]

Yet another approach.

But if you look closely you will note that the FADE transition fades out completely at the halfway point of the fade duration.

Either Nat's method or my suggestion to use the TRANSPARENCY effect will overcome that.  CROSSFADE is more accurate when used on the last clip in the sequence.

A request is in to implement FADE as an true fade, not a fade out/fade in,. with a duration prompt.

Time will tell. ^_^

1 hour ago, borate said:

But if you look closely you will note that the FADE transition fades out completely at the halfway point of the fade duration.

Hey, you're right! I did think it seemed to be fading rather abruptly, but I attributed that to inadequate gamma in the clip. Checking the actual image confirms you are correct: because it isn't really a "fade out" at all (but a fade through black that has nothing to fade up to), it uses the wrong curve. What a mess! But, yes, either of your suggestions making use of actual transparency (either as an effect or by fading in a black clip on a higher track number) gets it right.

Appreciate all the help. (Now can you tell me how to include pictures in these forum posts? 🙂)

11 minutes ago, borate said:

You're doing it right.  Folks visiting here will click your link to see the image.  The ability to post the image itself has been disabled for visitors, owing to security concerns.

Ah. Thanks again.