Unable to set clip start and end times

Steven Brown

I am trying to set exact start and end times for images imported as clips. See screen shot at

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Pc35nORwVziQ0w5sRmAtUDgHjlIOXucO/view?usp=sharing 

The help file says "On the clip preview's timeline, the Start Time shows as a red triangle, and the End Time shows as a blue triangle."

I do not see any triangles.

"Alternatively, move the clip preview's current playback position and select Clip -> Player -> Set Clip Start Time or Set Clip End Time, or click the red or blue flag icon button."

In the menu, Set Clip Start Time and Set Clip End Time are grayed out. What am I missing?

With a clip selected, drag the red cursor line (with the little triangle on top) in the preview thumbnail area to the right until it's where you want to begin.  Click the SET START button.

Drag the line to where you want to end and click the SET END button.  Click the ADD button to drop your selection onto the sequence at the cursor location.

Or click the chevron to the right of the ADD button to see other choices.  image.png

There may also be TRIM START and TRIM END buttons on the toobar that accomplish the same thing.

Hi

You are using Images and not video clips. The red and blue START and END brackets will only be present on Video Clips that is why you won't see them. The start and end positions of the clip  depend on where you decide to place the image which defines the start and the duration of the image which defines the end.  Having placed an image at the correct start position  you can set the end position by simply dragging the right hand edge of the clip on the timeline to the left. Alternatively with the image clip on the timeline you can split at the required positions and delete the unwanted sections.  

Nat

Nationalsolo,

I know I'm using images, not video clips, so I would expect setting start and end times to be easy. I can drag the left and right borders of the image thumbnail in the timeline, but that does not give me precise control of start and end times, down to a fraction of a second. Is there a way that start and end times can be entered numerically, instead of dragging? 

On the sequence (not preview) move the cursor to the desired position, then slide the clip left or right to match that spot.  Expand the timeline with the slider at the bottom-right for more precision.  image.png

Specific times can be entered as well.  Be sure that the focus is on the sequence.  Click the Cursor box that's under the preview window.  Then type the desired time and hit <enter>.  image.png