For some really weird reason, taking a snap shot is not working. I'll find the perfect frame for a picture, then I right click on the frame in the sequence review, 

then I click on "Take Snap Shot Of Clip", then I click HD 720 (1280x720). But instead of the perfect frame, it takes a snap shot of the frame that is

several frames ahead of the one that I am trying to take.

Any advice?

What version of Videopad is this?  Install the latest. For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

Report back if it's still an issue.  Checked here against a countdown clock, it was dead on.

Hi

Although either display will (should) produce a snapshot of what it contains, the prompt you quote comes up when you right click the Clip Preview window. (Take Snapshot of Clip.)  the image here is not necessarily the same as the one displayed in the Sequence Preview window which may be the one you want.  Right click the Sequence Preview and the snapshot should be the one you want.

Nat

Unable to replicate that, using version  8.35.

Used a clip of a countdown clock, clicked the single-frame forward button until a second had just changed from one # to another.  Took a snap.

Then clicked the single-frame backwards button until the earlier second just appeared.  Took a snap.

In each case, a clip or sequence snapshot resulted in a still image that was exactly where the cursor had been parked.

I.O.W.:  When parked on the last frame of three seconds, the snap was of "3."  If parked on the first frame of four seconds, the snap was "4."

If VP were taking a snap several frames ahead (later) the "3" would have been a "4."  If it were taking a snap earlier the "4" would have been a "3."

Hi

Athough snapshot seems to be working here OK using VP 8.35, I think there is an anomaly here.  I suspect it is linked to the fps of either your clip or the "next frame" interval of the sequence /clip preview display. Certainly something odd.

Try this...

• Open VP and set Options to show dual previews
  • Place cursor at start of the timeline
  • Click Add Title
  • Select Stopwatch  and set to display in red  so it is visible in both displays
  •  
  • aa.jpg
  • Take snapshot of Sequence Preview.......Here is what you get...
  •  
  • bb.jpg
  • It's not 0:00:00  which is what one would expect
  • The main display now shows this........
  •  
  • bb.jpg
  • For some reason the Clip Preview is showing an incorrect image as the cursor was not moved and it's incorrect anyway, but its the same as the Sequence Preview snapshot.

Repeat the setup and then step forward by 1 frame Previews  show this.... The fps are 30fps = .033 so sequence display shows 0:00:03  I dont expect the clip preview to change so that is OK at 0:00:00

ccc.jpg

Now take a Snapshot of the Sequence Preview......... It should show 0:00:03    but........

dd.jpg

So something wrong.

Is  Snapshot not actually snapshotting the Sequence Preview?

Nat

Results here with dual preview Stopwatch are somewhat inconsistent with Nat's.  However, the Stopwatch may not be suitable to judge this, as it's splitting seconds into seemingly finer increments than the attached countdown.  (Right-click on it to download).

Incrementing to where :01 first appears in both preview windows - the clip cursor time is shown as 1:083;  the sequence time is 1:082.

Incrementing to where :02 first appears in both - clip cursor time is 2.040;  for the sequence 2:039.  Slight inconsistency there, yet perhaps normal.

That said, if clip preview is parked just prior to a second change - 00 - and sequence is parked just after - 01 - then snapshots of either window are accurate.

As a practical example a fast-action clip was ended midway, then a sequence snap was taken of its final frame and added to the end of the clip.  The freeze was flawless.  Had the snap been of any other frame, there would have been a jump cut.

A.mahoney24, please upload a clip where the issue occurs and someone will check it out.

Might be worth forwarding this thread to the devs who could explain the anomalies.

Hi Borate

Whatever the intricacies of the increments of the stopwatch and I had already noted the differences  you mention. I would have thought that the snapshot would reflect the image shown in the preview window and not what might be held in the stopwatch itself.As the preview steps along at 30fps the readout on screen is correct but snapshot of it isn't . Why does 0:00:03  in the preview  become 0:01:00 in the snapshot   It suggests snapshot advances by rounded up seconds. This would be in effect three frames in preview.

In fact I test this idea and stepped along until the preview screen read 0:00.23......The snapshot still came out as 0:01:00!

Phaffing around with this a bit I have now discovered that the Snapshot in this case just shows the Timer duration time setting when it should snapshot the time shown in the preview window.  This is a bug. But it may not explain A.Mahoney24's problem. Have posted S.

Nat

Hi B

That is the case but I dragged the cursor bar well into the 2nd second of a 4 second Stopatch timer Title image (Clip length also 4 seconds)  i.e. 0.02.50

aa.jpg

and the snapshot  of this Sequence Preview window showed......

bb.jpg

So this is a bug I think.

Nat