St Bosse

I am struggling with a flickering fade-in or cross-fade transition, regardless of frame speed or resolution, it stays the same. It looks as if the steps (resolution) during fade-in are very coarse. It should by smooth but instead flickers along until full image. 

Any assistance to solve this problem please.

What VP version are you using?  Try the latest.for Windows.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

If the problem persists someone here will be glad to look over your project.  Just share it...

Here's how...  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

If it contains sensitive material link it in a personal message (PM).  Click the envelope above.  It won't be passed on or retained.  Use FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS, not simply SAVE PROJECT, and don't forget to share it.

I have started  using VP about a month ago to assist someone in this virus pandemic. This is my first videos and VP was updated to version 8.23 on April 1, 2020. I have updates as above and now it wants met to pay again!!?? (...and caused me a lot of work during a restore process) I feel that smooth fading in and out is a very basic transition since day one of video editors and should work properly.  Can you please help?

The  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/ is a "closed" topic.  ????

Closed to comments.  Just follow the "portable" instructions in the link, upload your project, share it (make it public), copy the shared link and post it here or privately.  Someone will be glad to check out the issue...and likely solve it.  No fade glitches seen here.  Are you running a PC or a Mac?

As mentioned above, updates are free within 6-months of purchase.  But the purchased program will continue to work indefinitely.

Hi

There was no obvious flicker of the fades noted in the VP preview.

However when exported at a Variable frame rate,  flicker was present particularly with the first fade in.

It suggests that the Export frame rate you set may been a variable frame rate  and a bit low (30fps?)  Do another export and choose a higher Constant frame rate which you may find much smoother.

Your project exported OK at a Constant 30fps here but also smooth with Constant 60fps.

If you consider your first fade in. It's 2.6 seconds. At 30 fps that means around 70 shade increments. These would be regular increments at a constant frame rate  and would be barely noticed. If the frame rate varies then the shading increments would

Not necessarily be regular in frequency.

And more importantly, show jumps in the degree of shading to match the changing frame rate....i.e. There would be a discernible flicker.

At a higher Variable frame rate the flicker MAY go unnoticed

Nat

Hi Nationalsolo,

Thank you for the response. I've sorted the problem, by as you and borate suggested,  at 60fps constant.  Problem is that the flickering at 30fps just doesn't look good, so I'll try and stay away from 30. Only problem is then that persons with apple products seem to have problems viewing at 60fps !!??  (a still outstanding question: What is the best format to send to apple product users, frame rate and resolution?)

I am bit confused by your statement "There was no obvious flicker of the fades noted in the VP preview" , because the flickering there is what started me checking and testing. Maybe you have a high persistence monitor  that catches the flickering or is there a setting where one can set the frame rate in the VP preview itself?

MFG

St B

• borate changed the title to Flickering transitions?