Bugs and bugs and bugs and stuck with buggy version

gdog

v7.51 zoom fx doesn't seem to render my clips to the full resolution, and I don't mean degradation from zooming in because the scale fx doesn't have the same issue.  Playback frequently is full of bugs, such as freezing framing during a clip with zoom fx, and playing normal on an adjacent clip. Zoom fx is half baked.  One clip there's a mysterious black frame that flashes during playback. Black freeze frames also appear towards end or random places of several clips for no reason.  Sometimes freezes play ok when I go in and add a decimal point to an fx.  SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS.  Can't update to newer versions as license has run out. So I'm stuck with a constantly buggy incomplete beta program.  It always does this crap, seemingly the more complex the edit the crappier it gets.

Suggestions...

Test this version.  Even if not licensed it will still be mostly full-featured during the trial period.  Retain your old installer and license info.

What are your PC's specs:  CPU/GPU/free space on C:/RAM?

Created a ZOOM area, then scaled up to full frame.  Then used SCALE alone to display the same area.  Exported each and took a screen grab.  One was indistinguishable from the other.

Zoom was reworked in recent versions and should convert original resolution to output in one step.  Say if you zoom both 1/2 width and height on a 4K video and export to 1k, There will be no scaling.  Do a resolution comparison and link it here.

Not seeing your issues reported in the forum or in projects recently tested.

The best way to get to the bottom things is to share via a public link.  Then others can see what you see.

Here's how...  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

If it contains sensitive material you can link it in a personal message (PM) to me, via the envelope above.  Be sure to FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS, not simply SAVE PROJECT, and don't forget to share it.

This isn't the first time I've had these edit issues. Plenty of black frames, clip freezing on previous edits. And clip ends sometimes overlap the adjacent clip in playback even though I set the clip to end.

Take a look at this:

Black Frame during edit - https://youtu.be/oc4pa2Td4Zo

Zoom vs. Scale - https://youtu.be/HAvh_q278Ss

Using an Inspiron 5090; a brand spanking new computer. Intel Core i9-9900K CPU 3.60ghz 3.6 ghz, 64 GB installed ram (63.9GB usable)

Let's see the portable project per the above instructions.  We'll test it in v7.51 and others.  If it's a bug since corrected you may be in line for a complimentary license.

As to the zoom vs scale issue, your video shows what appears to be a position/sizing, not resolution, change - though it's tough to tell.

Here is a similar demo of a split-clip with zoom one half and scale on the other.  Sizing and position have been lined up.  No difference in resolution is apparent.

I don't like sharing my projects. What more do you need to see?  I take a clip that plays normally, import it to videopad, put it on a track, isolated from other clips, it plays buggy. I take the same image, place it on the same track, apply zoom to one, scale to the other, they render differently.  I did notice things getting buggier as I added more things.  Some clips would freeze and such. I even experienced my timeline video tracks lose their thumbnail and just show as blank clips in the timeline.  It crashed on me at one point also.  And then somehow some clips would unreliably come back/work while others would fail. Are you suggesting something from out of sight of the timeline is somehow affecting them?  In the future, I might make a dummy project but I don't have time for that now. If it's performance/ram related, I'm working on a brand new computer, I also had similar issues on my old computer, with previous versions too.

You can share privately via the envelope in the top-right corner.  The project won't be passed on or retained but used strictly for analysis.

In past versions there have been some issues along the lines that you cite, but it is difficult to pin them down without running the project.

In lieu of that, about the only alternative is for you to test a current, unlicensed version, as linked above.  A reinstall won't hurt.

Clear unused cache files, under OPTIONS | EDITING.

Thanks for sharing your work.  A resolution difference in the slide was evident in your project.  So, using v8.09, the slide clip was placed twice on the timeline...

One was scaled to approximate your sizing.  The other was zoomed and positioned, using sliders, then scaled to match.  There is no perceptible change between them.

The Tinkerbell video on the timeline was the same as the source clip in the bin.  However, on a few occasions it froze at the end.  Lengthening or eliminating the "bug" key or clearing cache restored it.

Performance was similar in v7.51 and export looked good.

So do I get a complimentary license since my version has expired?  Why does this all stuff happen in the first place?  Clips' random freezing at the end sounds buggy and unnatural to me.  Having to clear the cache manually or encountering these errors to begin with is a big inherent problem.

If a user discovers a reproducible bug that is later fixed, they may be offered a gratis update, but that's not for me to decide.  The project linked earlier plays well.

Why the freeze - unknown - but Clearing Unused Cache Files is wise prior to starting a new project or when running into issues, especially if switching between VP versions.

Keep the forum posted on specifics.

It's usually best to edit/export with a single version, but there's no harm in checking out the latest, even though it isn't licensed.

Hi

Just checked this out with VP 8.06  and Vista PC

Cleared the cache and loaded the vpj file. In preview The Tinkerbell section played with no apparent bugs. The tiny "BUG" text showed nothing untoward at that point and even frame by frame I didn't see anything odd. She flies off to the right and the clip fades into some flowers.....

aa.jpg

There are no cuts  so I have to assume there is nothing wrong here. No hangups or jerky playback.

The next clip, the Zoomed clip looked identical in resolution to the Scaled clip. (There was a slight misalignment as the scales were not absolutely identical

Zoomed.......

ZOOM.jpg

Scaled.....

SCALE.jpg

As mentioned the whole sequence played in preview from end to end exactly as expected with no apparent bugs.

Exported as a 2560 x 1440 mp4 clip  @ 45 fps the sequence played absolutely perfectly in VLC from end to end. No bugs, stutters or blanks etc.

It may be due to your version of VP.

Nat

I cleared my cache, restarted videopad, I still get a black frame.  I don't know why I'm getting it and you're not; it's there, I've screen recorded what happens, it happens.  I'm stuck at v7.51 so no point in testing higher. Where do I apply for complimentary update? The zoomed and scaled rendering look significantly different. Even if it exports better, it is nerve wracking editing with a ton of sequence playback errors that don't match the export.  I shouldn't have to export every time I see a playback error just so I know if it affects the export or not. I've had exports with flashes of black frames in cuts too. And then I'd have to go back and edit the final export to make it work again, wasting space with two multi GB final exports.

There is no application, but there is a  form to bring your concerns to the company.  Mention this thread...  https://tinyurl.com/uwyhj74

That a bug has been fixed in a later release can be verified only when developers/engineers can run tests.  Please upload your full portable project privately to my PM box.

Retested your excerpt in v7.51 and exported with default settings.  Looked fine but for the slight resolution difference that could be seen when comparing zoom alone with scale alone.  This seemed dependent upon what the precise settings were.  The reason may be that stills are fields - vs. frames when played.  Doubt that it's a bug.

When a test of another graphic was exported at 413x432 (recommended) the difference between the two was imperceptible.

Hi

The Tinkerbell clip is a complete clip so unless there IS a blank frame(s) actually present in that clip I can't see how VP can put one in. I can't see one, even zoomed in and moving a frame at a time. This is with VP 8.06.

Uninstalled this version and loaded VP 7.51 (unlicensed demo for this version). Cleared the cache and loaded your vpj file. It all played (previewed) absolutely fine in this version. No missing/black frame noticed when zoomed in at the "BUG" position.........

aa.jpg

Bit of a mystery.  (Without looking up the license key for the demo version it won't export.)

What are your export parameters? Could this be a hardware problem????

Nat