Export different than preview

DanielB

Well I have set something or embedded something that is changing the size when exported.  Many times I have exported to 1920 x 1080 and it views perfectly.
Then today after getting an effect saved and used in a few places, the export now cuts the sides off.  I've tried every combination of resolution and still it's cropped for some reason.

Any ideas?

DB

You are getting closer. ^_^   You need to save PORTABLE project as, not save PROJECT as.

This will create a folder with all the files, including the .vpj.  Zip the folder if there are many files.

Or simply upload the folder and share it.

-0-0-

When you save a project, it's advisable to use SAVE AS and give the project a unique number or name, in order not to overwrite an earlier save.

Then you can restore multiple versions of your work.  This is apart from a portable project that can be uploaded or transported via USB as described above.

Hi DB

What effect were you using? In another post you mentioned you were scaling a clip to make it smaller. (i.e. you would be setting a value for the horizontal or vertical (or both) to less than 1. In some instances this might result in black borders to the export. Check the effects you may have used and if you don't find anything follow Borates suggestions above  and upload the project to dropbox or a similar site and share it with a link back here. Someone will take a look .

Nat

Good work!

Exported at YouTube 1920 x 1080 with the CROP dot enabled looks fine for the image sizes.

But there are problems with the text.  Remember, to be superimposed, text must be placed on a higher track than the underlying video.  Some text early-on is not.

Much of the text is out-of-range both in preview and export.  To avoid that, break up the text into separate lines.  The can extend beyond the video, but must fit within the preview frame border.

Large blocks of text (an example is "we appreciate you") scroll left to right.  Most of that won't be seen.  Instead, scroll it bottom to top, giving ample time for reading.  To make text faster or slower, simply drag its clip borders to create a smaller or larger clip.

You might also employ a bit of black outline on text, for readability when it's superimposed over a white background.

Text is not cropped to video width in either preview or export here. In my HD mp4 test the text scrolls from frame border-to-border.  It's not cropped to image width.

The two images below confirm this.  The one of the left is preview, the one on the right is the exported final.  They are virtually the same.

Compare the text layout below to the original.  Lines have been broken up and font size slightly reduced (and made black, for purposes of demonstration).

Scroll if desired.  But text must fit within the preview window, regardless of video background size.

VP_text.jpg

VP_text_width.jpg

haha you have to slow down a little, I'm a beginner here. Is there a way to achieve what I was trying to do of scrolling text across the bottom of the video, cropping the bottom of the video so the text happily scrolls along and talks whilst a video is being played? I'm very nervous I only have a few days to get this complete and I'm now very worried :(

This forum is your best bet. Then others can offer what may be better suggestions.

If a right-to-left scroll is desired, then that option should be chosen and text should be typed in as one continuous line - no line breaks.

If the text edit box isn't shown, right-click the clip on the timeline and EDIT TEXT.  For lower-third placement choose the option indicated by the arrow below.

The speed of the text is dependent upon the size of the text clip.  Larger = slower;  smaller = faster.  So the clip must be long enough to allow easy reading.

UNlock the track and drag text clip margins right or left to adjust its size.

VP_text.jpg

As noted above, when exported at YouTube 1920 x 1080 with the CROP dot enabled it looks fine for the image sizes - same as preview.  Other resolutions may give similar results.  Player settings may be adjustable - for best presentation.  The sole issue appears to be text composition and placement.

Remember, if text is to be superimposed, it must be on a higher track than the background material.  That's not the case with several texts early on in your film.

Hi

You have a nice tribute here but it is slightly complex in the way you have arranged it. :)

All your texts ought be placed on the upper tracks so they overlay the Video clips correctly. It is then much easier to adjust their length. Some that you have placed on Video Track 1  (like Text(7)  are  effectively hidden by  the coincident clip on the upper overlay track. You can correct this by moving it to an upper track like Video Track 4. However, as it has a black background it will now hide the Video clip below it!  To correct this slect Text Clip (7) from the image bin and change the text background......the easiest way is to set the Background Opacity to 0...

Provided you don't need to overlap (overlay) them, try to keep all the video clips as far as possible on the same track. Create gaps if you need them by positioning them with the Alt key pressed. It makes editing much easier. Do the same for the text clips/images. keeping  these on the upper tracks. (preferably all on Video track 2  You can then adjust them to fit the length of the video clips beneath.

In general, as you have set them up things on the whole aren't too bad. Note however that the text scrolling feature in the previous VP version was faulty. In the latest (7.10) it has been corrected.

The main problem you have is the Text formatting, font size and line length  in the editor..

Vertical scrolling text like Text(7) should be adjusted to fit the Sequence preview screen which is not the width of the text editor window.. Remember that the text width seen in the editor depends on the font size...bigger font,longer line but less on the preview screen. Although the text line you enter may fit the editor it may overflow the screen if the font is too large or the line is too long. use the Sequence preview to monitor what the result looks like..WYSIWYG....

Text Clip (7) for example is even longer than the editor window!...

qq.jpg

This would scroll horizontally with no problem but to correctly scroll vertically as you require it will need to be rearranged in the editor as follows to appear correctly in the preview....(Note the central justification setting)

(I have used xxxs to blank out names etc.)

xx.jpg

As another example Text Clip (9) also needs to be placed on a higher track with the background made transparent. The vertically scrolling text again will need to be spread over two or more lines

aa.jpg

Proceed along the timeline checking and correcting each text in a similar way as above. They are mostly formatting problems like these two examples.  In each case use the red cursor line to "scrub" along the timeline to check that the text starts and finishes where you want it to and scrolls the way you want it to. If it overlaps a following clip on the lower track then either move the clip along the track (using Alt if necessary)  or shorten the duration of the text clip by dragging the right hand end back a little.

It will take a little while to correct it all but you should get there OK.

Good Luck

Nat

Hi D

It wouldn't be your project then. :)  You nearly have it completed however Most of the hard work is done!   Start by unlocking the tracks. Move Text clip (7) up vertically to say, track 4 and adjust the background Opacity to 0.  This will make it play over the lower video

Now with Sequence Preview open, scroll along the timeline from the start slowly by dragging the red cursor line. When you see text in sequence preview that doesn't fit,  note the clip name and then select that text clip  from the image bin. Readjust the formatting until it looks Ok when you scrub along the timeline with the cursor bar. Then carry on to the next text line. If a video clip is covering the text then move the text clip vertically up (like Text clip 7)

As you get sections working OK just "Save your project as" with a number. 

Shouldn't take very long...(Honest!)

Nat

Adding to Nat's solid suggestions, there's no need to specify a black background if text clips are in the clear - not superimposed over any video.  Leave the text compose box setting at "editor background."

The basic project is complete.

One way to correct the text clips with minimal confusion might be to first delete them all from the timeline.  Then, one by one, position and size them per Nat's advice on a single track that is above any video track.

If a scroll is desired, select the trajectory from the scroll box.

Tic the outline box, choose a color and adjust the slider, if text is hard to read when superimposed.  That will make it stand out.

If needed, use the positioning buttons to move text to top/bottom/right/left, etc.  Or, in the preview window, drag the text while holding down the left mouse button.

Check that each text clip works the way you desire, then move onto the next.

Use FILE|SAVE PROJECT AS to regularly back it up.  Specify an incremented, unique # or name.  If just plain SAVE is used, prior saves will be overwritten.

Remember, all text must fit within the PREVIEW window.  Create individual lines using font sizes that accomplish this.  Ignore excess black left and right of the text in the CREATION window.

VP_text.jpg

14 hours ago, Nationalsolo said:

Hi DB

What effect were you using? In another post you mentioned you were scaling a clip to make it smaller. (i.e. you would be setting a value for the horizontal or vertical (or both) to less than 1. In some instances this might result in black borders to the export. Check the effects you may have used and if you don't find anything follow Borates suggestions above  and upload the project to dropbox or a similar site and share it with a link back here. Someone will take a look .

Nat

Thanks borate, but this is a company project in which we are proposing an automation solution for Tyson foods so I can't share the content at least not at this point.

Nat, I had used the Scale effect on the photos and setting up the template was really easy per your instructions again thanks for that.
The effect is this: Image starts in center of frame at 0 Horiz and Vert ratios.  Image not visible then increases in size evenly  to .75 for Horiz and vert ratio for
maybe 2 seconds then back to 0.  No changes for Base or Offset etc.  Works great is smooth and I like it. 

While fumbling around trying to find the export "cropping" anomaly with no luck I decided to remove the effect on all 4 images and see what we get. 
Same thing at export so the image effect apparently didn't make any difference.  I really believe I have something screwed up in export as simple as it is.

Looking at it again this morning. BTW is there a way to only export a small portion of the video ie start and end point for the sequence as you would with an individual clip?  I could do that and post it on YT or something as an example.

Thanks for the help.

DanielB

Is there a way to only export a small portion of the video ie start and end point for the sequence as you would with an individual clip?

Create a new blank sequence by clicking the + on the sequence tab above the timeline.

In the initial sequence select (highlight) the clips to be exported and press <ctrl-C> to copy.

Switch to the newly created sequence by clicking on its tab.

Position the scrubber (red line) at the head of that blank sequence and press <crtl-V> to paste.

Export that sequence.

You can upload that or the entire project and share it privately via a personal message to me or Nat.  It won't be seen in the forum.

Perfect, thanks for the tip on partial exports. 

I just had a look at a couple of the last segments I added to the sequence.  One of them was 1080 x 1920, whereas all the other segments are 1920x1080.
I'm guessing that when you start the export and it looks at all the files, it's seeing this last segment as the rule for the resolution.... maybe?

Solved.... in the time I was typing this post the export test finished and that was it.  The last segment res is what governed the cropped output.
I was sure that I tried the "force" option once when exporting but regardless it didn't seem to work like I thought it would.

Next I will add back in the template for the scaling and I should be fine.  Then I'll figure out how to use the odd segments step at a time.

Thanks for the input people!

I believe it did "auto-match" to the odd size video clip and that's what set the video final resolution, therefore corrupted.

I found the corruption though.  The one video segment reports 1080 x 1920, with a/r of 9:16.  Backwards compared to everything else.  I tried to change the a/r and the cropping and while it did look different in the sequence it would not render properly.

I was able to render this segment alone and then insert it back in the original sequence and it's fine.  Not sure why it works that way but it's the only method that worked.  

borate.....whatever you have done. However you fixed it. You sir are a fucking genius. I am so so happy with it now and it's perfect. exactly what I imagined. I still can't wqork out what the issue was but you defo did!

Thank you so so much!