Audio Overlay Fine Tuning

italiangen

Hi Borat,  Again, thanks for your help.  I have a few quick questions.

1. How do I fine tune the difference in timing between the 6 incorrect words spoken (T1) and the 3 word correction (T2).  After I line up and mute T1 (6 words) and line up T2 (3 words) all is OK, except there is dead space on T2 until T1 comes back in. 

2. If I make my splits and much later on I want to remove those splits and redo them for more precision, how is that accomplish?  I cant seem to figure out how to use the white brackets on the timeline to to this.

Thanks,  PeterD

If the hole (original) is longer than the fill (the fix), about all one can do is cut something out of the original.  That will create a jump frame.  The fill audio could also be slowed,  or individual words spaced out from one another, though the result may not sound natural.  Experiment.

A clip that's been split can usually be UNsplit.  Line up the mouse pointer on the split line between the two halves and right-click.  There may be an Unsplit Clips choice.  Otherwise just ignore the original split and make a new one where desired.  There will be no discontinuity at the split points.  The white brackets [  ] are used to drag start and end points of clips.

OK.  I got it.  Thanks.  I saved the project and exported an MP4.  Once completed, I played it and the result on the audio side where not as it was when I played it in VPE.  I played it in VLC and Windows Media Player and both splits were a little different.  I replayed in VPE to see if it was good as I had edited it and it was.  Any ideas?   I also noticed that the volume is different between VLC and WMP.  Tks. 

Hi

The white brackets can be used to change the length of  a clip that is on the timeline but only from a join. You can drag the start of a clip to the right to shorten it, or drag the end of a clip to the left to shorten it. (Using the correct bracket)  A gap does not form as VP automatically closes the ends of the clips together again. 

The process is reversible so a clip that you have shortened in this way can be restored partially or fully using the brackets again.

You can also restore sections of clips you have previously  edited out using Split and Delete since this action produces a join where the white brackets appear.. Any linked sound is restored at the same time. If you have unlinked the sound then this is not restored creating a gap. You can however close the gap or use the sound track white bracket.

Note you can't lengthen a clip beyond its full length...but you CAN extend image clips that are on the timeline using the brackets.

Nat