A couple of useful suggestions for clip info.....

Nationalsolo

Hi NCH

Two suggestions which users might find useful...

1.  Currently it's difficult to find a particular clip on the Track in Storyboard mode when the focus has been lost when toggling between Timeline/Storyboard as cursor is usually sent to start of the track. Hovering over the "slides"  does not reveal the name of the clip as it does in Timeline mode and I feel it should.  This is useful when one needs to find a particular clip amongst dozens of similar clips. The only way at present to find the clip name in this mode is to select or right click a  "slide" and examine the properties of each one which is annoying and not necessary when hovering is the simple remedy as is done in the timeline mode.***
  2. My second suggestion comes up as I am using many lo-res clips to do the initial editing for the sake of rendering and editing speed, and then replacing them at the end with same- name hi-res clips. As the names are the same I have had a couple of instances where the clips have been inadvertently interchanged. One can't tell from the name whether a clip is low-res or hi-res  as they look identical (obviously) and only clip size will easily distinguish between the two. There is nowhere within VP that indicates the size of a selected clip (AFAIK.)    The Properties window (at least) ought to show the size in Kb of the particular clip selected. Other places where the info could be included would be in the "Hover" box for the timeline clips (and hopefully the same for the Storyboard mode clips as suggested in (1)) and lastly the clip size ought appear in the List view of the clips in the bin.

"Why not stay in Timeline mode then?"  is the obvious question....I went into Storyboard mode in order to find and delete some TINY clip remnants that appeared after exchanging the lo-res clips for hi-res clips. (I did find  some problems with this method of working  but that's another matter.) The remnants were so small that they only became visible at maximum zoom and even then were still too narrow to grab and delete in the normal way as the square brackets got in the way. Switching into Storyboard mode however, put the cursor and the track back to the start. I knew the number of the clips either side of each remnant (I use numbered clips) but it still meant scrolling through around 80 to 100  "Slides" and testing each one with properties to see where I had got to.

Nat

Hi B

I convert to the lo-res using the same dimensions as the original so Properties show them as the same.

05ENvu.jpg

Properties on the left is for the Hi-res clip and Lo-res on the right. (Names are actually dentical but VP adds(1) in this demo as I loaded them both at the same time) The only visible difference is that the LR is very slightly shorter in duration. The disc sizes were.....

HR  = MPEG4 15 Mb

LR =  Converted to  Lo res MPEG2 = 1.6 Mb

So VERY reduced. Virtually no difference is visible in the timeline thumbnails and the Preview is 512 x 288 . Degredation is only really visible when the window is undocked and blown up a bit. On my PC editing goes without any stops/delays or glitches and it seems pretty fast. When editing finished I just swap the files over...They have the same names and the VPj file seems to load them with no problem to give a Hi res timeline.

Nat

Hi B

I think it depends on the converter.(Possibly)  Here, I re-numbered the clips  using Irfanview . The original MPEG4s from the camera were HD 1280 x 720 . (The camera does higher res but 3-400 clips over the 24 hours of filming would have filled it up before the event finished)

Using AVC  I converted these  to mpeg2 1280 x 720 as these edited with VP more smoothly than the original MPEG4. (AVC keeps the originals so nothing is lost)  For a typical MPEG4 clip doing this reduced the size from 10Mb to around 3.5 Mb. Then I noticed AVC had another conversion setting to reduce the quality  but keeping the same resolution.This made the same mpeg2 clip around 1.6 Mb. but still 1280 x 720. (a bit blocky when previewed in VP at the higher setting.) That's why VP shows both clip types with the same resolution in my image above.

These lo-res clips edit with no hangups at all. The only complication is that AVC adds ...-mpg.mpg  to the name and this needs to be split off. A batch rename in Irfanview takes about 5 seconds ;)

The final result is two files, one with original MPEG4 clips and the other lo-res Mpeg2 clips both sets having the same name (or numbers)

So far the only down side is that reloading the final .vpj using the MPEG4 clips leaves the odd gap in the timeline so it needed a bit of touching up. Just exported Part 3 of this project (105 clips) and it looks fine.  Not sure why there were gaps but I suspect might the slight difference in duration between the clip sets.

Nat

Hi Sam

Yes I think some might find it useful.......also (a small thing I know....) When the project is saved the Export Queue window that comes up with the completed export list is not easy to read ...Black against dark grey......"

05Nluq.jpg

Any chance of making the text perhaps white.... "Complete" in yellow and possibly  "Play"  green (as in Green for Go) (At least increase the contrast.)

e.g.

05NzyI.jpg

Any thoughts?

Nat

On 8/18/2018 at 8:47 AM, Nationalsolo said:

Hi Sam

Yes I think some might find it useful.......also (a small thing I know....) When the project is saved the Export Queue window that comes up with the completed export list is not easy to read ...Black against dark grey......"

That's been fixed in later versions, Nat.  It's now readable once again.