"Locating Burners (Not Responding)"

ad101867

Hi, Forum.  Encountering a strange problem today.  I have 2 external drives that I've used in the past for video projects; both a version of MyBook.  One of them, the older one, has been giving me trouble, so yesterday after shutting down the computer, I unplugged that drive and left it unplugged.  This morning I attempted to work on a VP project and then "Save Movie."  The "scanning available drives" window appeared - followed a moment later by "Not Responding."  So VP is simply frozen now.  This particular project has no link to the drive I unplugged, so why would that have any impact on "Save Movie"...?

Thanks in advance.

• ad101867 changed the title to "Locating Burners (Not Responding)"

Hi Ad101867, have you tried reinstalling the program. The option "save movie" is not link to any drives but it is strange that it will freeze when you chose that option. One thing that you may want to check is to clear unused cache from the program which maybe holding the program down, and to do that you may open Videopad and go to Option (Preferences if you are using Mac OS), then go to Disk, and then click on the button Clear unused Cache Files.  If the issue persist you may want to contact NCH Software support team for further advice. 

Chris, thanks so much for the response.  Turned out it was an anomaly.  After a reboot (maybe two), everything worked like it should.  However, for future reference, when I've created VP projects - and then change versions or for some reason uninstall/reinstall the program - do those project files themselves remain intact and still usable?

Thanks again.

Hi

In general a newer version of VP will load older projects. Very old projects may not load as the architecture of the .vpj file was altered around version 4 (or so) .If it's a matter of an uninstall and reinstall the VP project should always reload provided the files (video clips etc) etc are still available on the PC and in their original folders. The .vpj files are not uninstalled with VP they remain as normal files on the PC.

Nat