Adjusting time of transition

Toadstool

I'm using "crossfade" transition between clips. Sometimes it lets me set it for 3 seconds but other times when I ask for 3 seconds it says it's "invalid" & only lets me have 0.002 seconds (? or something, I forget the exact length but it's tiny & not worth having,) Why is this?

Perhaps because there is insufficient content length in the clips to complete the effect.

For example, for a one-second crossfade, the effect begins at 15-frames into the FROM clip and ends 15-frames into the TO clip, and that one-second must be free of other transitions.

Thanks. Do you mean one (or both) of the clips may be too short for a 3-second fade? - so a frame is a 30th of a second? My clips are usually several minutes each.

If I use the "x" marker in the top R corner of the frame to insert a transition, it often doesn't ask me how long for. The "transitions" tab at top of screen seems more reliable.

Also: hard to tell whether a transition has actually gone in or not. When I play it, when it gets to a join between clips it tends to stop & say "building transition, please wait", & then start the next clip in a minute.

One - or both. A frame is one-thirtieth of a second. In other words, there are 30-frames/sec. for NTSC (US) video.

Also, be certain that you are typing the numbers correctly, into the length box. The many Zeroes can be confusing.

Thanks - think I've got it - trying to delete the 1st few minutes of a clip, I missed the very first fraction of a second, so there was an extra clip of 0.002 seconds or something daft hiding between the clips ,,, zoomed right in & cut it out. I'm slowly getting there.

Hi

"If I use the "x" marker in the top R corner of the frame to insert a transition, it often doesn't ask me how long for. The "transitions" tab at top of screen seems more reliable."

First time around the transition duration is not shown at the bottom of the selection screen. This is unlike earlier versions of VP where you could immediately enter a value in the box. It only shows up at the bottom of the transitions pane if the particular transition is re clicked. I don't know why this cannot be replaced.

To change the value re-click and just swipe the old value and type in the new value in seconds. The up/down arrows change in 10s of a second. If you go into Options you can set the default transition duration under the "Editing" tab. I tend to use 2 seconds.

The transition is automatically positioned centred on the join between the clips and is equally divided between them. Again this is different from earlier versions of VP where you could move the transition about.

If either or both of the clips is too short to fit the half transition at its default duration of 2 seconds, it is automatically shortened. In this case the duration covers all the shorter clip or both clips. If you don't want this you will have to either shorten the duration or lengthen the clips if possible.

On occasion or if incorrectly done, splitting the timeline can leave a very short film segment..a frame or two.. that can only be picked up by zooming in or switching into storyboard mode. If this has happened the transition cannot be correctly generated or appears with a value of 1/10s second duration. Removing the offending "clip" should cure this.

A single frame used as a "clip" will show a transition duration of 0.002 seconds.

Nat