Has the forum format changed?

Nationalsolo

Hi

I noticed recently that the forum suddenly required one to log in before one could gain access to the postings.

No problem actually as the logon page was tyhe first thing visible, but it presumably stopped it being a public forum.

Now I note that this no longer happens and I automatically arrive at the forum page and the login step has been removed..

No problem again except that the "Log in to post" button at the top of the page is no longer active and more importantly new posts since my last visit are no longer highlighted and this was quite useful.

Can this be rectified?

Nat

...The "Log in to post" button at the top of the page is no longer active and more importantly new posts since my last visit are no longer highlighted and this was quite useful.

Agreed. The forum should be accessible without sign-in, as it was earlier and is now, but unread posts should be in boldface.

Hi

"Perhaps I am missing something here, but how can the site know what posts are unread 'to you' unless you are logged in?"

You are quite right but the main point I was making is that, prior to a week or so ago, after logging in, new and unread posts were highlighted as were replies to old posts that you hadn't read. Now they aren't... even when you are logged in....e.g. Your reply didn't highlight this posting when I logged in just now, at least I didn't notice that it had..... I just noticed there were 2 replies. I think it's an option that needs to be turned back on as it was useful.

My comment re. the login button was an error on my part..In fact the "Please log in to reply" prompt is NOT an inactive button as I thought it was. The actual "Sign in" prompt is right at the top of the screen and as I had scrolled down slightly to see the top posting it had disappeared and only the "Please log in to reply" text was visible making me think it was a button. (Got so used to the full screen login page I forgot where the original sign in button was!) :)

So..if you want to reply again I will check if it does highlight the post as it used to.... (after logging in.)

Nat

Guest N_C_H_Rob

Hi All,

I thought I would post here, because I was the one who changed the forums to allow lurkers access to read but not post -- previously you had to log in to even read.

As far as the other issues you have seen with unread post highlighting -- nothing should have changed there, so if you continue to see problems with that while logged in, please let me know and I'll investigate the setttings.

Guest N_C_H_Rob

Hi again,

I apologize for the confusion. We indeed decided to change it back due to some unforseen issues with the new setting.